Author Topic: What have you done to your mk8 today?  (Read 119414 times)

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your mk8 today?
« Reply #650 on: 01 May 2023, 09:47 »
971 miles in. Pretty sure I’ve just irreparably damaged my front drivers side tyre based on the visible bulge!

Wasn’t even hooning it… just going along at 30mph in the dark, got distracted by the automatic lane control trying to steer me for no reason and didn’t see the stealth crater that must have been there.

Hopefully no damage to the rear or either wheel but too dark to see properly. Did same to my mk 1 many years  ago and the front alloy shattered and the rear had a massive bend it in but the wheels were soft enough could be hammered back enough to use.

Once you sort the tyre out, you might want to get someone with OBD11 or VCDS to turn off the Kamikaze mode (lane assist) - I think it's more likely to cause an accident than prevent one - sees the lane markings, ignores anything in between that you're looking to avoid (cones for lane narrowing, parked cars etc).

My wife is in NI at the moment and has hired a Skoda Karoq (she thought it was Japanese😂😂) and called me to say it kept pulling to the left. I told her to call the hire company - I didn’t realise it had lane assist - luckily her brother had hired the same and managed to explain to her 😂
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Kenis

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #651 on: 01 May 2023, 13:30 »
So… can anyone tell me which of the three types of potenza s005 I should be buying to replace my tyre? There is a bmw oe one which I assume it isn’t, but then there is an audi oe one and a non manufacture linked one. I assume it’s the last one?

Also on checking all the writing on the tyres I found this tear on the passenger side - does that one need replacing as well?

(Added a pic of the bulge for good measure)

Ordered Apr-21 Arrived Mar-23: MK8 GTI Clubsport, Dolphin, Estorils plus other options

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #652 on: 01 May 2023, 13:39 »
If you're going to replace 2, get them on the same axle and buy the Bridgestones that say "Michelin" or "Goodyear" down the sidewall.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Kenis

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #653 on: 01 May 2023, 13:43 »
If you're going to replace 2, get them on the same axle and buy the Bridgestones that say "Michelin" or "Goodyear" down the sidewall.

Yes I may be talking myself into that…. Feels wrong to have Goodyear or Michelin at the front and Bridgestone at the back…
Ordered Apr-21 Arrived Mar-23: MK8 GTI Clubsport, Dolphin, Estorils plus other options

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #654 on: 01 May 2023, 22:27 »

Yes I may be talking myself into that…. Feels wrong to have Goodyear or Michelin at the front and Bridgestone at the back…

Might feel wrong but it's exactly what I'll be doing.  My front Potenzas have lasted 21k miles and will be replaced by one of those brands depending on best value for money.  If they are the same price I'll be putting Michelins on the front.
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #655 on: 02 May 2023, 06:50 »
The cut on the other wouldn’t warrant a tyre swap - but if you like to keep evenly worn pairs. Also agree with Goodyears!

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #656 on: 02 May 2023, 09:02 »
I'm just checking the deal that Michelin are offering to the end of May which headlines as "Up to £100 off".   It looks like you only get a £100 pay back if you buy 4 19" tyres.   I have 18" and only need 2 tyres, so I'd only get £20 back. 

Is that right? Has anyone else claimed back on this deal?  Might go for the Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSports if that is right.
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #657 on: 02 May 2023, 10:49 »
I'm just checking the deal that Michelin are offering to the end of May which headlines as "Up to £100 off".   It looks like you only get a £100 pay back if you buy 4 19" tyres.   I have 18" and only need 2 tyres, so I'd only get £20 back. 

Is that right? Has anyone else claimed back on this deal?  Might go for the Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSports if that is right.

Buy pilot sport 4s all round for it well worth it best tyres you can fit on GTI imo transformed my 7.5 Performance
Would buy them again without hesitation for my mk8 when time to change
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #658 on: 02 May 2023, 11:01 »
Can you confirm that you mean the PS4 and not PS4S Davo? 

I don't think the PS4S are available in 18".
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #659 on: 02 May 2023, 11:02 »
Can you confirm that you mean the PS4 and not PS4S Davo? 

I don't think the PS4S are available in 18".

I thought they were now the Yaris GR was using them...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC