Author Topic: GTD Fuel economy  (Read 6411 times)

Offline Optimus prime

• GTI forum regular
Re: GTD Fuel economy
« Reply #10 on: 20 June 2016, 10:03 »
I find the handling to be excellent just like being on rails, no problems whatsoever even at speed.  I was unaware the Police has gone for the xdrive option?  Certainly not seen any in use yet in Essex, same goes for 335d most Police cars seem to be 330d.  I can understand the additional training if you have been trained to handle RWD at speed etc as the characteristic are very different.  The grip stays constant where with RWD at speed there is a point where it will try and let go.  Personally very happy having had 535d's in the past this is certainly a good step up from a handling point & over 40mpg is a bonus.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #11 on: 20 June 2016, 10:29 »
46mpg isn't particularly good for a GTD over a 300 mile trip in the summer.

I'd have expect well over 50 if you were on the motorway for most of that.

Is the BMW your own car or a company one?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline C2K

• Here all the time
  • Northern Monkey
« Reply #12 on: 25 June 2016, 18:39 »

Probably dsg,  but huge amount of variables.  I'd expect mine to do 58 plus doing 300 miles now.
5 Door Night Blue GTD
Dynaudio, 19" Santiago Alloys, Adaptive Chassis, Leather Pack, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Bianca White 306 Rallye (Supercharged + Caged) : Melting Silver F54 Mini Clubman Cooper S

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 25 June 2016, 19:34 »

46mpg on a 300 mile trip in the Summer is absolutely sh!te unless maintaining 95mph the whole way. My GTD (Manual) achieved 58mpg average from Newcastle to Leeds and back (208 miles) in the height of Summer, with the aircon on 17C (ambient temp was about 26C) maintaining 80-85mph (with the exception of about 15 miles of 50mph road covered by SPECs camera, religiously doing 50mph), with a passenger.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Optimus prime

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 25 June 2016, 19:38 »
Dsg running in normal mode steady 80/85.  It never returned over 50mpg during my whole ownership.

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 25 June 2016, 21:50 »

46mpg on a 300 mile trip in the Summer is absolutely sh!te unless maintaining 95mph the whole way. My GTD (Manual) achieved 58mpg average from Newcastle to Leeds and back (208 miles) in the height of Summer, with the aircon on 17C (ambient temp was about 26C) maintaining 80-85mph (with the exception of about 15 miles of 50mph road covered by SPECs camera, religiously doing 50mph), with a passenger.

Depends if there's a lot of hills on the motorway. Newcastle to leeds pretty flat if I remember correctly. Still I would still expect to get over 50mpg. I got somewhere between 50 and 55 on my holiday to north wales (from lanarkshire) which included a detour via sheffield on the way back to see family.
2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000

Offline C2K

• Here all the time
  • Northern Monkey
« Reply #16 on: 26 June 2016, 08:28 »
Dsg explains a lot as they do seem to have a noticeablempg penalty,  but astonished to think it can't break 50 on a run like that. :|
5 Door Night Blue GTD
Dynaudio, 19" Santiago Alloys, Adaptive Chassis, Leather Pack, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Bianca White 306 Rallye (Supercharged + Caged) : Melting Silver F54 Mini Clubman Cooper S

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 26 June 2016, 09:01 »
Sootchuckers dsg gtd seems to be getting excellent mpg's so I don't think you can really blame the dsg box. Tyres maybe?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline AntGTD

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 26 June 2016, 18:17 »
My daily commute is 25 miles each way, 80% of which is at motorway speed My average since picking up the car 3 months at with 17 miles on the clock is 46MPG. Since picking it up i done several long trips, one of which was to the lake district which is a 500 mile round trip. On that journey i averaged 50MPG.
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD 180(ish) Reflex Silver with loads of stuff

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 26 June 2016, 18:33 »
Sootchuckers dsg gtd seems to be getting excellent mpg's so I don't think you can really blame the dsg box. Tyres maybe?

But Sootchucker does seem to try very hard for fuel economy and rarely exceeds 70mph, going by his posts. I believe running in goes a long way for both fuel economy and oil consumption. Baby it when running in or run in on motorway miles and the car will have a thirst for oil and fuel, be a bit mean (once hot) and vary the revs with shortish journeys and your car will thank you for it. Ran one of my 7 TDIs in on motorway miles and it used a lot of oil and was low on power and  mpg.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.