Author Topic: de-cat off ebay....any good?  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Davroos88

• Not said much yet
  • David Harrison
de-cat off ebay....any good?
« on: 21 August 2013, 21:24 »
Hi,

Iam after a de-cat for my golf ive seen some on ebay full stainless come in all sizes depending on the bore of your exhaust including gaskets, bolts etc only £89, has anybody bought one of these? are they worth investing in? Is there any pro`s or cons to a de-cat obviously removing it once a year for the m.o.t but how do you go about with the engine management light being on regarding the sensors? can this be turned off or reset?

Thanks Davros

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
Re: de-cat off ebay....any good?
« Reply #1 on: 21 August 2013, 21:39 »
The gasket is crap so get a gen one. The 3" versions will need you to cut off the 2.25" end and use a 2.5" sleeve to extend it to fit an aftermarket stainless exhaust unless you are fitting it to a standard exhaust system. The 2.5" decat fits straight on to an aftermarket stainless.

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline Davroos88

• Not said much yet
  • David Harrison
« Reply #2 on: 21 August 2013, 21:45 »
Could i buy same gaskets as the standard ones which are on now, ive got a miltek cat back system on but not too sure what bore it is...think it will be 2.5" if this is right what size de-cat should i get? have you got one of these de-cats fitted to your car now? what does it sound like? in what way does it make a difference? whats you verdict on the de-cat personally?

Thanks for your reply!

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #3 on: 21 August 2013, 21:54 »
I like the decat, frees up the revs nicely. I would personally go for the 3" version if you already have the stainless. They make the note a little deeper but not too OTT

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline Davroos88

• Not said much yet
  • David Harrison
« Reply #4 on: 21 August 2013, 22:09 »
if i get a 3" downpipe what size does it need to be to connect to my exhaust if my exhaust is 2.5"? does the pipe need to be the same size as my exhaust or smaller than the bore of the exhaust? if that makes any sense ;)

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #5 on: 21 August 2013, 23:24 »
if i get a 3" downpipe what size does it need to be to connect to my exhaust if my exhaust is 2.5"? does the pipe need to be the same size as my exhaust or smaller than the bore of the exhaust? if that makes any sense ;)

Most eBay 3" downpipes reduce to 2.5" anyway, if the one you get doesn't then you'll need a 3" - 2.5" reducing sleeve. Any custom exhaust place will be able to knock one up in a few mins.

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #6 on: 21 August 2013, 23:31 »
The 3" will reduce to 2.25". You need to cut that off then get a piece made to bridge the gap

Offline Davroos88

• Not said much yet
  • David Harrison
« Reply #7 on: 22 August 2013, 21:43 »
So will the decat will not fit straight on? i was thinking about getting the 3" downpipe with a 2.25" at the end of the decat which will fit to my miltek exhaust which is 2.5" will this be a straight on bolt on fit or is it a ballache of a job?

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #8 on: 22 August 2013, 22:40 »
So will the decat will not fit straight on? i was thinking about getting the 3" downpipe with a 2.25" at the end of the decat which will fit to my miltek exhaust which is 2.5" will this be a straight on bolt on fit or is it a ballache of a job?

The milltek is 2.5" but has a reducing sleeve at the end to reduce it to 2.25" so it will join the factory cat. If the decat reduces to 2.5" then it will fit straight on.