Author Topic: Xenon Headlights  (Read 2546 times)

Offline willni

• I live here
Re: Xenon Headlights
« Reply #10 on: 07 January 2022, 11:23 »
Was driving last night and I was getting blinded, it was a mini on dipped beams...Might need to get a roof bar to counter these attacks.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline C2K

• Here all the time
  • Northern Monkey
« Reply #11 on: 18 January 2022, 14:12 »
I've had my Mk7 GTD since new in 2014, and am still on my original Xenon bulbs after all this time - can't say i've noticed a huge change in brightness, but they could do with some TLC after this time. I recall that originally I complained about the range to VW under warranty, where the bulbs were nice and bright but the range was causing a problem at higher speeds, it seemed too short for safe observations at around 50mph on country roads, despite having moved from a car with halogens. they never told me what they did, but the range issues I had experienced were no longer an issue afterwards.

My wife's 2017 Mini Clubman has LEDs, and as per previous posters these things are phenomenally bright, superb to drive with at night.
5 Door Night Blue GTD
Dynaudio, 19" Santiago Alloys, Adaptive Chassis, Leather Pack, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Bianca White 306 Rallye (Supercharged + Caged) : Melting Silver F54 Mini Clubman Cooper S

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 29 January 2022, 01:08 »
An update to this, I’ve raised the beam by two complete turns each side and that’s made a hell of a difference. I will give it a week to make sure it’s not a nuisance then try another turn.
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 29 January 2022, 19:55 »
Do you need to do anything with VCDS after raising them manually? I'm sure I had seen somewhere that you need to reset(?) them after raising them manually? I'm currently lowered on VWR springs and having serious range issues with mine, I've turned them manually a few turns but still they don't seem to be projecting far enough into the road even after fitting Nightbreakers.
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2017 MK7 Oryx White 3dr GTI
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Online dfm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 29 January 2022, 20:45 »
Do other people have dust inside their headlights? Notice mine does when I was washing it today.

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 29 January 2022, 20:51 »
As I understand if everything is stock then no you don’t. If you’re lowered you might have to recalibrate the auto levelling system so it knows what the new normal is. But don’t take my word on it.

I would say that the standard cut off is very short on this car. Two turns made a big difference but the throw still isn’t as far as our other car. Some have said they’ve adjusted by 4 turns.   
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 29 January 2022, 22:33 »
Do you need to do anything with VCDS after raising them manually?

Nope, my cutoff was dangerously low when I picked the car up after they did the PDI on it. Wound each side up a few turns until I got them just right, no need to do anything else.

Offline Dazie00

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 09 February 2022, 19:51 »
Just ordered the Osram cool blue intense  D3S and H7  cornering bulbs on the back of this, thanks .
GTI PP, Leather, Pan roof, Rev Camera, Keyless , MIB2

Gone but not forgotten
GTI 5 Man
R 7 DSG stage 1
GTI 5 DSG
RS4 B7
GTI 4 1.8T
GTI 3
GTI 1 CAB

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 10 February 2022, 17:00 »
Do you need to do anything with VCDS after raising them manually? I'm sure I had seen somewhere that you need to reset(?) them after raising them manually?

According to the VAG workshop books you need to "zero" the headlamps, then manually adjust, then to tell the modules that the new position is OK. (in short).

Basically there is the fixed part of the headlamp unit, then there is the movable part which auto adjusts according to the load on the suspension as measured by the sensor on the rear axle.

Park car on level ground, correct tyre pressures, normal empty load, somebody sitting in drivers seat....

Place headlights on dipped beam with steering wheel straight ahead (AFS off)...Then going into the module 55 "Headlight Range control", then basic settings, there are three pull down options, ...choose "run basic setting"( & leave running) this will place the fixed & movable parts of the headlight unit into the "zero" position between themselves, & you will most likely see the beam angle rise up. Now you can manually adjust the headlight units, then go back & click stop in VCDS, then select "acknowledge basic settings"...run this & thats it..you might get AFS light errors, just clear these as its normal...

All info here:-

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_MQB_Headlight_Regulation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bnqyqN49gA

You can just screw the adjusters without any of the above use of VCDS, but you aren't setting it up 100% correctly

Offline Mark G.

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 03 March 2022, 18:37 »
I had a 2013 mk7 GTD and had to get both mine replaced Q2 2018; car wasn't even 5 years old. £420 by VW dealer.