Author Topic: D A Polisher advice needed  (Read 1702 times)

Offline sundaydriver

• I live here
D A Polisher advice needed
« on: 20 October 2010, 18:17 »
Noticed a couple of scratches on the rear quarter of my car after washing it, tried to remove them by hand but no luck just made them worse(loads of swirls now also)

Im looking to buy a DA polisher, compounds, pads etc. Can anyone help point me in the right direction.

Will need the following;

DA polisher
Pads (cutting and polishing)
Cutting compounds (maybe light/medium/heavy?)

Thanks in advance, ALSO anyone in the north east area(middlesbrough) who could show/give any tips on how to use it without damaging the paint (would be willing to pay for the help)

Cheers Steve

2012 Golf R, APR STAGE 2+, BCS power valve TB exhaust, loba HPFP, evoms intake, Rising blue, 19" Talladegas -BMW M2

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
Re: D A Polisher advice needed
« Reply #1 on: 20 October 2010, 19:59 »
das 6 with various pads,wouldnt say you'd need cutting pads tbh, polishing and finishing pads you will need for removeing swirls etc.
menzerna polishes ftw on vag paints
start off with your finishing pad and your final finish, split your panels into 2 or 4 working areas, no heavy pressure when polishing and overlap your edges to ensure uniform finish, be carefull around the outer edges of each panel and on creases within the panels as paint will be thinner in these areas.
enjoy it dude.
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline waxamomo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #2 on: 20 October 2010, 20:25 »
As Dan has said, I wouldn't go with a cutting pad to start with either, a quality polishing and finishing pad is all you need to get started.

As for polishes, i'm a big fan of Meguiar's 105 and 205 at the moment, BUT, there may be a new line on it's way too me  :wink: Don't want to say much more than that at the moment, but my god are they good  :grin:

Chris

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #3 on: 20 October 2010, 20:51 »
BUT, there may be a new line on it's way too me  :wink: Don't want to say much more than that at the moment, but my god are they good  :grin:

Chris

cheeky cheeky dropping that one in there lol
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline waxamomo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #4 on: 20 October 2010, 20:56 »
sshhhhh don't tell anyone else  :grin:

Offline SI74

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 20 October 2010, 23:34 »
Have a read of this... answered all the questions i had

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63859

Offline sundaydriver

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 23 October 2010, 08:36 »
Thanks Chris, recieved my order today thanks (WOW! next day!!)

Easily removed the swirls with the polishing pad and megs80 but cant shift the scratches (used the cutting pad and megs83), didnt really want to do many passes until i get my technique perfected also.

Just a quick question, how much pressure should i apply when holding the DA?, i didnt really put much pressure on it, are you supossed to increase the pressure when you come to deeper swirls or scratches?

Anyway thanks again Chris (excellent service)

2012 Golf R, APR STAGE 2+, BCS power valve TB exhaust, loba HPFP, evoms intake, Rising blue, 19" Talladegas -BMW M2

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #7 on: 24 October 2010, 15:33 »
I dont think you should use much pressure as its the compound that makes the cut if you press harder it shouldn't make a differenc with the cut..
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline waxamomo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #8 on: 24 October 2010, 21:05 »
No don't overload it with pressure. A good basic rule, with the G220, is that it should make a rotation a second. Put a mark on the backing plate with a marker pen so you can see it rotating.

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #9 on: 24 October 2010, 21:46 »
Thats quite simple but clever lol
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)