Author Topic: New MK7 GTI Spec on Top Gear Website  (Read 17728 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: New MK7 GTI Spec on Top Gear Website
« Reply #70 on: 13 February 2012, 20:22 »
mk4 150

maybe it's time for a more significant jump
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Jimmymature

« Reply #71 on: 13 February 2012, 23:42 »
Why not?

mk4 to mk5 gained 47 bhp :grin:

Where does it leave the R to go? 300HP? Not VW's style.

I don't believe the the GTI will get more than 230.

Jim

Offline PenguinGTI

• I live here
« Reply #72 on: 14 February 2012, 00:28 »
MK5 200
MK6 210

MK7 220?

Ide say its going to be 220, Dont think many would like to bet me im wrong either

I'd bet against you.

As has been said the Mk5 offered a significant jump in power over the Mk4. Now some may say that the Mk5 was unique in that it sought to re-cast the GTI as a class leader, but in reality it was just VW making a brilliant - and competitve - product. To do so VW gave the GTI more power - a good deal more power in fact.

Admittedly the game has moved on considerably since then and the power outputs of hot hatches has reached quite silly levels (not necessarily bad levels of power, but plain silly nonetheless).

At the very least the GTI will have 230bhp IMO. I suggest this because the Mk4 was 20bhp down on the ST170, and the Mk5 was 20hp down on the Gen 2 ST (rated officially at 222bhp). The new ST has been released with 250bhp, so I'd imagine VW won't let the ST get too much of a power advantage. As for the VXR, well I don't think it's really a rival for the GTI anymore (perhaps the next Scirocco  :undecided:) - the looks alone put it in a different market from the typical GTI customer and the practicality of a 3 door only line-up is sure to be a factor for some.

As for the 260hp figure - that can safely be thrown out the window I think. That's simply too ambitious.

The rumoured 250bhp is perhaps possible. If I'm honest, there's about 10% of me thinking that it will be 250bhp, purely on the grounds that the Mk7 is clearly going to be an all new effort from VW. All this talk of 'GTI only' lighter panels and mechanical diffs... I don't think VW is going to go to these lengths and then release the car with only 10bhp more.

But we shall wait and see.

Offline HA54SYM`

• I live here
« Reply #73 on: 14 February 2012, 07:45 »
To be fair, the power thing is all irrelevant.

I think we can all agree, it will have more than the mk6 210, but if its a lot lighter (standard MQB said to be same weight at mk4) and with alloy panels and a mechanical diff, then even if it only had 220 hp it would be a very promising car on paper, even compared to its so called rivals.

Dave

94 - Roversport Tomcat Racecar

Offline Cliff_944

• Here all the time
       GerTruDe - The GTD...

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #75 on: 15 February 2012, 11:52 »
http://www.zercustoms.com/news/Volkswagen-Golf-VII-Engines.html

Nice photo!
"The diesel range of Volkswagen's seventh generation Golf will include a 2.0-liter unit with an output of 181 hp and 280 lb-ft of torque. The are also strong indications that the Golf GTD VII will get a twin-turbo diesel with an output of 220 hp."
 :shocked:

I think there will probably be a GTD with 181hp. Will there be second GTD available with 220hp?  :drool: There are rumours on the net that there may be a diesel Golf R. Would 220hp be enough for a R badge given all the torque?

A 220hp GTD would be quicker than all the current MK6 cars. Maybe even the current R? Would it need 4WD to cope with all the torque?

I'm having so much fun in my current car. Not only practical and comfortable, but also economical AND fun! GTDs are a great package. Would a diesel Golf R be as good a package?

This may be my next car :cool:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1068904_volkswagens-r-performance-brand-working-on-diesels-report

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline I.D.C.

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #76 on: 15 February 2012, 14:38 »
Have recently found out the next GTI will have 135 bhp while the GTI will be 100 kg lighter thanks to the lighter roof.
This will make for incredible handling while the car will feel a lot quicker also.
Was told the Golf will be out on June 2013 but don't know if the GTI will be out at the same time.

The new Polo R will have a brand new developed 1.6 TSI engine developing 210 bhp which will retail for £24,000 so expect the new GTI to be around the £27.000 mark.

I am seriously giving a Scirocco R consideration then change it in 3 years and go back to the Golf. I had a bad experience when I bought the Audi A3 when it first came out due to a fault. Trading Standards had to get involved. On that experience I don't want to get a new model until it has been in production for a couple of years by which time all faults ( if any ) will be fixed

Offline PenguinGTI

• I live here
« Reply #77 on: 15 February 2012, 14:48 »
Have recently found out the next GTI will have 135 bhp while the GTI will be 100 kg lighter thanks to the lighter roof.
This will make for incredible handling while the car will feel a lot quicker also.

Well that's it then. I'm out  :angry:

:grin:

I'm assuming you mean 235hp?

Offline I.D.C.

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #78 on: 15 February 2012, 15:21 »
I'm assuming you mean 235hp?
Sorry about that , yes you are right 235bhp.

Why are you out ?

Offline pottinger

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #79 on: 15 February 2012, 15:22 »
worry about the mk7 when ITS HERE !

enjoy what mk golf you have today  :wink: there will ALWAYS be a newer version
coming unless time freezes in which case a car would be the last of ya worries  :smiley:

love my mk6  :kiss: :kiss: :rolleyes:

potts

« Last Edit: 15 February 2012, 15:23 by pottinger »
2011 5dr GTI, carbon Grey, DSG, and looovin it !