Author Topic: VW FLip Key  (Read 4510 times)

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: VW FLip Key
« Reply #10 on: 03 May 2005, 13:59 »
Got horrible images of round plug - square hole.... now, where did i leave me hammer......

Worst case scenario is I can only use it to hold the key!! Will look a lot better than the plastic end!!

Offline davero

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 03 May 2005, 14:03 »
 :smiley: mine is a laserline alarm, it may well be to big, but will suck it and see. have a look at dizzie's pages in projects, might be helpful  :smiley:

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #12 on: 03 May 2005, 14:04 »
Thats where i got the idea from (soz Dizzie!). All it says is how he trimmed the key to make it fit. Mentions nowt about the alarm.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #13 on: 03 May 2005, 16:08 »
Had a look at clubgti and found this thread. It shows the internal dimensions of the VW fob

http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43485&PN=3

Have just measured the 'gubbins' of my cobra key fob - it will fit with a bit of urm 'gentle persuasion'  :smiley:

Offline fireman sam

• GTI forum regular
Re: UPGRADE FROM STANDARD KEY TO VW FLIP KEY SUCCESS !!
« Reply #14 on: 05 May 2005, 20:35 »
for those of you attempting this it can be done did it today for me old mum ! :smiley:
she has a 2002 golf with standard keys and an aftermarket alarm fitted I've managed to give her a flip key with working immobilizer chip and her old fob circuit(gubbins to Russ :grin:) replaced into the flip key inners and it works a treat.
here is a guide which may help the others

you will need:
a standard key with working immobilizer chip inside
a new flip key off ebay or wherever
your original fob as long as it's not too big to fit inside!
a flip blade cutting to shape to go in the flipper
stanley knife with a sharp blade
patience :laugh:

ok here goes
first separate the 2 halves of the flip remote by inserting a small flat head screwdriver in the gap on the back and carefully levering apart.
now you can open up the button half of the fob as if you were changing the battery and remove the original circuit board and battery. next open up yourown alarm fob and decide how much work you've got to do with your stanley knife to get it to fit (took me ages but it's worth it) i was lucky and the original button lined up almost perfectly with original after a bit of packing with card to keep it still.
unfortunately to get the pcb in the flip key i did have to bend the battery contacts and one of them snapped ! :cry: so i had to borrow a soldering iron only took a minute though and it was working again fine  :smiley:
this half can then be put back together. the alarm works great in its new home altough only one of the buttons on the flip key does anything as this is all thats required to work the aftermarket alarm.

next you need to tackle the key bit. the old key is easily removed by pressing the flipper button and holding the key in the half way up position. you will see a hole with a pin you need to knock out using a tiny screwdriver (like you use on glasses) or a small punch if you have one, and a hammer. you can then replace with your own cut down key or the new one like i got for her from my local locksmith. and replace the pin

now your alarm will work and the key will open the door but you need to tackle the immobilizer.
you need to get the immobilizer chip from your donor standard key. open using a coin or screw driver on your standard key and look for a small cylinder made of glass. be VERY carefull removing it. it is held in by a small black clip and a bit of glue which can be scraped off. bend back the clip and tap it out carefully.

to open the flip key top to replace the chip is a bit tricky.
there is a small screw hidden behind the vw logo. the easiest way to remove the logo without damaging is th drill a small hole through the plastic of the key from behind, stopping when you get through and then push something through the hole to get the logo off (don't worry once you super glue the logo back on no one will know !)

you can now lever the 2 halves of this part of the key apart carefully. this was very stiff but gave way eventually. once open you can seethe glass chip you need to replace with your own.
reverse the process to put back together, replace he crew and glue back on your logo.
all you need to do now is out the 2 half's of your fob back together and enjoy ! :wink:

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #15 on: 05 May 2005, 20:48 »
Thats nice work m8. I'm waiting for my flip key to arrive; hopefully be here tomorrow!! Then I'll and try and fit the 'gubbins' from my cobra fob inside. :tongue:

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #16 on: 07 May 2005, 13:02 »
Well, got my new key but as i suspected the cobra gubbins dont fit. Will post some pics l8r to show everyone. Still at least my key looks cool!! :smiley: