Author Topic: F1 Thread  (Read 287562 times)

Offline xkaty_h

• GTI forum regular
Re: F1 Thread
« Reply #1840 on: 18 November 2010, 14:08 »
Alonso had a great second half of the season despite the winging and cheating

Errrr.....  :huh:

I'm guessing he's referring to the team orders.

Yeah, he is.

However every team uses team order, they just hide it where as Ferrari at least are honest about it.

/ooor Ferrari got caught...

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #1841 on: 18 November 2010, 14:19 »
Because it was as obvious as daylight.

Do you not think teams use code words or have chats with drivers before the race?

And I'm pretty sure contracts have been extended and renewed thanks to obeying team orders.

Offline jeremybarker

• Here all the time
« Reply #1842 on: 18 November 2010, 14:23 »
And some not, isn't Massa being replaced?  :laugh:

Making up for lost time

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #1843 on: 18 November 2010, 14:32 »
But Massa is a different case. He's just a tool.

However Ferrari won't get a strong driver. They have never had two great drivers in the seam team, unlike McLaren usually had and Williams back in the day.

Ferrari have Alonso with them, he's their perfect driver as he is strong all over, experience, previous champion, great feedback on the car and works alongside them to develop it.
Massa's role is as bait for the other drivers, however he is SO rubbish he will probably be replaced for next year. Ferrari want Alonso to have a rear gunner. Even though Barrichello played 2nd fiddle, at least he came in second behind Schumacher, where as Massa will always be around midfield rather than on the podium.
Hulkenberg is an option but a dangerous one because a few times this year he's showed speed, Ferrari don't want to risk giving him a good car and ending up like Webber/Vettel, however I think it'll be a few years before Hulkenberg is a strong driver.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #1844 on: 18 November 2010, 15:06 »
Hulkenberg is an option but a dangerous one because a few times this year he's showed speed, Ferrari don't want to risk giving him a good car and ending up like Hamilton / Alsonso, however I think it'll be a few years before Hulkenberg is a strong driver.

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline The Mighty Elvi

• I live here
  • I'm better than you today.
« Reply #1845 on: 18 November 2010, 15:39 »
But Massa is a different case. He's just a tool.

However Ferrari won't get a strong driver. They have never had two great drivers in the seam team, unlike McLaren usually had and Williams back in the day.

Ferrari have Alonso with them, he's their perfect driver as he is strong all over, experience, previous champion, great feedback on the car and works alongside them to develop it.
Massa's role is as bait for the other drivers, however he is SO rubbish he will probably be replaced for next year. Ferrari want Alonso to have a rear gunner. Even though Barrichello played 2nd fiddle, at least he came in second behind Schumacher, where as Massa will always be around midfield rather than on the podium.

Massa a tool?  Really, dont think so.

2008, he finished second in the Championship to Hamilton by 1 point. That year Massa won 6 races and had 6 poles with 10 podiums and 97 points. If Hamilton had tied with him on points, Mass would be the champion becuase of more race wins.

Hamilton won the Championship with 5 Wins 7 poles and 10 podiums and 98 points.

If you compare his record of 11 wins so far - he's only 29 - with other drivers, I'm sure you'll find he is in fact a very good driver.

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
  • Formerly Darnpistonbroke
« Reply #1846 on: 18 November 2010, 18:49 »
Ferrari will want two good drivers to maximise their chance of gaining one, if not both championships. I think Andre, that your hyposthosis that they don't want a team mate to challenge Alonso is a little short sighted. Yes Alonso is a good driver if not the best, but he needs someone to be able to challenge him and push him. And he has got to accept that without whinging like a little girl. To gain respect in this sport, like any other sport, you have to earn it both on and off the track. So far he has only earned it with his ability, not his personality. Unfortunately for him, ability and personality go hand in hand.
As for Massa, I do not like him at all, but at least he keeps his head down and gets on with the job. As for his ability, well his track record prior to this year speaks for itself.

Team orders do and should exist as long as it does not affect the outcome of the race. What Alonso and Massa did was a blatent disregard of the rules as Massa was out in front and deservedly so, but was made to pull over so that Alonso could gain a points advantage. That affected the outcome of the race and could have had an impact on the championship. If Alonso would have won last weekend, and became champion with just a few points advantage, how many people would count him as the true champion of the 2010 season after a stunt like that? Not me. The same for any driver who won a championship like that, not just Alonso.

THE FORUMS NUMBER ONE ANTI-FOOTBALL FAN!!!

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #1847 on: 18 November 2010, 18:51 »
Even the brazilians think he's a tool. I'm talking about after his accident, ever since he's been a midfield runner, with the exception of a few races.

Offline The Mighty Elvi

• I live here
  • I'm better than you today.
« Reply #1848 on: 18 November 2010, 19:15 »
Even the brazilians think he's a tool. I'm talking about after his accident, ever since he's been a midfield runner, with the exception of a few races.

Thats a bit unfair.  In 2009 up until the accident he had more points at that point  - in Germany -  than Kimi.

This year is his first back since the accident and he still finished 6th in the championship.

In 8 races this year he finished 5th or higher. - 5 podiums.

In 6 races he finished between 6th and 10th.

in 4 races he finished between 11th and 15th

He retired only once.

Offline Phil1980

• I live here
« Reply #1849 on: 18 November 2010, 20:02 »
Massa has been fairly hard done by, I wouldn't be that motivated to do well if my employers had made it totally clear that I was the number two driver and asked me to pull over.  I wish he had never pulled over for Alonso that day.
MK5 2005 GTI, BLACK, 3 DR, 18" MONZA II, XENONS