Author Topic: 16v vs vr6  (Read 13965 times)

Offline Cable

• I live here
16v vs vr6
« on: 23 May 2010, 10:22 »
Just changed my 16v engine to a vr6 engine.

Hopefully this will settle all argument about them and maybe the 8v too. :grin:

The VR6 is DEFINITELY quicker than the 16v

The 16v is DEFINITELY lighter than the VR6

The 8v is DEFINITELY slower than both (i haven't had one or had go in one a go in one but its common sense  :grin: )

The handling (on street) 16v vs vr6 isnt noticalbe but i can feel that the front end is heavier than 16v so around a track the 16 valve will be able to take the CORNERS quicker.

When people say the 16v isnt drivable i don't know what they are talking bout, look at all the new cars that are 16v, are they not drivable to?

Hope this puts an end to 'vr6 is slow, 8v is the quickest 16v you cant drive posts  :grin: :grin: :grin:.

Offline Rmachines

• I live here
  • Passat 20vT Estate and Candy White MK3 1.8 GL
Re: 16v vs vr6
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2010, 11:03 »
Yea... sounds about rite,  but i have had several of every type of golf engine there is now and i have to say at the moment, im loving the 8v again.

I found the 16v was a fast engine but you have to work the whole rev range, and it pulls hard all through the range, where as the 8v just dumps a whole loads of torque down at once and quite a small amount of throttle,  and for me (who is on a realistic budget at the moment) that's great because i drive around town mostly and the odd long journey so i can enjoy the torque and the lively bottom end without guzzling fuel!

Now i have had all of the engines, and i would have the vr6 any day  but i have to say the 8v engine is sporty and it is fun!   

Of course the VR6 is torquy, fast, sounds amazing and its an effortless cruiser on the motorway, so that always wins!
10 golfs and counting! 

Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2010, 11:16 »
Hope this puts an end to 'vr6 is slow, 8v is the quickest 16v you cant drive posts  :grin: :grin: :grin:.

It won't :undecided:

Offline jonnypolish

• I live here
  • t2871r needed :)
« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2010, 12:02 »
Meh agreed  :cool:

We have yet to race though cable ;)
Tis not always the car  :laugh:
 MK2 VR y0!

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2010, 21:39 »
VR6 ftw.

kells

« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2010, 21:44 »

this is something people overlook

had all 3, not much in it, VR is the fastest yeah, but really only above 100, other than that, well, its not for me

16v is not much better than a 8v, longer gears which is better but other than that still slow

end of the day, the reality is non of em are fast enough

Offline Matty-MK3

• I live here
  • Automatic boats FTW.
« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2010, 21:48 »

this is something people overlook

had all 3, not much in it, VR is the fastest yeah, but really only above 100, other than that, well, its not for me

16v is not much better than a 8v, longer gears which is better but other than that still slow

end of the day, the reality is non of em are fast enough

For f**ks sake the 16v is noticably quicker then the 8vs! Including yours!
Golf MK3 1.8 auto and I didn't pay a grand for the "priveledge" :grin:, auto windows all round and a AC. Oh and I've got a luggage net you pricks!

Does that make my willy look bigger?

Oh yeah it's called Helda or something....

kells

« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2010, 21:50 »
not a massive amount as i already said mate, no point getting upset about it. i just sold a valver so i do know..

as said, all slow, i really is as simple as that

Offline Matty-MK3

• I live here
  • Automatic boats FTW.
« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2010, 21:54 »

:(

I've driven both and can honestly say the 8V is slow for a GTI and the 16V is not bad for a HATCHBACK but it IS not a racing car, GTI doesn't mean Lambo! :grin:
Golf MK3 1.8 auto and I didn't pay a grand for the "priveledge" :grin:, auto windows all round and a AC. Oh and I've got a luggage net you pricks!

Does that make my willy look bigger?

Oh yeah it's called Helda or something....

kells

« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2010, 21:58 »
driven both haha that old chestnut :laugh:

mate iv owned all 3..

right put it this way, a very well and healthy mnaintained 8v pulls up at the lights against a 16v which maybe has not been so well looked after

16v is 145 bhp at the factory, 8v is a crap 115, so thats 30 down, but the valver is feeling tired where as the 8v is healty..  now it gets interesting...... think about it

its obviously gonna be faster from he factory, you would be a idiot to say other wise. just do not feel than much quicker at all.. drivingg them on a day to day basis (not just 1 go) you really do see this