Author Topic: An electrical question  (Read 1308 times)

Offline navmk4gti

• Forum addict
An electrical question
« on: 25 June 2023, 22:40 »
So today was connecting something in the car. I tried connecting via a fuse tap and using empty fuse socket from the fuse box. Checked volt meter was reading 12v. Great. But it would not power the box.

When connecting it off the cig lighter wiring .. which also gives 12v..it works fine.

Absolutely baffled as to why this is. First time was trying to tap off the fuse box. Watched many youtube vids looks like what i did was right and volt meter was confirming it.

Any ideas what it can be?
theonestopLEDshop - upgrade LED lighting, car badges, wheel caps etc

Facebook/Instagram: @theonestopledshop

Drop me a message for more info and discounts!

Offline joe6

• I live here
Re: An electrical question
« Reply #1 on: 26 June 2023, 14:29 »
Did you check the power on the lead from the connector after fitting? I think that piggy back connectors (if that is what you used) need to be fitted with the correct orientation if fitted into a spare fuse socket in order to pick up the power supply.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline navmk4gti

• Forum addict
Re: An electrical question
« Reply #2 on: 26 June 2023, 14:38 »
Yup so the wire has a fuse at the end and a power wire coming off it..then also has a black ground wire. I out ground wire on a screw..and connected the fuse to one of the empty slots that gives 12v.

When i then put the ignition on i checked with a volt meter and the power cable is giving 12v.

I am wondering if it is a bad ground would it still show 12v ?

Ill try another ground point
theonestopLEDshop - upgrade LED lighting, car badges, wheel caps etc

Facebook/Instagram: @theonestopledshop

Drop me a message for more info and discounts!