Author Topic: Tyre recommendations  (Read 2582 times)

Offline MervJnr

• Just got here
Tyre recommendations
« on: 07 March 2024, 10:07 »
Looking for some new tyre recommendations - I imagine tyre topics come up a lot so I apologise!  :wink:

The standard Bridgestones on my GTi PP are nearing the end of their life so I'm looking to get some new shoes. Currently got a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6's in my basket for just under £350 which seems pretty good value for a well rated tyre(?).

Does anyone have any experience of these, in all weather and seasons? Any comparisons with Pilotsport 4/5's? Currently looking at ~£100-150 more for a set of the Michelins.

Thanks in advance  :smiley:

Offline matthewh

• Not said much yet
Re: Tyre recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2024, 11:18 »
Mine had Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres and changed to Pilot Sport 4S, I'm happy with them and would opt for them again next time, grippy and good performance in the wet compared to the Cup 2. Not too sure what they're like noise wise or the longevity as it's a car that does little miles and has reduced sound deadening.

To be fair any of those performance orientated tyres from the reputable brands are going to be good and they'll all have pros and cons, if one excels at one particular thing will lack something else. I've always just liked Michelin's, when it comes to performance most will opt for a Michelin, and I'm not sure if it's a thing but I like the look of them too  :laugh:

« Last Edit: 07 March 2024, 11:20 by matthewh »
Current:
2000 Rover Mini Cooper Sports Pack
2016 VW GTI Clubsport S - #250
2019 VW Caddy 2.0 TDI
2020 Mini John Cooper Works GP - #2166

Gone:
2015 Ford Fiesta ST
2010 VW Polo GTI

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 07 March 2024, 12:06 »
Replaced my Bridgestone Potenza’s with Michelin PS5’s, much quieter. Can’t comment on wear too much as only done less than 5K on them since fitted 12 months ago.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline petec

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 07 March 2024, 18:39 »

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 07 March 2024, 18:44 »
Same offer was in place last year when I got mine, really easy to claim the £100 back.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline gixerste

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 09 March 2024, 08:44 »
Looking for some new tyre recommendations - I imagine tyre topics come up a lot so I apologise!  :wink:

The standard Bridgestones on my GTi PP are nearing the end of their life so I'm looking to get some new shoes. Currently got a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6's in my basket for just under £350 which seems pretty good value for a well rated tyre(?).
I've got the goodyears fitted to my summer wheels and I can't fault them  :smiley:
Indium grey D.S.G. Mk7.5GTI pp

Offline ProtoCulture

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 09 March 2024, 23:27 »
Goodyear AS6 here, amazing tyre with superb grip. Downside is they wear quicker than most.

Once these are done I'll probably try the Continental SC7, because I har a lot of great things.
2016 Tornado Red GTI PP, DSG, 19" Santiago's, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Park Assist & Camera.
Mods: Revo Stage 1 ECU & TCU remap. Racingline R600 with Inlet pipe, turbo elbow and muffler delete. Clubsport S backbox. Eibach lowering springs. VBT Hooked discs and Racingline RP700 pads.

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 10 March 2024, 20:59 »
This is probably going to go against what many say here but I actually quite like the Pzero's that are fitted to our GTI.

The main reason is that they never seem to wear, whist still offering pretty decent levels of grip and comfort.

On my other car (BMW M140i) have the Goodyear Asssymetric 6, and the rears are nearly shot at 7500 miles of mostly gentle driving, the fronts are about half worn.

Grip wise they are better obviously, but the difference isn't huge. The Pirelli probably offer 95% of the grip, but offer around 3 times the life.

Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline TDInowGTiLover

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 26 March 2024, 19:16 »
This is probably going to go against what many say here but I actually quite like the Pzero's that are fitted to our GTI.

The main reason is that they never seem to wear, whist still offering pretty decent levels of grip and comfort.

On my other car (BMW M140i) have the Goodyear Asssymetric 6, and the rears are nearly shot at 7500 miles of mostly gentle driving, the fronts are about half worn.

Grip wise they are better obviously, but the difference isn't huge. The Pirelli probably offer 95% of the grip, but offer around 3 times the life.

I'm surprised by yours and ProtoCultures experience, usually it's the other way around. Obviously I'm not saying it's not true, just interesting how people have different experiences. Pirelli are well known for being soft but grip well giving high tyre wear. My own experience with Goodyear asymmetric 5 and then 6 is positive for wear. The assymetric 5 lasted me 20k miles on the front of my Leon and that's the most I've ever had from front tyres on any of my cars. It now has asymmetric 6 all around and seems to be wearing quite well. My wife now drives it so that could change how well they wear as we have different driving styles. One thing I will say is that subjective feel was better for me on the assymetric 5.
A few tyre tests that test wear also have Goodyear wearing well.
https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2023-AutoBild-UHP-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm
https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2023-Tyre-Reviews-Performance-Tyre-Test.htm

I'm also interested to know what matthewh did for sound deadening. I've found that tyre noise and exterior noise just as loud in my GTi as our 2017 Leon. I thought the VW would perform a bit better being the more premium brand. Best car I've owned for noise suppression was my 2011 Seat Exeo. For those not familiar it was basically a rebadged Audi A4.
« Last Edit: 26 March 2024, 19:26 by TDInowGTiLover »
2020 (70 plate) MK 7.5 Golf GTi performance in indium grey
Previous 2017 MK3 Leon xcellence tech (now the wife's)
2011 Seat Exeo 2.0 TDI sport tech
2003 Seat Ibiza mk4 1.9 TDI sport 130. was modded to 180 😁
2000 Seat Ibiza mk3 1.6 sport
1997 seat Ibiza mk2 1.4 SXE

Offline Pkempster

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 27 March 2024, 22:31 »
I’ve just had a set of 4 Michelin PS5s fitted on my GTI performance and I’m really pleased with them. They are not too noisy and the grip is really good. When I got the car in December it had mid range tyres called Lauffen (never heard of them either) which I was going to keep but a pothole put pay to that so I changed all of them.

The PS5s are night and day in comparison. Wet grip and damp traction is great and they have a good rim protector for the alloys. On my old Leon FR I had PS4S (sport) and they were equally impressive, the lateral grip was superb but the car didn’t have the same power so hard to compare the power transfer directly.
I got a discount for 4 at kwik fit but the PS4S would have been a lot more expensive so I went for the PS5.

I’ve had Pirelli Pzero Neros before on a scooby and they were brilliant.

The only tyres I’ve really not liked were Good Year Asymetric 3 as I found the sidewall too soft and they seemed to roll too much.