Author Topic: Mk1 Campaign- is it a good buy?????  (Read 1938 times)

Offline mikereynolds

• GTI forum regular
Mk1 Campaign- is it a good buy?????
« on: 16 November 2004, 22:50 »
hey,
i have come across an original Mk1 Lhasa green 1800 gti campaign,

It has the usual, leather door cards, green window tints, sunroof, twin lights etc.

The body work is good, no rust apart from a small 3x1 inch hole in the spare wheel recess. No car park dents or dings apart from two in the rear n/s quarter the size of a 5 pence piece.

The paint work is not mint but is good for the age, slightly different shades where the laquer has thinned.

It has koni shocks, multi spoke (euro-ish) 2" dish alloys and a performance exhaust (subtle not boy racer)

It has been regularly maintained and serviced, has just passed its mot.

The interior is original and  pretty much mint with no rips or tears or bolster wear...

On a test drive the (101K) engine pulled well, no visible leaks, or noises on start up, very little tappit noise...a noisier than usual fuel pump was heard, but is brand new and documented.

The price was ?1800 but managed to sweet talk him down to ?1475......Do we think this is a good offer????
With some TLC it will look nice...
What sort of price would you pay??

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
Re: Mk1 Campaign- is it a good buy?????
« Reply #1 on: 16 November 2004, 23:23 »
Sorry but dont know much about the campaign model but did they do it in lhasa green ? Not sure.  :-\ If it is a campaign then I'd buy it for ?1475 deffo as just normal mk1s go for more than that now. If you can, get the chasis number as I think they should all be EW, here is a website to look at and do some homework by looking in the guides section - www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk it's the old campaign register site. I say if the car seems fine then go for it, good luck.  :)
......now officially dubless.

Offline mikereynolds

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 16 November 2004, 23:27 »
Thanks for that, have checked and is an original campaign, Lhasa green is one of the few they made apparently...thanks for your help.

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 16 November 2004, 23:32 »
No worries. I just looked on the site I gave you above and they did indeed do them in Lhasa green, some also had DW chassis codes according to that site, sounds like a fookin bargain you've found there.? :)
« Last Edit: 16 November 2004, 23:34 by gibby »

Offline keefusg60

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 16 November 2004, 23:32 »
The Campaign did come in lhasa green, and should be registered from August 1983 (A-reg). If the chassis number begins with EW then it is a Campaign. Should also have the twin-headlights, facory-fitted sunroof, green-tinted windows and leather steering wheel.
Sounds like a goodun to me with a bit of TLC. Personally, I'd bring it back to looking standard, with the standard exhaust and the 14 inch Pirelli P-slot alloys.
If it has lots of history to back up the mileage then even better. My mk1 has done 175k, but still feels great and pulls like a train!

Offline mikereynolds

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 16 November 2004, 23:35 »
hmm the only draw back is the previous owner (1 of 3) misplaced most of the history so nothing to back it up...but seems genuine from a close inspection.

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 16 November 2004, 23:41 »
Look at the guide on the site above, some good advice in there, here's the link if you are feeling lazy  ;) http://portal.campaignregister.co.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=1&page=1

Extract fom page 7 -

How much to Pay?

Obviously this is a 'how long is a piece of string' question, but my recommendation is to have a minimum budget of ?2000. Cars under this price will be cheap for a reason, though you might uncover an owner who doesn't know what they have if you're lucky. ?4000 buys you a very nice standard car in good condition, with ?6000 upwards for concours candidates. Most of these later cars will usually have service history and other documents to go along with them.  :)

Offline piggy

• Here all the time
  • What you lookin' at sonny?
« Reply #7 on: 17 November 2004, 11:14 »
Sounds reasonable. :)
Wanted one of those when I first started looking for a Gti but couldn't find a good cheap one :'(
If it's mot'd and only needs a bit of work sounds good to me.
The Campaign Register has a good buyers guide which I used when looking tough at the time I was looking to spend less than that ::)

Offline Golfgal

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 17 November 2004, 12:12 »
I paid ?250 for mine but the roof was buggered was going to get a garage to do it but a little angle somewhere told me how easy it is to get the roof off so watch this space. Also the A pillar isn't as bad as origonally thought. She's going to be brought back to her orig spec once I have finished with her.

I miss driving her  :'(

For that money I'd buy her. Quick before rich gets a sniff of it!!  :D
V5 Beetle owner. I'm just here for the misfire threads....

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 17 November 2004, 12:54 »
Sounds a good price to me Mike. I doubt you are going to lose a great deal on a car like that. If you returned it to something approaching original condition you would probably be looking at more like 3k.

My favourite colour mk1 as well - buy it!

You going to sell the mk2?
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity