Author Topic: cooland loss and oil leak after DMF replacement  (Read 382 times)

Offline Gtdtom

• Just got here
cooland loss and oil leak after DMF replacement
« on: 05 July 2024, 23:18 »
Hi guys,

I have a Mk 6 gtd dsg. I have just had the dual mass fly wheel changed last week due to symptoms of it failing.

Today as i was leaving home, a warning message popped up stating i had low coolant levels. Upon checking my header tank was completely empty. I filled it up and have driven the car around 40 miles today. I checked the coolant level when i got home this evening and it was still at the level i had filled it up to.

However, i noticed a wet patch on the drive. It is not water, but oil. I've had a quick look and it seems to be dripping somewhere from the passenger side. Could this be an issue with something the garage hasn't done properly when fitting the dual mass flywheel? Could the coolant loss and oil leak be connected? Ive checked my oil levels on the dipstick and it dosent seem low, but infact maybe a little over filled.

Does the gearbox oil need draining when changing the DMF? My initial thoughts were maybe they havnt fitted a seal etc properly.

Thanks for any input guys

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: cooland loss and oil leak after DMF replacement
« Reply #1 on: 10 July 2024, 22:18 »
disclaimer. Ive not done a dmf on a dsg gtd so I'm just going on experience of doing others.
The water pipe often gets in the way when removing the gearbox. Therefore they may have lost some water if they disconnected it and forgot to,top it up on reassembly.
Realighning the gearbox sometimes takes some effort. They may have disturbed the rear main crank seal but unlikely.

I'd check and see were damp and trace the location of the suspected oil leak, passenger side suggests more gearbox or brake pipes.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.