Author Topic: Mk8 Paint Warranty Claim  (Read 5216 times)

Offline Alip1977

• Just got here
Mk8 Paint Warranty Claim
« on: 25 April 2022, 16:49 »
Afternoon all

I have a couple of blemishes on my Moonstone Grey Mk8 Golf. Went back to the dealer who put in a warranty claim which VW agreed. There are 2 small marks on the driver and passenger door. Its due to go into a VW approved body shop on Friday but I'm now concerned about the prospect of having 2 re-sprayed doors when the car is only 3 months old! Considering saying leave it but its likely they wouldn't do anything if it gets worse over time.
What's your thoughts guys?
thanks

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Mk8 Paint Warranty Claim
« Reply #1 on: 25 April 2022, 18:57 »
I had a similar situation with my last car - a paintwork blemish on the nearside sill that looked like dirt under the paintwork. The dealership said they’d get it repainted, but I wasn’t keen to have part of my brand new car resprayed. The car was metallic blue so the whole sill would need repainting and blending into the rear wheel arch, with the risk of paint shade or paint finish differences between the original factory paint and new paint.

I decided to leave it as it was. For the first few weeks, I couldn’t ‘un-see’ the blemish - it was the first thing I looked for whenever I walked up to the nearside of the car. However, after a while I forgot about it, and didn’t even really notice it, even when washing the car.

Of the five VW’s I’ve owned, four have had either uneven panel gaps or a paintwork imperfection. Some I’ve had rectified but others I’ve lived with. So much for VW build quality - my current VW may well be my last……….. :whistle:

If I was in your situation, whether or not I had the blemishes rectified would depend on how large they are and whereabouts on the doors they are. I’d also be asking the dealer what the risk would be of paintwork colour / shade mismatch - Moonstone is non metallic so it ought to be relatively easy to get a good colour match, although the quality of workmanship is ultimately down to the individual body shop employee doing the work.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 12 June 2022, 07:42 »
On my current GTI, when it arrived, I noticed a deep scratch on the top of the offside front wing, down to the primer (which after an investigation was blamed on their in house valet guys, as it wasn’t there when it arrived off the transporter with the wraps still on as I took photos of it). Anyway the wing needed to get resprayed, and like you guys wasn’t happy and was really nervous on a brand new car.

Anyway, I’m really anal about my cars so when it arrived back after a week, before I would sign for it I spent about 40 mins going over it with a fine tooth comb- and credit to the body shop, it was mint and to this day you would never know.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 11 November 2022, 16:29 »
They often do post transport "fixes" anyway - and not tell you they have resprayed a panel...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 12 November 2022, 09:35 »
Guy I know does pointless dent removals and his biggest customers are main dealers.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.