Author Topic: jake - NOS power!  (Read 48096 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
jake - NOS power!
« on: 07 May 2009, 11:06 »
:)
« Last Edit: 06 May 2010, 10:08 by jv »
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline jake

• I live here
Re: jwelsh12 - NOS power!
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2009, 13:14 »
Well i have now owned my golf for a full year now so i thought that coming up to the anniversary of owning it i should add a project thread to the site.

I picked up my golf on the 15th May 2008 for £3600, this was with 72,000 miles on the clock. When i bought the car i couldn't believe i now owned a golf gti, especially a 1.8T. Yet when driving the car home things were beginning to unfold a bad problem. The acceleration was jerky, the car didn't accelerate well and the overall drive was poor.

I couldn't believe it. especially when i has looked over the car with a fine tooth comb, and also test drove it. So i got the car home and i was really pissed off, i rung the guy immediately, his words were " you bought it", my words were, "you f**kin twit".

So anyway i got straight down to a garage and asked what they thought, they immediately said turbo was going :angry: :angry: :angry:.

At this point i wanted to set the thing on fire, yet this is when i joined this forum, i put out a thread asking for advice, and i finally got replies stating MAF sensor, so i got a new one, put it on........................ :smiley: :smiley:, BINGO. Thank f**k for that.

So i began a spending spree on new parts, yet i never realized how far this project would come.

The first things i bought were as follows:

-Forge carbon engine cover
-Carbonio Cai induction kit
-Forge 007p valve
-Weitec 50mm Lowering springs
-RS8 wheels (18")
-Forge 5 piece hosing Kit.

At this point my engine bay and car was beginning to look a little bit better.

Offline jake

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2009, 13:15 »
Yet i now wanted the overall look of the car to change, so i went out with a good bit of money and decided to make the car into an r32
replica, so i bought the kit and got it sprayed. And WOW did it make a difference to the car!

As everyone knows there are always things that you have to end up replacing that you really don't want to do so things such
as
-waterpump
-cam belt

were all replaced after the kit was put on.

Now that the car was looking a bit more dandy, i wanted a little bit more power, so i booked my car in at a tuning garage near to me for a stage 1 remap, i was really excited about this because i couldn't wait to see the difference that it made, and boy oh boy did it make a difference, the car was now pushing 197bhp. Which was nice figure.

So now that the car was getting to a stage that i wanted we went out on a little photo shoot.

Not the best photos in the world but we wanted to get a nice shot of the cars whilst they were clean.

After the remap i was always concerned about the clutch, and whether or not it would be able to cope with the extra BHP that the car was now pushing. And unfortunately it decided to pop its clogs. SO i decided there was no point in me just replacing the clutch with a standard part, i looked into the VR6 clutch and the g60 flywheel, yet i wanted to go for something a little bit different.
So i decided to buy the ECS STAGE 1 upgrade from awesome gti. this was also with a lightened flywheel. Very expensive for fitting and the the part, but very worth it. The clutch now feels very very responsive.

I was now at a point where the car was pretty quick and looked pretty nice, yet there were certain aspects that i wasnt pleased with. One of these aspects was the interior.

So i decided to pick up a Newsouth Performance boost guage, not cheap but look great how they match the dash, i also picked up some aluminium R32 interior .

I also decided to pick up an arm rest, which i love the comfort of, makes the car feel like a real cruiser again.

The next thing that i wanted to purchase was a splitter, i have seen these a few times and i think that they look awesome especially on a R32 front bumper, so i went down to Seat and picked myself up a Cupra R front splitter, i fitted it and i think it looks really nice, looks like the front end is a lot lower.

For a few weeks i hit a bit of a patch where i was unsure what to do next, yet i went for a bold decision. I had seen this done a few times and i thought it looked amazing on certain coloured cars, silver being one of them. I decided to go for a black roof, some people
may like this mod, some people might not. I think black roofs on golfs look great because the top of the front windscreen is tinted black, so because the roof is black aswell it looks like a glass roof. And is also different which is what i always try and achieve.

Yet although the roof looked stunning, something was missing, i now needed to add something else..... the mirrors. They needed to be black to make this thing work So i began spraying the mirrors in gloss black to get them matching the roof!

This definetely finished it off, but what i also did was i made sure i got a black inside rear view mirror, as they come creamy white as standard, yet now mines black you are unable to see it through the front window!!

The next few mods that i did were only small
-Bora sport gear knob
-Bora vent conversion
-Rear and front Bushes

After another few weeks i wanted to go for something a little bit different, now i know with this mod some people hate them. infact most people do, yet i love them, especially how well it matches the theme of the car!! And this mod ladies and gentleman is the BONNET BRA. now some people think they look  :sick:, i think they look  :cool:, so its al down to personal opinion. Yet with my car having black elements it looks smooth i think, especially when the car comes up in your rear view mirror and it looks evil and like its going to eat you. And aswell as that i love how much attention it gets off normal pedestrians, most of them muttering ' what the pissing hell is that"  :grin: :grin:

so here is another photo shoot.

Now at this stage where am i really pleased with the car, as i say, you might not like the look or you might love it, thats car modifying for you, all personal opinion.

I now wanted to begin to seriously work on the engine, i was very close to either picking up a KO4 turbo and doing a turbo change, or perhaps even going down the hybrid route on a K03s, or even possibly a GT28 conversion. Yet i thought how many times has this been done, and how many times do we hear of people doing turbo upgrades, and i felt like i needed to do something different. Something a bit risky, and a little bit expensive.

Sooooooooooooo.........i decided to go for nitrous. Now some of you may have seen my threads and seen how much it was and how things worked, but it cost me just short of £2,000. Now if you want you can pick up a NOS kit for around £500, but you can say good bye to your internals, as the control unit i bought itself is worth more than that alone, and that simply controls how much nitrous is released into the engine.

So here are a few pics.
Dropping the car off at WIZARDS OF NOS

INSTALL

THIS SWITCH IS REALLY NICE ITS JUST I TOOK OUT THE INTERIOR TRIM THE DAY BEFORE, SO I MIGHT LOOK A BIT TACKY HERE

And what can i say guys, to experience going from 197bhp- to 290bhp. is one of the most insane feelings in the world. The power is very very extreme. And is by the far the best modification that i have done so far, i even got a blue flame with the nitrous on on the way home last week :cool: :cool:.

Well guys this is quite a quick brief summary of what i have done so far, yet alot is still to come, such as air ride, forged pistons, so i will keep you all updated, pleased PM me with ideas and thoughts of the car, that would be greatly appreciated. So heres a final photo of how she stands. Thanks again

Offline jake

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2009, 00:12 »
Just a bit of an update

Getting a NOS bottle refill tomorrow as i have now run out  :sad: :grin:

Bought rear coil overs today, so hopefully picking them up from Venom Motorsport on Saturday morning. Aswell as that i have just bought

wind deflectors for the front windows. Now some people might think  :huh: :huh: WIND DEFLECTORS, but i have been to a few dub shows

this year, and i have seen them on a couple, and they look sexy as. So ill put pix up probs next week! :smiley:

Offline jake

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2009, 22:22 »
Ok bit of an update

I spent 4 days doing my wheels a bit of a different colour this week. i think the car looks stunning with them, i think it really brings the car together!! I think its been missing this mod since i did the roof! i think they look very  :cool: IMO

Offline jake

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2009, 00:11 »
nice build thread jake lol! cant beat A59 the other day  :wink: haha see u soon mate

Offline jake

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2009, 00:19 »
haha just noticed its on ur login from when u were at mine hahahaha, dave.

Offline jake

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 02 June 2009, 10:36 »
I dont know who went down on sunday but wow was it good.

It was the VAG2009 show in Lancaster, and me and 20 others were on a stand for UK-MKIVS.

The car was polished, waxed, bard, for 15 hours on the saturday. So i thought i would post a few pix from the weekend. Some were
not taken from me, but they came out well!

Offline jake

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 23 July 2009, 12:47 »
Ok bit of an update as i have not written much on my build thread for a month now!

Although i have not written much alot has been done to the car since, I have now bought a Nitrous bottle warmer kit for £240 from wizards of Nos which means the pressure in the bottle will always remain the same, i.e. when you use nitrous the pressure drops, this will stop this from happening!

The system works like a thermostat in a house, when the pressure reaches where it needs to be it flicks off, when it drops it flicks on.! The kit looks like a tyre warmer with a digital gauge and an armour switch in the front! I will try and get some pix up next week!

Another thing i have done is got some rear coilovers, so the car is now on a 80mm drop on the back, i love the look of it, sits like a dog :grin: :grin:

Another thing i have done is increased the Nitrous Jet size so the car is now running 300bhp  :laugh: :laugh:

I also had a safety devices cage made for the car, looks mint in my opinion, the cage has a detachable 'X' so i can still have passengers, the cage is in black so it matches the theme of the car!

At the moment i am now removing all the dash as it is going to get flocked which should look ace, aswell as that im creating my own centre console out of carbon!should be done by the end of this month! i'll keep you all informed!
 :smiley: :smiley:

« Last Edit: 01 December 2009, 15:07 by jwelsh12 »

Offline barry-gti

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 23 July 2009, 18:19 »
Looks good mate... :smiley: