Author Topic: new to the forum (hello!) plus lingering issue with my 1.8T  (Read 1970 times)

Offline davegolfturbo

• GTI forum regular
Re: new to the forum (hello!) plus lingering issue with my 1.8T
« Reply #10 on: 01 December 2009, 00:33 »
i think it could be rear wheel bearing as i get a noise which relates to the rotation of the wheel.... i put it in neutral whilst driving so i could hear a little bit better to stop the engine/exhaust noise. maybe this could help?

hope u get it sorted soon matey

dave.

Offline TJJONESVDUB

• Here all the time
  • Give me lip and il tattoo daihatsu to your head!
« Reply #11 on: 01 December 2009, 01:48 »
from what you are saying i think you are suffering from what i had which took my 3months to diag, at low revs i could hear a wierd spinning sound maybe once or twice a day mainly when pulling off slowly or as i started to reverse from the passenger footwell area, nobody could tell me what is was..only when i run a test with vagcom for the 100th or so time and Camshaft position sensor popped up i cleared it and it come back so i replaced it..and i never had the noise again, now im 100% it was the Camshaft position sensor as when i parked the car 30secs before fitting the Camshaft position sensor replacement it was making the noise and the next time i drove it didnt and never has gain that was 2months ago. its a really wierd noise sounds like its at your feet. i bought mine off ebay 17quid genuine audi part

Offline GeorgeJoshington

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 01 December 2009, 09:14 »
Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated. Unfortunately there's no way I can really record the noise - it doesn't happen when the car's jacked up and i just spin the wheel, only when driving.

As for the camshaft sensor suggestion, It sounds fairly similar but I'm 99% sure the sound is coming from one or both of the rear wheels as opposed to the passenger footwell as was mentioned...

The rear pads have been changed fairly recently but the noise was happening before that. After all of the suggestions I'm guessing it's either the bearing or perhaps a warped/cracked disc which is catching on something as the wheel turns. I'm inclined to think it's disc related - am I right in thinking that you can usually spot a dodgy bearing just by jacking up the car and spinning the wheel/giving it a wiggle? Plus the discs do have a bit of corrosion on them...

I'll take it back to the garage at the weekend and get them to have a good look.

Offline Ben_1uk

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 01 December 2009, 13:21 »
am I right in thinking that you can usually spot a dodgy bearing just by jacking up the car and spinning the wheel/giving it a wiggle

Yes mate. If you have a bearing on the way out there will be some play in the wheel when you spin/wiggle it.