Author Topic: jonrandom - Jon's TD05 16G  (Read 34857 times)

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
jonrandom - Jon's TD05 16G
« on: 26 February 2012, 15:46 »
 :cool:

Offline jonrandom

• I live here
Re: jonrandom - Jon's TD05 16G
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2012, 16:32 »
Thank you topher  :cool:

Offline jonrandom

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2012, 16:35 »
I bought my mk4 back in 2009, Jazz blue 2000 Agu. Completely standard apart from it had been lowered on coilovers with 19" multi spokes and a forge 007p dumping to atmosphere!? Soon sorted that.

My plan was never to mod it as was happy with it as it was but soon got bored with the power and after joining the forums started planning what my next mods was going to be.

My first plan was to get a hybrid k03 and just stick with that but then thought im gonna do this once well allowed to do this once(missus) so I better properly, so started looking at big turbos.

I was a welder and fabricator working for my old man a few years back so I thought I could do most of the work myself and make exhaust manifold, downpipes and exhaust to save money. Never really done much engine wise but thought the best way to learn it to do it! and had this workshop at my disposal

So I decided on using a TD05 16G because you can pick them up cheap they spool quicky, give good power and dont break easily. Read qiute a few things on Ihi's going bang and defo didnt want that!!

So I made a list of things I needed and started buying them. Took my car off the road and my parents kindly let me use their garage.

The spec what ive bought so far

TD05 16G with forge actuator
Twin scroll exhaust manifold
3" downpipe and full exhaust with sports cat
RC 500cc injectors
Custom 3" TIP
Silicone vac and coolant hoses
Intergrated Engineering Forged rods with Pec big end bearings
water/meth injection Aquamist
whiteline anti lift and rear eibach anti roll bar
Fmic
Brembo lcr front brake setup with fedro pads, braided hoses and Ate superblue
256mm rear brake setup
Walbro intank 255 fuel pump
Hks Evc 6 electronic boost controller
THS FR3 engine mounts

So I started stripping the exhaust, downpipe and K03 off and found myself a turbo.

Td05 next to the K03

Got a new clutch and flywheel the VR6/G60 combo and fitted that. As well as silicone vac and coolant hoses.

Then ordered flanges and SS bends and straights to make the manifold.

This took a while to get right but finally did so I could top mount the turbo.

I then got a Forge actuator and made a mounting bracket and fitted that on the turbo so it would all fit in the bay.

My brakes and Ths engine mounts arrived and got fitted

Aquamist 1s came and I fitted it in the bumper bar and will be using the washer bottle for now.

More bits and pieces arrived so I got a new oil pump, water pump, cam/aux belt kit, piston rings, Pec big end bearings, gaskets and plenty of lubes and oils.

Then I started taking the head off ready to put the rods in.

So I cleaned the gasket off and started cleaning the pistons and fitted the rods.

I kept the standard forged pistons so I just cleaned them and put them back in with new rings after honing the cylinder.

Put the head back on with new gasket, timing belt, water pump. Removed AC and put the smaller belt on. Thought id spay the rocket cover and polish up the inlet manifold.

Fitted new fuel pump and modifed swirl pot (thanks Jamie16v for your guide and help).

Put the inlet manifold back on and trial fitted the catch can and started making up the TIP ready to weld the pipes on.

Thats as far as I have got so far hopefully this wkend I should finish making the TIP then ill start on the turbo downpipe.

Fingers crossed it will be ready for mapping in the new year.

Offline jonrandom

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 27 February 2012, 16:36 »
I had a busy wkend. I first made up the intake out of 3" SS and welded on pipes for the valves and the maf sensor.

Then I tacked together the exhaust elbow but cant finish all the downpipe until I get some flanges and more pipe.

Then I made up a the charge pipe to fit up to the intercooler pipe work.

Trial fitted it to make sure it will fit.

Next wkend will be making a flange for the intercooler pipe to turbo and welding up the elbow and making up downpipe.

Still undecided on where to put the catch can to make it look neat might mount it at the front by the radiator.

Offline jonrandom

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 27 February 2012, 16:39 »
I have nearly finished the charge pipe today have made a flange and welded it on to fit the turbo. Have sprayed it with galv spray will spray it the same as the rocker cover next time.

Trial fitted the dv and vac tubes

Think I will like wolverine said not put the puck back on and vent the catch can to atmos. Will this cause any problems?

I had a old toyo sports induction kit so im going to eventually box off the cone filter to stop heat soak and use that old pipe to make a cold air feed from the bumper.

Offline jonrandom

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 27 February 2012, 16:44 »
The flanges for the exhaust still havent arrived :angry: so still cant finish the downpipe and start on the exhaust. Fingers crossed they will come tomorrow.

Made up a bracket for the catch can and mounted it to the inlet. Got a filter to vent one side of the can to atmos.

Started fitting the electronic boost controller pulled the wires through to fit the head unit will mount it hear I think in the vent. 

Had an idea to stop heat soak for the cone filter so I bought a aluminum champagne bucket and cut a hole it it to sheild the cone filter and set up the cold air feed to go right to it. Can insulate the bucket as well to make sure it stays cold.

Offline jonrandom

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 27 February 2012, 16:45 »
A few updates.

Well I did nothing at all over christmas time apart from eat and drink to much! Now its all over its time to get back to work.

The flanges I ordered from ebay never arrived so I got my money back and order some more and they came today so started finishing the elbow and tacking together the downpipe. I also started cutting up and re-welding the 3" subaru exhaust so it will fit.

Will sort out the backbox and getting over the rear axle once ive finished the down pipe and got some spacers so I can get my wheels to fit over the brembos and finally drop the front end.

Tacked together the downpipe and checked to make sure it fits, its tight but should be ok if I heat wrap it.

From underneath

Next will weld the flanges so I can join the downpipe to the flexi and rest of the exhaust.

I also fitted the HKS boost controller in the bay. Will cap off there the N75 was on the TIP as it will be all running through the HKS system. Should have really looked at it before as I didnt have to weld on pipes for the puck and now the N75, nevermind.

Then started on the wiring for the meth injection and the boost controller its ready to be soldered.

Offline jonrandom

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 27 February 2012, 16:48 »

Yay thats the boost controller all pumbed and wired in, so glad thats is sorted!  :smiley:

Started making my exhaust today was hoping to finish it but it was just one of those days when everything seemed to go wrong but I still did some bits.

Picture of the garage 

Welding up the downpipe and exhaust

Had loads of trouble trying to get the downpipe to fit properly but finally managed it.

So took it all out to weld it all up and I ran out of gas!! :angry:

This is what is going to look like.

Downpipe

Will get some more gas and finish welding it tomorrow. Will wait to do over the axle until ive droped the front end and will have more space under there. Ive still got to fit the RABR and 256mm brakes so will do it all at the same time.

Finished welding up the elbow and most of the rest of the exhaust. Need a bit of a clean up as it doesnt look to neat but its thick welds to make sure theres no cracking.

Welded a bigger bit of pipe on to the 15mm outlet so it fits perfect for the 19mm hose.

Offline jonrandom

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 27 February 2012, 16:51 »
Started cleaning up the 256mm rears ready for painting

to

carriers sparyed with galv ready for painting

I bought a oval tailpipe as I cant hack having the massive subaru tailpipe. Will cut it off and weld the oval on once I start on the back box.

Ordered 20mm spacers yesterday so that should be enough to get the wheels on over the brembos so hopefully after a year of being on axle stands this wkend it will be back on its wheels!!

Wheel spacers came today so can finally get the wheels on and see how the brakes will look under them.

With the spacers on they may stick out to far to get in under the arch wont know until I take it off the stands its close tho, I hope they do dont want to have to get new wheels!

Ordered some G12 and exhaust wrap today so will wrap the downpipe and charge pipe when it arrives. Going to get something to go around the turbo aswell to try and keep engine bay temps down. The turbo lines from Hel should be arriving either on fri or early next wk so now have oil and coolant ready to start it when they come.

Now everything is pretty much all wired and plumbed in so this will be my engine bay. It still needs a bit of a clean but will do that once I get it out of the garage as the whole car needs a clean!

Next prob is the wheels sticking out past the arch heres a picture of them. Its still on stands so hopefully once its down it will pull them in a bit. Fingers crossed as I like the wheels.

Right ive been waiting for the last few wks for the turbo oil and coolant lines to turn up so ive just been busying myself spaying things making the bay look a bit better.

Sprayed the throttle body and a few other bits

Next I bought some refletive insulation sheet and got my missus to sow it to fit round the bucket.

I borrowed some insulation from work  :wink: to stuff it with to add extra protection then put it in the bay to make sure it will all fit.

Ordered some super high strength bolts and nord lock washers just to make sure the turbo doesnt go walkies.

The turbo oil and coolant lines turned up today

Offline jonrandom

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 27 February 2012, 16:56 »
Should get the manifold back tonight so hopefully put it all back together tomorrow so in the mean time I got rid of the charcoal canister and wired in a resistor and hidden it, then feed a pipe for the gases to vent through the arch, will attach it to down near the front bumper. Also heat wrapped the downpipe.

Downpipe

Well finally after 3 wks a million excuses and 2 engineering companies I finally got my freshly skimmed manifold back today! What a mission!!

Didnt have time to fit it all today before the missus dragged me off but matched it all up with the turbo to make sure its all good.

Gave it a quick fit in the bay all good it doesnt need a spacer thankfully! Will get it all fitted tomorrow and fingers crossed I can start her up!  :smiley: