Author Topic: DreXel - Mk2 8v on R1 Carbs  (Read 12991 times)

Offline Baylez8v

• Here all the time
Re: DreXel - Mk2 8v on R1 Carbs
« Reply #20 on: 09 November 2010, 15:24 »
excellent stuff, im planning on the 2e route myself except retaining my pb head and chucking bigger injectors and cams and what not into the mix.

i like the look of the cage so i dont blame you for it, i just have an ocd with practicality, and a show cage does nothing but weight the car down and ive gone as far as to strip my ENTIRE interior to the point that im now making my own dash, so if i had a cage it wud be one that served a purpous.

the plate are neither here nor there, they set the car off from the rest, u like them, i like them, probably hundreds of other people like them, old bill give u slap on the wrists every now and then, worst comes to worst u keep a legal set in the boot for when they really try and do you for it.

suprised to see such negative comments from a forum regular, at least be nice about and give usefull advice Diomond hell, rather than being an out right c*** about it.

sweet job mate, simple and impressive

Offline robz

• I live here
  • mk3's rule, haters gonna hate!
« Reply #21 on: 09 November 2010, 15:31 »
popcorn anyone?

Believe me its a dead ringer for you! Even says something stupid!

Offline DreXeL

• Not said much yet
« Reply #22 on: 09 November 2010, 16:01 »
Like I said before, I don't have a problem with negative comments, a show cage is always going to generate differences of opinion, but it's the attitude DH has that grates on me (as a lurker on these forums I'm not just referring to this thread). It's a shame about the attitude problem because other than that DH seems a knowledgable bloke. But hey ho, every forum has 'em :)

Back to the car, I do have a soundclip from when I first started it but it was taken on my phone so the sound doesn't come across very well. I have a new exhaust manifold on the way so when I've fitted that I'll take some vids on my camera which has better audio :)

« Last Edit: 09 November 2010, 16:03 by DreXeL »

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #23 on: 09 November 2010, 16:10 »
My friend currently runs R1 carbs on his 9A engine in his rocco. Runs a touch more power than standard. Sounds f**king immense! You've done well bud, engine looks very clean and the bay is looking sweet.

My vote is around 120bhp but with a load more torque!

Massive lol at DH. Check out the first load of pages in my thread :D

Offline DreXeL

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 09 November 2010, 16:19 »
I have a Newman 272 camshaft and (soon) a 4-branch manifold too, so whilst 160bhp might be optimistic, hopefully will be a bit more than 120bhp ;)

Offline robz

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 09 November 2010, 16:23 »
sounds brill mate!
looks the nuts, didnt even notice the cage tbh :D

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #26 on: 09 November 2010, 18:37 »
so whilst 160bhp might be optimistic, hopefully will be a bit more than 120bhp ;)

Optimistic?  It's pure fantasy!

135bhp on Interpro's rollers is my estimate.

You might have a sharp-as-a-razor throttle response but I'd wager the gain's not all that.

As for the scaffolding - brain damaged people tend not to post on forums.  :grin:

the plate are neither here nor there, they set the car off from the rest, u like them, i like them, probably hundreds of other people like them, old bill give u slap on the wrists every now and then, worst comes to worst u keep a legal set in the boot for when they really try and do you for it.

No, you're ignorant.  You won't get a slap on the wrists if they want to pull you up for them, you'll get a prohibition notice.  This means you can't continue on your way after pulling out your legal plates from the boot.  Your car will be prohibited from use on the public road until you take it to an MOT station and get it signed off as being legal.  The plates in the boot argument is stupid and useless.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline dan_apps

• I live here
  • too low for british roads!
« Reply #27 on: 09 November 2010, 18:46 »
nice work on the engine front :afro: does it run abit lumpy?

Offline robz

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 09 November 2010, 18:47 »
and the last thing ya want is a section 57? i think? basically the car asbo, but hey if you wanna risk then fine ;)

Offline DreXeL

• Not said much yet
« Reply #29 on: 09 November 2010, 18:54 »
nice work on the engine front :afro: does it run abit lumpy?

Actually amazingly smooth considering the cam and the fact that the carbs have had no setting up other than the change of jets, I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth and tractable it is. I have the idle set to around 900 rpm, and it idles sweet as a nut :)