Author Topic: New to this section  (Read 4047 times)

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
Re: New to this section
« Reply #20 on: 03 November 2022, 14:57 »
Come 6th December that heated steering wheel will become a heavenly experience every time the outside temperature drops into single figures!
I did see that the heated ‘wheel and matrix lights were removed from a lot of MINI and BMW vehicles either as standard or options so fingers crossed your car will arrive with everything you ordered. Nice warm toasty fingers at that 😁

The BMW interior doesn’t feel gimmicky, just intuitive and super-solid. It genuinely feels like a much more expensive car inside and the interior solidity is more than just a feeling when you see the amount of chassis bracing BMW have added. Much more like older mk4 - mk6 Golfs and earlier generation Audi A3’s than the current crop of smaller cars from VW group.

I wasn’t aware that the F40 1er was being replaced so soon. That’s a surprise to me as the car was only launched in 2019. I appreciate the MINI chassis it’s based on has been around a good while but the 1’er still looks fresh and the chassis is a good one. I’ll have to pop over to the F40 forum and read up on that a bit, I’ve not visited there for a couple years for obvious reasons. Having been pretty settled with my Clubsport I’ve really cut back on forum use generally for quite some time.

The 128 will be something nice to look forward to and then the mk6 can have a bit of a rest over the winter maybe to protect it from the salt.
And apologies mk6’ers for dragging this away from the subject.
Here’s a pic of my second mk6 as compensation  :laugh:

Not as pretty as a Candy White 3 door on Glendales which to my eyes is the perfect combo, but still a smart looking car.

My wording was not great, its not new as in new platform, but the facelift, which will from understand will remove the control/touch dial for touchscreen, that dial is one of things love the idea of the most! so glad, beat the facelift. (EDIT: just had a proper look and it seems the idrive 7.0 does keep a controller, but have seen some general moans, so must be some aspects regular BMW drivers do not like)

Still think this might be last time see the 128Ti as an option and might not make it over to the facelift, we shall see.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/1-series/90088/new-bmw-1-series-facelift-nears-hot-m135i-spied

One us will drive the MK 6 GTI occasionally when we go in separate directions, usually to 2500 miles annually, at weekends in particular where coach grassroots football and off over the county and wife gets out and about doing her own things while i am freezing my toes in cold fields, but at least hands will warm up quick now on way home!  :grin: will report back one wintry football weekend to how much love have for that heated steering  :grin:

This will be my last lease, and imagine 3 years down the line will not go new for the main car, but 3-5 years, and can see a Clubsport/R being top of the shopping list, really like both, especially the R with performance pack

One of other reasons bailed on the TCR, is nobody really knows what car market will look like in 2-3 years, there could be a substantial plummet to prices we were used to prior to the shortages.

Would have been very happy to secure a ED35 with Watkins Glen in either 3 Door or 5 and in any colour, and even clean standard GTI, they lovely, classic wheels, and other colour were also in frame, it just happened the cleanest could find in that moment in time happened to be a preference combo, the cleanest car no matter wheels, colour, doors would have won though, as all look great as yours prove.

Rebecca over at VWROC just shared a photo of her previous and much loved Black GTI on Glendale, that's a nice combo also
« Last Edit: 03 November 2022, 15:09 by Hertsman »
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 03 November 2022, 15:02 »

Not investigated the bulbs, maybe the previous owner was well ahead of the game and has the best halogen in there, but is there any recommendation to what make and type of bulbs across the Main, Side, DRL and Fog, should be looking at for most optimised experience.

Hi Hertsman, in my Mk6 I currently use Osram Night Breaker Laser (H7) for low beam. Osram Cool Blue Intense (H15) for high beam and Osram Cool Blue Intense for the parking lights (W5W).  Fog lamps are still the original VW ones - don't use my front fogs all that much.  I personally have found the Osrams fine for my commute on dark country roads and main A-roads.

When I was doing about 30k miles a year I'd find the Night Break Laser H7s would last about 12 months before they popped and needed replacing, same with the parking lights.

For the puddle lights on the door mirrors I replaced those W5W type (think they're W5W, was a while ago) with Philips X-tremeVision LED 6000K lamps. Though this does cause a error to show on a VCDS scan as the LEDs don't draw enough current, so the car thinks there is a fault in the door mirror's lamp circuit.  Doesn't cause an error on the dash though. 

Interior wise I have replaced all the interior VW lamps with Philips 6000K LED ones.  For the footwell lighting a quick tweak on VCDS to tell the car it has LED lights in the footwell, so not to bother monitoring those. Boot, cabin and glove box lights aren't monitored by the car (well not on my 2009 Mk6) so no VCDS sorcery required there.  Tried the OEM VW LED rear licence plate lights but they caused a light out error on the dash that I couldn't code out with VCDS.  Though as you have a 2012 model I expect you have LEDs already illuminating your rear number plate.  :grin:

That is really useful information, doubt will change anything that needs any sorcery, happy to keep them stock, but will go and have a look at what bulbs are in there at present and will definitely investigate your recommendations, reason love forums is you get to make well informed choices and not waste time and money experimenting.

The rear lights are LED as are the number plates

Will feedback to how got on  :smiley:
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 03 November 2022, 18:53 »
There won’t be a better test of a heated steering wheel than after a chilly football session in mid-winter Hertsman!

Thanks for posting up the link to the 1 Series overhaul. Hopefully the front end won’t look like some of those hideous BMW SUV’s!! Fingers crossed they don’t change the looks too much as it’s a good looking car with nice aggressive undertones.

Considering the huge expense, lack of real choice and endless build waits for new cars now I think the plan to buy well cared for older cars is absolutely the right way to go. The build quality of the mk6 should see it happily share the driveway with your other acquisitions for decades to come  :smiley:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 08 November 2022, 18:31 »
Have been on these forums since 2013 on the MK 7 section, when ran a GTD for 3 years, and then an R, and presently a TCR, and did not think would be on the MK 6, but here we are 😊

Wife has been wanting to change her Audi A1 Black Edition 185BHP for quite a while now, and as we have always wanted a ‘new’ classic GTI we have just p/x the Audi for a MK 6 2012 (Sept) Candy White, 3 Door, Glendale Wheels, GTI 58,000 miles, from a dealer network, which has full VW History with evidence to oil change every year without fail, and with last service at 57,000 miles and 12 month dealer direct warranty on all major components.

What was the approximate cost please, I'm running a 2011 with 60,000 miles.

You'll find the MK6 heavier compared to the Audi and TCR but will a more "feel".
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 09 November 2022, 08:52 »
Have been on these forums since 2013 on the MK 7 section, when ran a GTD for 3 years, and then an R, and presently a TCR, and did not think would be on the MK 6, but here we are 😊

Wife has been wanting to change her Audi A1 Black Edition 185BHP for quite a while now, and as we have always wanted a ‘new’ classic GTI we have just p/x the Audi for a MK 6 2012 (Sept) Candy White, 3 Door, Glendale Wheels, GTI 58,000 miles, from a dealer network, which has full VW History with evidence to oil change every year without fail, and with last service at 57,000 miles and 12 month dealer direct warranty on all major components.

You'll find the MK6 heavier compared to the Audi and TCR but will a more "feel".

The price is really variable from whether buy private, from small dealer, or a main dealer if they have taken one in on p/x to shift and then there is the variable service history and mileage. Personally always willing to pay that little extra for cleanest vehicle with the best assurance,

The one purchased was advertised £14000 from a main dealer network, and we p/x a 2014 Audi A1 Black Edition + £2000, to which included extra 6 months warranty (to take to 12 months) 3 year gap insurance and life shine at reduced rate (basically we had to make it worth the dealers effort to make the p/x)

The Audi is now up for Sale at £14000 on their website

Had the Audi up on Autotrader for £12000 for 2 weeks and had no offers, and WBAC were offering £10850, Motorway was £11800

Given was having no interest privately think got car that wanted with not much of a leap to do so, and very happy with the transaction,

Imagine if wished to sale the GTI now, given have real good knowledge to what is out there, imagine one as clean as this could get between £11500-£12500 but likely no more than £11000 on p/x

Its like any car, as soon as leave the forecourt you have lost money but on p/x you can completely forget what car buying is advertised at and what your car is worth, with only figure that matters is how much prepared to spend in the change and my limit was £1500 as basically just wanted to swap cars, but we agreed to £2000 by buying 'product' which the dealer makes money on also.   

For straight cash, imagine you in the £10000-£11500 with a full history, but if p/x you do have some wiggle to back and forth a bit with dealer, though be assured they have to feel as making enough money to make it worth it.

The TCR is super light, a highly engaging car, absolutely love it, the MK 6 GTI feels more like my MK 7 R in weight, and thats no bad thing, it has its own comfort and pleasure in driving, nice and solid and planted, and has way more pull than ever expected, the biggest surprise, really thought there be a big drop off in pull, but none of it, hit a slip road with foot down the other day and whoosh it was off, all very smile bringing  :smiley:

The TCR is off in a couple of weeks, so makes the transaction even more worth it by keeping a GTI in the family, would have felt wrong not to

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 09 November 2022, 18:23 »

It’s a shame yours doesn’t have the optional xenon headlamps; they are quite rare - probably because they were quite an expensive extra cost option on the mk6 GTI and GTD. I did have them on my mk6 GTD and IMHO speccing them was money well spent. 

https://www.xenonbulbs.co.uk/Lamps/Golf-Mk6/vw-golf-mk6-Bixenon-headlamps

These might be worth a look. They are fake and use LED bulbs, but I have seen them and they are very good.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 09 November 2022, 19:15 »

It’s a shame yours doesn’t have the optional xenon headlamps; they are quite rare - probably because they were quite an expensive extra cost option on the mk6 GTI and GTD. I did have them on my mk6 GTD and IMHO speccing them was money well spent. 

https://www.xenonbulbs.co.uk/Lamps/Golf-Mk6/vw-golf-mk6-Bixenon-headlamps

These might be worth a look. They are fake and use LED bulbs, but I have seen them and they are very good.

If you want approved retro-fit lights, see if the Osram XENARC lamps are still available. These are MOT compliant with much less installation trouble compared to a factory retrofit

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 09 November 2022, 19:17 »

The price is really variable from whether buy private, from small dealer, or a main dealer if they have taken one in on p/x to shift and then there is the variable service history and mileage. Personally always willing to pay that little extra for cleanest vehicle with the best assurance,

The one purchased was advertised £14000 from a main dealer network, and we p/x a 2014 Audi A1 Black Edition + £2000, to which included extra 6 months warranty (to take to 12 months) 3 year gap insurance and life shine at reduced rate (basically we had to make it worth the dealers effort to make the p/x)

Thanks for the extensive information, last time a valued mine was in the pandemic with WBAC, they estimated £8500.

I will have to see if my one has continued to appreciate

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 09 November 2022, 19:33 »

Thanks for the extensive information, last time a valued mine was in the pandemic with WBAC, they estimated £8500.

I will have to see if my one has continued to appreciate

Used cars, even 10-12 years have been inflated by lack of new cars, but it’s all relative if selling as you get more for yours as pay more for what changing to, so in reality the ‘change’ for figure has remained constant

In normal market with no Covid and chip shortages, would expected only £9000 for the Audi but the GTI would have only been advertised at £12000

My 66 R was on sale in 2019 for less than £20000, that same R if was on sale now with much higher mileage as a 6 year old car would likely cost £21000, that’s the chip shortage effect

I was quite happy to change at lower end of market as think it’s cost me as much as would at anytime, but in 3 years likely going to buy something pretty decent used for about £20000 so hoping by then that gets me 3 year old car with good mileage as now that cost me £27000

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 10 November 2022, 08:15 »

My 66 R was on sale in 2019 for less than £20000, that same R if was on sale now with much higher mileage as a 6 year old car would likely cost £21000, that’s the chip shortage effect

We sold a last of the Mk1 (65) Tiguan R-line 18 months ago through Motorway for £10,250 rather than px it against a new Tig. That was a pretty good price then. I'm thinking about cashing in my T6 Caravelle whilst the going is really good on them, and thought an older Tig would be perfect to use for work. I haven't seen a half decent one like we had before for less that £16k now.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.