Author Topic: 20vt wiring in mk3 / conversion into a mk3  (Read 12547 times)

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
20vt wiring in mk3 / conversion into a mk3
« on: 21 November 2008, 20:12 »
OK, so looking at engines at the moment.

all good with the mechanical side of things. Getting it in, etc. I got a m8 who can help fabricate any parts i might need to make it fit, make parts fit, etc.

Its just the wiring i dont understand. I dont know much about car wiring. I know a harness for a 1.8t is very complicated. But what wiring needs to be done?

I have heard you need ecu, keys, clocks from the 1.8t, but then i heard you dont need them!?!? not sure what you need?

Is it possible to play with the wiring on the 1.8t loom and just plug and play?

or is it easier to just use all the wiring from the 1.8t and use the ecu, clocks, igition barrel, keys, etc from the 1.8t too??

This is pretty much the thing im worried about and i guess this is the hardest thing about the conversion.

qpeng plug and play is a no, way too expensive. and i have searched around for this info and looked at various links. but cant find anything specific for wiring a 20vt to a mk3 1.4

Can anyone help??

Big thanks to anyone that can help, really appreciate it!

LL ;)
« Last Edit: 22 November 2008, 12:21 by LazyLunatic »

kells

Re: 20vt wiring in mk3
« Reply #1 on: 21 November 2008, 20:21 »
well your gonna need to do alot more than that

you will also need (as im going to be doing the same conversion in mine)

16v/VR6 g/box, clutch, pedal box and gearstick etc

will need full 20vt loom, ecu, clocks, keys and your gonna need to do something about your brakes.

and thats just what i can think off top of my head

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #2 on: 21 November 2008, 20:31 »
well your gonna need to do alot more than that

you will also need (as im going to be doing the same conversion in mine)

16v/VR6 g/box, clutch, pedal box and gearstick etc

will need full 20vt loom, ecu, clocks, keys and your gonna need to do something about your brakes.

and thats just what i can think off top of my head

thats all sorted.

brakes and gearbox, keys, loom, ecu, clocks, pedal box, etc all good.

its just the damn wiring. i have researched it all and feel pretty good about it all, EXCEPT the wiring. i just understand how to wire the 1.8t into my car??

kells, you doing yours anytime soon, or waiting til after winter??

LL ;)

Offline Rmachines

• I live here
  • Passat 20vT Estate and Candy White MK3 1.8 GL
« Reply #3 on: 21 November 2008, 20:51 »
Its all a hell of alot easier if you dont touch the wiring its self, just fit the mk4 loom into the mk3 as it is.  otherwise things can go horribly wrong.   its all plug and play, just need fiddle untill its all in place and plug it all in  :smiley:
10 golfs and counting! 

Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #4 on: 21 November 2008, 20:58 »
Its all a hell of alot easier if you dont touch the wiring its self, just fit the mk4 loom into the mk3 as it is.  otherwise things can go horribly wrong.   its all plug and play, just need fiddle untill its all in place and plug it all in  :smiley:

so to mod the 1.8t wiring so you can just plug it my mk3 is what i need to do?

if so, i guess you just need to figure out which 1.8t connects to each mk3 wire? i heard you can make your own plug and play like this, but want sure.

looks like a hell of a job changing over all the harness, with keys, igintion barrel, etc.

so if i did this plug and play myself, i can just use my current keys, clocks, all the dash wiring, etc? Just mod the 1.8t loom and use the 1.8t ecu?

ohh and can anyone explain how the wiring goes together. Not too sure about what goes to what. I mean wires come off engine and go to ecu, then to fuse box??? that type of thing, because i actually dont know lol!

thanks again!

LL ;)

kells

« Reply #5 on: 21 November 2008, 21:00 »
i really dont think its as easy as rmachines is saying, deffo wont be so easy to get your own clocks working...

as seen as your not a GTI to start out with their may be more issues

mine will be after winter matey

Offline RiCHiE360

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 21 November 2008, 21:07 »
Mate you will struggle massively to re wire the loom so it will work with the mk3 clocks and keys..

Id either fit the full mk4 set up i.e. loom clocks keys etc so its wont need the wiring touching or if you want it to work with your exsisting clocks keys etc q-peng do a plug and play loom but your lookin at a fair few hundered quid for one of those  :undecided:

Roofless VR6 FTW

kells

« Reply #7 on: 21 November 2008, 21:12 »
yeah about a 1000

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #8 on: 21 November 2008, 21:15 »
Also I think yours not being a GTI will make it harder, I have seen a couple done with stand alone managment but your talking big bucks.

As a idea, why not pick up a Gti donor and run a 16V or even a Vr6, could be a lot easier.

Offline RiCHiE360

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 21 November 2008, 21:18 »
Yeah whack a VR6 in.. then in a year or so bolt a turbo on it and scare any 20vT that comes near you haha  :cool:

Roofless VR6 FTW