Author Topic: DreXel - Mk2 8v on R1 Carbs  (Read 12988 times)

Offline DreXeL

• Not said much yet
Re: DreXel - Mk2 8v on R1 Carbs
« Reply #10 on: 09 November 2010, 13:59 »
I would imagine it was stickied because you took the time to detail how you put bike carbs onto the engine, the rest of the car looks very nice as well.

Out of interest what does the car perform like running the bike carbs? Did the engine go into the MK2 without any major surgery or is it still a fairly involved job compared to a VR6 conversion.

Keep up the good work.

Drives very nice so far and I can already feel the difference over the stock 8v, but I haven't really pushed it yet as I want to wait until I've checked the fuelling on a dyno. Being based on a 2E bottom end the engine itslef dropped straight in :)

At the risk of using a done to death old cliche: I like the plates and cage, and that's what matters

I'm sure you'll like the plates when you're sitting at the side of the road figuring out how to get home after getting a prohibition notice so you can't drive your car any further.

Likewise I'm sure you'll like the scaffolding in the car if you have a crash and smash your brains out on the metal tubing inside your car....

£10 says it was stickied by accident - there are far more interesting cars on here.  :grin:

Yeah yeah, I've read all the horror stories about how dangerous a show cage can be, but funnily enough I have yet to see evidence of these horror stories.... Anyway either way it's a 'risk' I'm happy to take. Jesus, the Mk2 is hardly a paragon of safety anyway is it ;)

As for the plates, I'm well aware of the legality and ramifications of them. I've yet to be bothered by the plod though, they don't seem to notice/care. Again it's a considered 'risk'.

I agree with your point about the thread being stickied, but I'm sorry you don't find my car interesting, I thought fellow Mk2 enthusiasts might find the engine a bit interesting as it's not the tradional KR or VR6 swap. I fancied doing somthing a little different and thought people might like to see it. Not intesrested? You know where the back button is :)

Out of interest Diamond Hell, are you as much of a self-righteous dick IRL as you come across on here?

Offline jeremybarker

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 09 November 2010, 14:08 »
We are interested, so post away.

am i right in saying that you use the bottom of the block from an ABF and the head from a KR 8v with the bike carbs bolted on??

and yes DH bites at most things including my TV's :grin:

« Last Edit: 09 November 2010, 14:09 by jeremybarker »

Making up for lost time

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #12 on: 09 November 2010, 14:13 »
DH is a over opinionated hill billy, but unfortunatly he can do no wrong on this site with certain members/moderators

the car is sweet, keep the pics coming. love the black plates too, wanted them on mine but a bit too risky for me where i live

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline DreXeL

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 09 November 2010, 14:14 »
The bottom end/block is a 2.0 2E (early mk3 8v), the head is a crossflow from a mk4 2.0 8v (I forget the code). The head needs a couple of mods to fit (two of the head-bolt holes need opening up and one of the oil feeds needs filling/reshaping), but other than that it bolts straight on to the 2E bottom end.

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #14 on: 09 November 2010, 14:20 »
any idea of what power its putting out ?

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline DreXeL

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 09 November 2010, 14:25 »
Hard to say before I put it on the dyno, I guess ~160ish, but that could be way off the mark. My ****ty home-made inlet manifold won't be helping either :D

I wasn't going for ultimate power though, I've just built the engine up bit by bit over the past year as something to play with, like I say its something a little different and sounds great too :)

Offline Martz

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #16 on: 09 November 2010, 14:50 »
Bet it sounds awesome. Liking this car. :cool:

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #17 on: 09 November 2010, 14:52 »
Excellent work, something different. :afro:

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #18 on: 09 November 2010, 14:56 »
Like :afro:

Get a video clip of it running  :cool:

Offline robz

• I live here
  • mk3's rule, haters gonna hate!
« Reply #19 on: 09 November 2010, 15:17 »
loving it mate! agree on the clip, need to hear this...
oh and martz, get a smaller sig :D bad man ;)

Believe me its a dead ringer for you! Even says something stupid!