Author Topic: Window Winder Trouble (Grinding Noise)  (Read 740 times)

Offline Willdub

• Not said much yet
Window Winder Trouble (Grinding Noise)
« on: 03 March 2007, 17:22 »
Hello All,

I have a MK2 Golf Gti 1990 spec and after a recent car washing session i moved on to the interior and encountered a problem with the passenger side rear window. I was winding it down and i heard a noise which sounded like little pebbles or grit getting into to mechanism and after that the window got very stiff to wind. Unfortunatly i had wound the window down about half way by this point so it took a great effort to get it wound back up. After i wound it all the way up i tried to move it again and i got nothing at all. There seemed to be a great resistance and the winder went round but made a grinding noise whilst doing so. The window glass itself didn't move an inch.
That is the position i am in now and it is really annoying me, especially with Spring here and Summer on the way, i really need the window fixed!
Coincidentally i also have a Mk2 Passat 1985 and after washing that i wound the front passenger window down and heard the same noise and now have the same problem of a very strong resistance and a grinding noise whilst the window refuses to move.

In my investigations on the Golf i have taken the winder off to ensure that it is turning the mechanism correctly and it is. I assume that i will have to take the door trim off and have a look at the mechanism inside the door to see what has gotten in and caused this problem. Can anyone advise me about what to do next and what to look for when i have taken the door trim off?

Thanks in advance

Offline Uruk Hai

• I live here
Re: Window Winder Trouble (Grinding Noise)
« Reply #1 on: 03 March 2007, 19:07 »
The mechanism mite have bit the dust or it could just need a really good clean up and re-grease.

Offline ...joe

• Forum Supporter
  • Forum addict
Re: Window Winder Trouble (Grinding Noise)
« Reply #2 on: 05 March 2007, 09:50 »
yeah you'll have to take the door card off and have a look. sounds like its knackered though! don't worry though, there are hundreds of golfs out there in scrap yards so shouldn't cost much to replace and can all be done with a 10mm spanner!
team grumpy....... its a way of life, not a forum post

mail@trimdeluxe.co.uk
www.facebook.com/Trimdeluxe