Author Topic: Polo GTI hits 25  (Read 3304 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Polo GTI hits 25
« on: 17 May 2023, 17:56 »
Possibly of so little interest jv didn’t rush back off his fag break to post this up but…

Drumroll please

For the nostalgic amongst us - VW have released a 25th Anniversary Polo GTI

https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/en/press-releases/celebrating-the-birthday-of-an-icon-volkswagen-presents-limited-edition-polo-gti-edition-25-16015

https://youtu.be/PS1iftIi5jM

And pass the sick bucket:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjCr44lMdJA
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: Polo GTI hits 25
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2023, 18:46 »
 :undecided:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2023, 19:00 »
The linked article states it’ll be available to order in Germany from next month (production is limited to 2,500 cars), but doesn’t mention other markets, so maybe we won’t see it in the UK.

€35,205 (roughly £30,600) sounds a lot for a Polo, even if it is a limited edition GTI model. From the pictures in the article, it’s interesting to see it has conventional buttons on the steering wheel (the facelift Polo GTI that it’s based on has haptic pads on the steering wheel like the mk8 Golf GTI). Maybe Golf performance models will get proper buttons on the steering wheel when the mk8 gets its mid life facelift?

If it does come to the UK, I won’t be rushing out to order one to replace my 32 month old 11k miles 2020 Polo GTI+. I like the graphics along the bottom of the doors though :smiley:.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2023, 19:35 »
The decals and wheels do look good.
Maybe a few hundred will come to the UK, but I’d imagine South Africa will swallow up quite a few sales.

Interesting that VW fit leather as standard to this and the R20 Years yet blab on about sustainability and the removal of animal based trim on various other group models. Alcantara seats and steering wheel would have been nice.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2023, 19:52 »
Maybe a few hundred will come to the UK, but I’d imagine South Africa will swallow up quite a few sales.

Interesting that VW fit leather as standard to this and the R20 Years yet blab on about sustainability and the removal of animal based trim on various other group models. Alcantara seats and steering wheel would have been nice.

Yes, I like the wheels; not being diamond cut is a big plus :smiley:.

The South African market is an interesting one. The South African version of the standard facelift Polo GTI didn’t get the 207ps version of the engine or the 7 speed DSG that the facelift car for other markets got (it kept the 200ps engine and 6 speed DSG from the pre-facelift car); the reason given by VW was the poor quality fuels sold in South Africa. Therefore, as the ED25 gets the 207ps engine and 7 speed DSG, it’s possible it won’t be sold in South Africa.

The leather seats look nice, but I’ve never been a fan of ‘cold in winter, hot and sticky in summer’ leather seats. The large expanse of Piano Black trim across the dashboard is an interesting choice; a real scratch and swirl magnet.
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2023, 20:57 »
I think it looks pretty smart and if I was looking for something new I'd certainly consider it. But as a limited edition it does look like a badges and stickers job. 245PS engine would've been nice.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2023, 21:32 »
I think it looks pretty smart and if I was looking for something new I'd certainly consider it. But as a limited edition it does look like a badges and stickers job. 245PS engine would've been nice.

Yes, pretty much a badges and stickers job, plus leather upholstery (leather isn’t an option on the standard GTI).

Agree that 245ps would have been nice, but it’s then treading on the toes of the Golf GTI which is something VW would be unlikely to do, plus It’d probably make it too expensive.
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2023, 12:29 »

Confirmed by Volkswagen SA that the Polo GTI ED25 won’t be sold in South Africa, even though it’ll be built there. Only to be sold in Europe and Japan.

Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2023, 16:08 »

Leather is a very loose term thrown around nowadays will probably be leather effect plastic.

You'd think they'd make an effort with the front bumper at least, it's as aggressive as a polo match!
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2023, 10:46 »

Leather is a very loose term thrown around nowadays will probably be leather effect plastic.

You'd think they'd make an effort with the front bumper at least, it's as aggressive as a polo match!

It’s all about cost management these days. The GTI and GTI ED25 does get upper and lower honeycomb grilles and GTI hex-shaped LED’s in the outer sections of the lower grille to distinguish it as a GTI (apparently those LED’s aren’t fog lights - they automatically illuminate along with the LED light bar in the upper grille when the headlamps are on).
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk