Author Topic: MK7 GTI Facelift  (Read 302278 times)

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
Re: MK7 GTI Facelift
« Reply #200 on: 20 October 2016, 10:29 »
The Golf facelift will be very similar to that - look at the new A3 FL - new lights, new bumpers, a few new colours, same wheels for most of the range. Really hard to tell the difference if your not into your cars...
... or if you own one. To be honest I couldn't tell you a new Leon from an old one.

I keep pointing out the new A3s to my wife. She thinks they look the same :rolleyes: ...and I guess she is right! 

Though I find most people seem to have a least heard of a Golf GTI. 'I drive a Golf GTD' , 'What's that?' , 'Diesel version of a Golf GTI.'

On another forum: They were talking about the fact that most people have no clue what a Golf R is. One guy told his 8 year old nephew, who then called it a Golf Arrrggggh! It is a car for pirates! :grin:

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline GTD1414

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #201 on: 20 October 2016, 11:12 »
The Golf facelift will be very similar to that - look at the new A3 FL - new lights, new bumpers, a few new colours, same wheels for most of the range. Really hard to tell the difference if your not into your cars...
... or if you own one. To be honest I couldn't tell you a new Leon from an old one.

I keep pointing out the new A3s to my wife. She thinks they look the same :rolleyes: ...and I guess she is right! 

Though I find most people seem to have a least heard of a Golf GTI. 'I drive a Golf GTD' , 'What's that?' , 'Diesel version of a Golf GTI.'

On another forum: They were talking about the fact that most people have no clue what a Golf R is. One guy told his 8 year old nephew, who then called it a Golf Arrrggggh! It is a car for pirates! :grin:

The new A3's are hard to tell apart - I keep seeing SE/Sports thinking they are Slines as they all now have LED DRL as standard, the non Sline/S3 just have the top LED line instead of the 3-sided one.

To Joe Public the Golf facelift will be the same as the current model. I bet most people still buying the mk6 cab think its no different to the mk7.  :rolleyes:

The Scirocco facelift a couple of years ago is another one difficult to spot the difference...

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #202 on: 20 October 2016, 21:43 »

The new A3's are hard to tell apart - I keep seeing SE/Sports thinking they are Slines as they all now have LED DRL as standard, the non Sline/S3 just have the top LED line instead of the 3-sided one.

To Joe Public the Golf facelift will be the same as the current model. I bet most people still buying the mk6 cab think its no different to the mk7.  :rolleyes:

The Scirocco facelift a couple of years ago is another one difficult to spot the difference...

I think they made the Scirocco uglier with that facelift, but as you say, unless you know the car very well you'd be hard pressed to know the difference. Personally, for example, I wouldn't know a current BMW 320d from a 3 year old one... no particular interest in the brand so they all "look the same" to me... which a lot of non-VAG heads would say about the Golf  :cool:

I'd also concur with a previous comment that the "GTI" has brand recognition that the GTD and R can only dream of. No one other than real petrol heads have a clue what my car (an R) is. I've been asked on more than one occasion - "What's it like on diesel?". Sometimes I just say "not bad"  :laugh:
« Last Edit: 20 October 2016, 21:45 by JoeGTI »
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #203 on: 22 October 2016, 14:39 »

I think they made the Scirocco uglier with that facelift, but as you say, unless you know the car very well you'd be hard pressed to know the difference. Personally, for example, I wouldn't know a current BMW 320d from a 3 year old one... no particular interest in the brand so they all "look the same" to me... which a lot of non-VAG heads would say about the Golf  :cool:

I'd also concur with a previous comment that the "GTI" has brand recognition that the GTD and R can only dream of. No one other than real petrol heads have a clue what my car (an R) is. I've been asked on more than one occasion - "What's it like on diesel?". Sometimes I just say "not bad"  :laugh:
If I had an r, amd someone asked that id say the same. Haha

Offline LRWmotorsport

• Here all the time
« Reply #204 on: 22 October 2016, 17:09 »
I get R's and regular Golf mixed up all the time.
2015 BRSCC PGTI Championship 2nd #55
2016 BRSCC PGTI Championship 2nd (again) #25 & BARC Intermarque
2017 BRSCC PGTI CHAMPIONS #24

Offline Damion

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #205 on: 22 October 2016, 19:44 »

Except at the traffic lights ..... 😀
2016 R!
2016 GTI PP Ordered and cancelled
2015 3DR GTD
2011 3DR GTD
2008 3DR 2.0TDI GT Sport

Offline GTD1414

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #206 on: 25 October 2016, 08:52 »
http://www.caradisiac.com/surprise-la-volkswagen-golf-r-restylee-de-sortie-110713.htm

Not sure where this is from (found it on VWROC) says its an R but looks like GTI calipers/brakes and honeycomb diffuser.

Guess we are all hoping the exhaust doesn't end up like that  :sick:

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #207 on: 25 October 2016, 09:41 »
No I think those tailpipes are what comes with the facelift. Go on, a small wager on that one ;-)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline LRWmotorsport

• Here all the time
« Reply #208 on: 25 October 2016, 09:53 »

Except at the traffic lights ..... 😀

All the same in the Transit.
Lost a drag race with a Nissan leaf last week
2015 BRSCC PGTI Championship 2nd #55
2016 BRSCC PGTI Championship 2nd (again) #25 & BARC Intermarque
2017 BRSCC PGTI CHAMPIONS #24

Offline breezasib

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #209 on: 25 October 2016, 10:45 »

Ewww those tail pipes are hideous!!