Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2827831 times)

Offline Popinman

• Not said much yet
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #10440 on: 07 July 2020, 20:50 »
One thing to note though with these touch up paints - the colour coat shrinks back quickly as it dries out. When you put a blob of the clear lacquer on, leave it a week. It's solvent based, not water based and shrinks back a lot over the course of a week. It's tempting to sand it flat on day 2 or 3, but it's still thinning out. Leave it the full week.

That's a good tip, thanks :smiley:

100% what I’ve just experienced. Wet sanded (hole punch out and stick to rubber on the end of a pencil technique), filled with base coat, left for a few hours, then clear coat. Left for 48 hours and wet sanded back down, but a lot of the chips are not now fully level with paint/clear coat. Will have to do again....
2018 GTi PP Indium Grey

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #10441 on: 07 July 2020, 20:52 »
Just bought some GTECHNIQ C5 to treat my Belvederes. Will look to coat my exhaust tips too as I am sick of having sooty tips.

Do you need to use a MF1 microfibre cloth? Not sure what it means by MF1?
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #10442 on: 07 July 2020, 20:56 »
These blending solutions are basically ethanol or propanol at around 70% concentration (any higher than that and it'll be too aggressive on the paint. It's more of a pain than very careful wet sanding with grit 2500 paper wrapped around a small foam block, a few strokes at a time.

There's a definite learning curve with these levelling solutions. More often than not on your first few goes you'll pull out the paint you diligently applied. There's a fine line between too wet (too much paint coming off)  and too dry (hardly any coming off and marring the paint surface.
« Last Edit: 07 July 2020, 21:17 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #10443 on: 08 July 2020, 16:45 »
Had our best friends come visit from Wales for the 1st time this year, and we all decided to go out for the day (as I’ve not ventured  further than the local shops over the last 4 months.)

We went in 2 cars (responsible social distancing and all that), and I led and Mark followed. Now my mate Mark isn’t a quick driver and has a little 3 cylinder Hyundai i10, so I had to take it really easy and steady, but this was by no means an economy run, just slow enough (65 on the Motorway) so he didn’t lose me. Was very surprised then to see this on my return - the economy of theses cars still astonishes me at times)

« Last Edit: 08 July 2020, 16:58 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #10444 on: 08 July 2020, 16:54 »
The days of 50+ mpg are definitely behind me now, I can get the TCR over 40, but mostly it's in the 30s. My long term average is around 35. Pretty good though.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline spider62

• Not said much yet
« Reply #10445 on: 08 July 2020, 17:31 »
Paul70 the MF1 is just the reference code for their own micro fibre cloth. Any decent micro fibre cloth will do the job.👍
GTI PP MK7,LSG,DCC,Winter Pack,Kenwood GNV-MIB1 + VCDS Mods

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #10446 on: 09 July 2020, 10:14 »
ECO mode Sooty..... bad Sooty!  :laugh:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #10447 on: 09 July 2020, 11:37 »
ECO mode Sooty..... bad Sooty!  :D

Haha, at that speed, there was no need for anything else Fred. Trust me, it’s out of Eco now.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #10448 on: 09 July 2020, 13:52 »
Right, just finished fitting the rear seat USB charging centre console mod. Part was purchased from AliExpress.

Luckily due to me having the factory wireless charging module (before it was dropped shortly thereafter), it meant I could access the multi plug for the cigarette lighter though the cubby under the arm rest (by unplugging and removing the 2nd USB socket and front plate in the armrest cubby), meaning I didn’t have to strip down the centre console.

Seems to fit like a glove and looks factory and works brilliantly. Note these are power only (not data), the 2 data & power USB plugs in the car remain up front. Took about 30 mins all in. I’d guess a couple of hours if you have to strip the centre console.

Offline Pretzel

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #10449 on: 09 July 2020, 14:16 »
Excellent