Author Topic: Urgent Recall Notice - Engine Compartment Cover  (Read 5375 times)

Offline Colh

• GTI forum regular
Urgent Recall Notice - Engine Compartment Cover
« on: 14 April 2022, 13:04 »
Just received a recall notice letter from VW advising the engine compartment cover is potentially faulty on my 21 plate MK8 GTI, potentially leading to a fire. 

Advice is to 'shake it' to see if its loose and remove if it is.  No replacement available yet.

Not sure what I should be shaking though - no pics.
Current: 2021 MK8 GTI DSG Atlantic Blue
Gone: 2018 MK7.5 GTI Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2015 MK7 Match Night Blue
Gone: 2010 MK6 GTD Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2008 MK5 Match Blue

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Urgent Recall Notice - Engine Compartment Cover
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2022, 13:23 »
It’s the black plastic engine cover circled and arrowed in the picture below.

It may have been a loose fitting engine cover that was the cause of this GTI’s engine compartment fire (pictures originally posted over on vwroc.com last year).

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2022, 14:01 »
Aye, I just received mine as well.  I am in for a service in two weeks, so I will check it's fully secure for now and mention it when I drop it off.  Not sure if there will be a noticeable increase in engine noise with the cover off - it isn't the quietist of engines as it is, tbf. 

Note to VW: You buy cheap, you get cheap.  :whistle:
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline valentino

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 14 April 2022, 17:12 »
Just had mine too. Just pulled the cover off, easy as its just a push fit. Will leave it off till service which is mid May

Offline Colh

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 14 April 2022, 20:13 »
Thanks.  Just gave it a wiggle and there's no movement at all in it.

Coincidentally had a call from the dealership to book in a first service today as well.  Mentioned it to them but they didn't know much about it.  Hoping there's a software update for the glitchy infotainment.

Offline Tony Jazz

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 18 April 2022, 20:14 »
Hello,
Received the recall letter 14/04/22 from VW UK reference the issues with the Engine Cover.
Took my MK8 2020 GTI into my local VW dealer {Beadles Colchester} on the 16/04/22 to book an appointment whereby the Service Manager informed me that it can be done straight away as it only takes minutes {impressed with that as had expected a wait}.
He was correct on that because approx. 10 minutes later car returned. The dealer had no information from VW UK about any replacement part.
I also raised the issue about any Infotainment update news. No update on that. My GTI currently runs H56 Hardware with the 1668 Software installed. 
Seems that VW UK/AG are installing a better version on newer models, if they ever appear.
So left with a pretty sad looking engine bay and the odd peculiarities of VW software!
Keep smiling.
Mk 8 GTI DSG.
Moonstone Grey.
Purchased new in Nov 2020 by me.
Accessories:
Racing Line RL360 Gunmetal Grey 19"Alloys. Tyres are new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6. Both fitted 20/10/23.
Racing Line R600 Air filter system/hoses.
Racing Line High Performance Ignition Packs {Red}.

Offline phope

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 18 April 2022, 21:47 »
Hello,
Received the recall letter 14/04/22 from VW UK reference the issues with the Engine Cover.
Took my MK8 2020 GTI into my local VW dealer {Beadles Colchester} on the 16/04/22 to book an appointment whereby the Service Manager informed me that it can be done straight away as it only takes minutes {impressed with that as had expected a wait}.
He was correct on that because approx. 10 minutes later car returned. The dealer had no information from VW UK about any replacement part.
I also raised the issue about any Infotainment update news. No update on that. My GTI currently runs H56 Hardware with the 1668 Software installed. 
Seems that VW UK/AG are installing a better version on newer models, if they ever appear.
So left with a pretty sad looking engine bay and the odd peculiarities of VW software!
Keep smiling.

As your dealer about TPI reference number 2066316/1 and if applicable to your car

https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287277.msg2649252#msg2649252
Golf Mk8 R order cancelled...awaiting company car instead
Tiguan 1.5 Elegance for the wife & dogs
Skoda 1.5 SEL cheap lease special

Offline valentino

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 21 April 2022, 10:40 »
After removing my cover, havent noticed any increase in engine noise, still fairly quiet.

Offline Tony Jazz

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 22 April 2022, 20:48 »
Hello,
Keep smiling.

As your dealer about TPI reference number 2066316/1 and if applicable to your car

https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287277.msg2649252#msg2649252

Many thanks for the info.
I will email the dealer and let the Forum know of any developments.
Tony Jazz.
Mk 8 GTI DSG.
Moonstone Grey.
Purchased new in Nov 2020 by me.
Accessories:
Racing Line RL360 Gunmetal Grey 19"Alloys. Tyres are new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6. Both fitted 20/10/23.
Racing Line R600 Air filter system/hoses.
Racing Line High Performance Ignition Packs {Red}.

Offline Colh

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 23 April 2022, 18:45 »
Hello,
Keep smiling.

I guess they just removed the cover?  Is it any noisier?

I'm building up a list of issues now its booked in.  Had the SOS fault on long drive to Scotland and back.  Kept making a crunching sound and SOS message came up, then finally it said to book into workshop.

Also having intermittent issues with phones.  Not picking up my wife's phone, then not able to hear the person speaking from the car.  Rear USB-Cs seem to not work at times to charge devices. 

Need to drop them a note so they don't plead ignorance when it goes in.