Author Topic: MK7 GTI Facelift  (Read 302288 times)

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
Re: MK7 GTI Facelift
« Reply #310 on: 11 November 2016, 14:03 »
No R (or GTD) for the immediate future, so who knows what they might do next :D

Read in a few places that both will be announced in December, which if true has you thinking why delay when the face lift is pretty well set on the interior and would likely be only different on exterior to demonstrate model differences (much as the GTD, GTI and R have subtle differences now)

So that says engines? Bi-Turbo? or maybe just moving away from diesel given its now the devil incarnate for N02 and the scandal. (The Audi diesels remained static on engine at 184 BHP)

They could easily have announced the extra 10 BHP for the R in similar fashion to S3, but maybe there is more of a hike there, 340 BHP? or maybe again its direction they not want to take anymore? and maybe that releases AWD to be used across the Golf range, again like Audi?

Lots of conjecture, some bit out there and unlikely, but strange not announced at same time if not just more of the same as to what announced and what Audi did with the A3
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #311 on: 11 November 2016, 14:10 »
No R (or GTD) for the immediate future, so who knows what they might do next :D
Yeah, those crazy Germans.

I actually fell asleep watching the launch. Who knew that German car launch videos are a cure for insomnia.

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #312 on: 11 November 2016, 14:32 »
...will be announced in December, which if true, has you thinking why ...

... and maybe that releases AWD to be used across the Golf range, again like Audi?

I was thinking similar. They could easily map the current GTD engine for 200bhp and add 4 motion. With the extra torque and traction it would be serious competition to the GTI. Which is why I think they won't do it.

I think the FL GTI has indicated what the R will likely get. Maybe they didn't mention the GTD as there will be no change, so nothing to announce. "Remember the whole emission scandal with VW diesel engines... well, here is an even faster diesel GTD! Don't mention the war!"

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #313 on: 11 November 2016, 15:07 »
...will be announced in December, which if true, has you thinking why ...

... and maybe that releases AWD to be used across the Golf range, again like Audi?

I was thinking similar. They could easily map the current GTD engine for 200bhp and add 4 motion. With the extra torque and traction it would be serious competition to the GTI. Which is why I think they won't do it.

I think the FL GTI has indicated what the R will likely get. Maybe they didn't mention the GTD as there will be no change, so nothing to announce. "Remember the whole emission scandal with VW diesel engines... well, here is an even faster diesel GTD! Don't mention the war!"

They could quite easily get the GTD to 200ps, but could they do it without upping NOx beyond EU6 limits without having to implement an Adblue system that the 190ps unit in the Audi A4 has?

Probably not. 200ps and AWD would only put it in true contention with the GTI on 0-62 times from a traffic light dash, once rolling it would still be down on power and nearly 150kg heavier (120kg coming from the haldex). 245ps biturbo, AWD and then you've got a GTI killer - won't happen on a GTD badge.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #314 on: 11 November 2016, 15:58 »
200ps and AWD would only put it in true contention with the GTI on 0-62 times from a traffic light dash.
The new 190ps petrol engine in the A3 is available with quattro and has a faster 0-62 time than a GTI. That shows the difference the extra traction makes.

Offline Damion

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #315 on: 11 November 2016, 17:06 »
I'd stick money on the GTD getting an Ad Blue tank, that would add a few KG so I'd say BHP would stay the same, as they'd need to tweak a few bits.

2016 R!
2016 GTI PP Ordered and cancelled
2015 3DR GTD
2011 3DR GTD
2008 3DR 2.0TDI GT Sport

Offline GTD22

• Not said much yet
« Reply #316 on: 11 November 2016, 20:11 »
Anyone  notice colours dropping out from the builder, carbon grey no longer available and night blue limited to stock only?

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #317 on: 11 November 2016, 20:30 »
200ps and AWD would only put it in true contention with the GTI on 0-62 times from a traffic light dash.
The new 190ps petrol engine in the A3 is available with quattro and has a faster 0-62 time than a GTI. That shows the difference the extra traction makes.

Exactly my point - in a traffic light duel that extra traction will help a lot, but once rolling and above 20mph in 2nd gear, not so much - the in-gear acceleration comparison between GTD with AWD and a 2WD GTI won't be half as impressive as the 0-62 time. That A3 190ps will be lacking in-gear acceleration next to a GTI.

It's like comparing the CSS and R in a straight line drag race - the R is going to kill it from a static start, but do a rolling 40-80 dash in bone dry conditions and the CSS will almost certainly have a slight edge due to the lower weight.

When you see the A3s with and without quattro, the quattro knocks about 0.7s off the 0-62 time for the same car/engine combo with 2WD, but in gear acceleration won't be any better with AWD unless you're in a car with so much power that you could invoke wheelspin in 3rd at 60mph without it. An RS6 will benefit with AWD during in-gear acceleration, but a GTD?  Likewise, the GTI isn't so powerful that it would be slipping all over the place in the wet with hard in-gear acceleration on the straights because it doesn't have AWD.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #318 on: 11 November 2016, 20:46 »
Anyone  notice colours dropping out from the builder, carbon grey no longer available and night blue limited to stock only?

These colours have been discontinued - see discussion thread at link below;

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=278756.0
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #319 on: 11 November 2016, 21:20 »
http://www.autobild.de/artikel/vw-golf-vii-facelift-2016-vorschau-technik-und-preis-5519781.html

I can not get it to translate properly. As far as I can tell the performance models get different LED lights and air intake vents.

This bit is interesting, "And VW with the facelift of the current Golf announced for July 2016 must show how the brand in the future will develop. Can be seen externally little from the change."

And this bit, "...in order to keep Germany's top-selling car fit for the next three years ." So Mk8 in 2019?

Will this colour GTI/GTD be available in the UK?

... this render was not far off, back in June.