Author Topic: immortal - mk4 1.8t upgrades  (Read 63284 times)

Offline Immortal

• Here all the time
  • 1.8 Turbo GTI (AUM)
Re: immortal - mk4 1.8t upgrades
« Reply #50 on: 14 July 2013, 22:33 »
My rough running returned with a vengeance (popping & spluttering) about 2 weeks ago, so having exhausted all my ideas I decided to go back & go through everything again.

I apologise in advance for the lack of photos, this is due to the fact that after about 3 minutes my mood changed from a bit iritated to murderous!

I decided to start by checking my fuel filter (bear in mind that the car was serviced recently & I'd specifically asked them to change the fuel & oil filters), so I jacked her up & had a nosey; the filter looked like the original (covered in corrosion)! Luckily my local motorsave store opens on Sundays so I nipped round & grabbed a replacement thinking this would be a 10 minute job, how wrong I was!

I quickly whipped out the fuel pump fuse & depressurised the fuel system. Undid the engine side connection & the petrol the dribbled out was black. When I finished swearing & cursing, I proceeded to try to remove the tank side clip.... That was seized. After about 20 minutes it finally came off. Unfortunately it actually sheared off, leaving the end of the filter tube in the clip (cue more swearing). The fuel that came out of the filter was worse than black, it could only be described as sludge.

After (a lot) more swearing I gave up on trying to get the tube out of the clip & just clamped the hose directly on to the new filter (temporary fix till I can get to the stealers tomorrow), checked for leaks & went for a quick run. The difference was instantly apparent. Still not perfect, but with the amount of crap that was clearly getting through the filter it's not surprising. I think she's going to be running with redex in for the next couple of refills.

Offline Immortal

• Here all the time
  • 1.8 Turbo GTI (AUM)
« Reply #51 on: 16 July 2013, 16:11 »
As I was passing a stealers earlier, I called in to get a new coupling for the fuel filter. Surprise, surprise; you can't get it as a spare & have to buy the full pipe :rolleyes: So I'm gonna call in at a scrapers!

However I did order a mk6 cable tidy, a polo stubby aerial & the fog light repair wire.... :smiley:

Offline Immortal

• Here all the time
  • 1.8 Turbo GTI (AUM)
« Reply #52 on: 30 July 2013, 01:23 »
My bad luck is getting worse, my cat has collapsed internally  :cry:

Offline Immortal

• Here all the time
  • 1.8 Turbo GTI (AUM)
« Reply #53 on: 04 August 2013, 00:36 »
I'm sure this will seem familiar to many of you...

Many thanks to my "willing" assistant!

Offline Immortal

• Here all the time
  • 1.8 Turbo GTI (AUM)
« Reply #54 on: 04 August 2013, 23:48 »
I swear this car is sulking with me! No sooner do I sort one issue than another rears up  :cry:

It decided it didn't want to run properly this morning, so I get the code reader on it....

Comes up with Multiple cylinder misfire,  specifically a misfire on cylinder 3 & 4. So I figure lets swap the coils around & see if the fault changes. Low & behold it moves with the packs.

Aaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh!!!!

So now I've ordered a set of 2.0T coil packs from Awesome.

Maybe this is revenge for not doing much modding over the last 2 years!

Offline Immortal

• Here all the time
  • 1.8 Turbo GTI (AUM)
« Reply #55 on: 09 August 2013, 16:24 »
Fitted the 2.0T coils earlier. (I don't know why the pic is upside down!)

Also stuck the stubby aerial on.

Plan to do the N249 delete & got a TIP to get on this weekend

Offline Immortal

• Here all the time
  • 1.8 Turbo GTI (AUM)
« Reply #56 on: 10 August 2013, 17:27 »
N249 delete done.... Ish!

Removed the plate & started to disconnect all the original hoses. Then disaster struck: One of the connections on the N112 snapped in the old hose.  :angry:

This is the bit that came off:

A little bit of work with a dremal, a WD40 straw & some superglue lead to a temporary fix:

Whilst the glue set, I replaced the FPR & DV tubes:

So now i need a new N112, but its running fine in the interim.

Here's all the old tat that I removed:

I also altered & fitted my MK6 cable tidy (which really tidies up the bay IMO):

Offline xtetx

• I live here
  • started as a 1.6 now we here
« Reply #57 on: 10 August 2013, 20:04 »
i love how many people doing the cable tidy now  :grin: fresh

Offline Immortal

• Here all the time
  • 1.8 Turbo GTI (AUM)
« Reply #58 on: 10 August 2013, 21:04 »
i love how many people doing the cable tidy now  :grin: fresh

Can't blame everyone, It makes it look so much cleaner!

Offline Immortal

• Here all the time
  • 1.8 Turbo GTI (AUM)
« Reply #59 on: 11 August 2013, 19:39 »
Fitted the TIP this afternoon. A lot of people have said its a nightmare to change, but we got it done in about 40 minutes (including a coffee break!)  :cool:

Got the car up on the ramps & got everything disconnected:

Undid the bolt on the turbo & with a bit of wiggling out it popped. There's quite a bit of difference between the stock & silicone TIPs:

I pushed the new part in from the top whilst my mate guided it into place from underneath. Took a little persuasion to line up the turbo connection, but a bit more wiggling & a quick tighten of the jubilee clip & the difficult bit was done. So we stopped for a brew!

New jubilee clips were fitted on the DV, hockey puck, N75 & the breather hose:

Got the MAF back in & went for a test drive:

Initial impression is good, the throttle response seems better & the turbo seems to be spooling faster. I would definitely recommend this mod!