Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245749 times)

Offline turnipandchips

• Not said much yet
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #1310 on: 12 February 2020, 09:42 »
The decals looked alright on the grey TCR they used for the promo shots.... on your TR they looked bloody terrible.

What did VW charge for that option? Wasn't it something like £500 - being the tight Yorkshireman that I am, I'd be grumbling with every one removed  :grin:

If you ever feel like you want to repeat the mistake, or anyone else that wants to upgrade their Golf Match, I just found this on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-TCR-Honeycomb-Side-decals-graphics-Kit-3-DOOR-KIT-Mk7-MK7-5-Mk8-GTI-GTD-/123700139345

Mine was an unregistered stock car, so it already had them on so didn't "directly" pay for them, I wouldn't have spec'd them at £500.
Tornado Red 2020 Golf TCR, Westfield with Vauxhall power!

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #1311 on: 12 February 2020, 11:18 »
The decals looked alright on the grey TCR they used for the promo shots.... on your TR they looked bloody terrible.

What did VW charge for that option? Wasn't it something like £500 - being the tight Yorkshireman that I am, I'd be grumbling with every one removed  :grin:

If you ever feel like you want to repeat the mistake, or anyone else that wants to upgrade their Golf Match, I just found this on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-TCR-Honeycomb-Side-decals-graphics-Kit-3-DOOR-KIT-Mk7-MK7-5-Mk8-GTI-GTD-/123700139345

Actually liked the blended grey graphic on the pure grey as more subtle, and would have had them if standard, but its not something you pay for, let alone at £500

Love walking up to my TCR, the styling hits my own personal point of satisfaction, none of the additions being over the top and gaudy, the black and grey offsets perfectly creating a really nice stealthy stance.

Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #1312 on: 12 February 2020, 11:23 »
Love walking up to my TCR, the styling hits my own personal point of satisfaction, none of the additions being over the top and gaudy, the black and grey offsets perfectly creating a really nice stealthy stance.

TBH the Mk7 has been missing the flat grey colour for years. I've always wanted that colour.... to the point of even looking at a TCR largely because of it and despite it being a run out model.

I think it looks fantastic in grey with the black trims and wheels - VW should have realised this a long old time ago - the grey trend is hardly new, Audi and Skoda have done it for years now.

I never understand VW's choice of colours for the Golf - its totally at odds with the enthusiast base. I get why they might not want every Golf in strange colours, but why not chuck a couple into the mix. It's one of the few "normal" cars with an absolute hardcore following.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1313 on: 12 February 2020, 20:12 »

TBH the Mk7 has been missing the flat grey colour for years. I've always wanted that colour.... to the point of even looking at a TCR largely because of it and despite it being a run out model.

I think it looks fantastic in grey with the black trims and wheels - VW should have realised this a long old time ago - the grey trend is hardly new, Audi and Skoda have done it for years now.

I never understand VW's choice of colours for the Golf - its totally at odds with the enthusiast base. I get why they might not want every Golf in strange colours, but why not chuck a couple into the mix. It's one of the few "normal" cars with an absolute hardcore following.

The flat grey was the one thing that turned my head about the TCR.
In my previous house the guy across the road had an Octavia vRS in that shade and I always admired it.
Plus was always a fan of Nardo on RS3’s.
And not just because it matches my hair!  :grin:

Still, I ended up with my umpteenth white Golf and still thibk it suits the MK7 perfectly.
Maybe a Pure Grey ID.3 R one day...  :whistle:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1314 on: 16 February 2020, 17:44 »
Just got home after my weekend away for my Mum's big birthday. About a 3 hour drive each way and although it was mostly steady motorway/A roads I have to say I'm settling in very nicely with my TCR already. The pedalbox has definitely helped smooth out the pulling away although it still needs a bit of fine tuning, just a little less immediacy required but I much prefer the delicate approach to the throttle than a lead foot.

There's a bit more menace compared with my old PP, the engine sounds more purposeful even with a light throttle, not sure how much of that is the soundaktor as I have that on Eco, but it is a good noise. It picks up well and with what few opportunities I had, seems to hold on well although there was an incident of lack of grip in the rain today turning on to the slip road to join the M11 from services, wasn't pushing it so was a little surprised at that (also had one other incident of wheelspin in the wet at a throttle level that I didn't think unreasonable). I found the PS4S to be better in the rain so may swap to those once the Pirellis have worn out.

I'm getting to grips with the DSG, it does seem to want to drop a gear or two where I wouldn't in the manual but I suppose the ratios are different so I just need to stop thinking about it and let it do what it wants. So far it's just been in D and that seems just right. It is a very comfortable and smooth drive, perfect for long journeys.

The stop-start system is a bit pants after my manual PP, it's very difficult to get it to stop the engine and on checking the system status it says it's available :rolleyes: Then it'll cut the engine before I stop only to start it again when I do stop?! But when it does work it's fine so I'll leave it on. The digital dash is good, I like having the sat nav in the middle, much better, the fuel guage could do with being a bit clearer but overall, pretty good.

So overall I'm finding the TCR a very worthwhile upgrade to my MK7PP, very pleased with it and I think we have many years of great driving ahead of us. I just need to get to some better A/B roads where I can have some fun with it :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline jf111

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1315 on: 17 February 2020, 21:56 »
stuff

Thanks for that post. Really interesting to hear as I'll be in the same position soon. I think I'll be way more impressed coming from a Fiesta ST than you are from a GTI PP which is (essentially) the same car with some tweaks. Are you still running it in or just going for it?

Regarding the wheelspin, I'm not surprised with the power on tap! Probably to do with the tyres though as you suggest. As a side note, in every FWD performance car I've had, people have raved about dogbone mount or lower engine mount replacements, may be something to try? Not sure if it's applicable to cars with DSG.

Also, what is "the pedalbox"?

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #1316 on: 17 February 2020, 23:03 »
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline dean5125

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1317 on: 18 February 2020, 08:25 »
stuff

Oh-oh......

I suppose you don't know what you don't know!! :grin:

I'm guessing you're new to the forum (welcome if so?) coming from an ST and trust me if you'd been here for a while there is no way you wouldn't know what a pedal box is by now..... search it, it's quite heavily discussed to put it mildly!!! :laugh:

« Last Edit: 18 February 2020, 11:18 by dean5125 »
2019 (68) GTI PERFORMANCE DSG - new baby
2016 (66) GOLF R DSG - gone but definitely not forgotten

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #1318 on: 18 February 2020, 09:32 »
stuff

Oh-oh......

I'm guessing you're new to the forum (welcome if so?) coming from an ST and trust me if you'd been here for a while there is no way you wouldn't know what a peddle box is by now..... search it, it's quite heavily discussed to put it mildly!!! :laugh:

Peddle box or pedal box? Probably both :whistle:
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline dean5125

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1319 on: 18 February 2020, 11:17 »
stuff

Oh-oh......

I'm guessing you're new to the forum (welcome if so?) coming from an ST and trust me if you'd been here for a while there is no way you wouldn't know what a peddle box is by now..... search it, it's quite heavily discussed to put it mildly!!! :laugh:

Peddle box or pedal box? Probably both :whistle:

:grin: :grin: :grin: DOH!!! The amount of times I've read that I really should know how to spell it, I can't really even blame spell checker!! :grin:
2019 (68) GTI PERFORMANCE DSG - new baby
2016 (66) GOLF R DSG - gone but definitely not forgotten