Author Topic: MK7 GTI Facelift  (Read 302325 times)

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
Re: MK7 GTI Facelift
« Reply #350 on: 19 December 2016, 07:11 »
It looks like the Golf R has slowly evolved in to a variant of the GTI in the looks department. Although iI absolutely loved my GTI PP, I feel the Golf R should have enough difference in appearance to separate them as models.

In the photos of the R, The gloss black rear valance looks like it now honeycomb effect like a GTI.  The side skirts are a gloss black variant of the GTI skirts.  The front valance looks OK but too fussy for me and the air intakes look smaller as a result making the car in photos at least, look less like an R.  The wheels look uninspiring, it would be Pretorias for me on this case.  I guess it will be a case of if you see it in the flesh it will look better.  But the photos don't do it justice and I am now glad I got my Golf R a couple months ago on the original MK7 body. 

However when more photos come out or car is available to look at in the dealership I may sway my opinion, but for now not overly keen on the new Golf R styling.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #351 on: 19 December 2016, 10:44 »
Whoever took those photos did an excellent job. I had a hard time finding as good a photo of the original car from a similar angle.

« Last Edit: 20 December 2016, 00:03 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline LRWmotorsport

• Here all the time
« Reply #352 on: 19 December 2016, 10:49 »
Think the 7.5 R looks 10x better.

More like a performance model than a Match now.
2015 BRSCC PGTI Championship 2nd #55
2016 BRSCC PGTI Championship 2nd (again) #25 & BARC Intermarque
2017 BRSCC PGTI CHAMPIONS #24

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #353 on: 19 December 2016, 11:36 »
Think the 7.5 R looks 10x better.

More like a performance model than a Match now.

Definitely. When it's time for me to change an R could be an option (although we maybe up to a mk10 by then :rolleyes:).
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline cosmos

• Not said much yet
« Reply #354 on: 19 December 2016, 18:05 »
Opinions eh? I'm not a fan of those new wheels at all and I really like the Cadiz wheels!

I'm hoping the Mk8 R is going to be something really special as that'll be out around upgrade time for me.
Golf GTI PP | DSG | 5 door | Carbon Steel Grey | DCC | Tech Pack | Parking Pack

Offline JamesR27

• Here all the time
« Reply #355 on: 19 December 2016, 18:14 »
Would like to see it on a white to see how much more agressive the black on the front bumper stands out.
MK 7.5 R Pure White, Pretoria Silver, DCC, Rear Camera.
Gone - MK 7 GTI Carbon Grey, Rear Camera, Service Pack.
Gone - MK 6 GTI  Reflex Silver, Monza Shadows, RCD 510, Rear Camera, Bluetooth, Tyre Pressure Sensor, Xenons Convenience pack, Service Pack :)
Gone - MK 5 GTI Reflex Silver, Monza II 18's, Luxury Pack, Mulitchanger

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #356 on: 19 December 2016, 18:15 »
Opinions eh? I'm not a fan of those new wheels at all and I really like the Cadiz wheels!

I'm hoping the Mk8 R is going to be something really special as that'll be out around upgrade time for me.
The Cadiz have slowly grown on me and like you, I'm not a fan of the new wheels.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #357 on: 20 December 2016, 10:13 »
Have to say, I like that a lot.  Like the new front end, and the DRL's.  Even like the new wheels, but at 18" they'll be too small, shame they're not available in 19's.  I think its going to be 2019 until we see the mk 8 R, so its a good facelift IMO, especially introducing a virtual cockpit and a bigger nav screen in the centre console.  I'm assuming they're upping the power to 310bhp a la the S3?
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline AndyG

• Here all the time
« Reply #358 on: 20 December 2016, 11:45 »
I think that R wheel is 19" if you zoom in on the tyre it looks like 19.
Golf 7R,DSG,5 door White,leather,rear camera.

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #359 on: 20 December 2016, 12:41 »
I think that R wheel is 19" if you zoom in on the tyre it looks like 19.

Do you know what, after I posted that comment I went back and had another look at the pics and I thought the same as they fill the arches too well to be 18's, but as people were saying they were better than the Cadiz I thought it must be my old eyes playing tricks on me  :laugh:  So, if they are indeed 19's then I think the facelift looks very smart indeed, I like all the changes and I'd certainly be tempted given we aren't going to see a mk 8 R for 3 years I reckon.
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....