Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245749 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #1260 on: 05 February 2020, 17:07 »
Everytime I see this thread back near the top of recent postings, I log on with eager anticipation of Watts amazing new TCR purchase!? :)

:laugh: Keep you eye out then :wink:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #1261 on: 05 February 2020, 17:35 »
Everytime I see this thread back near the top of recent postings, I log on with eager anticipation of Watts amazing new TCR purchase!? :)

Me too :grin:.

Took my car for its annual service and MOT yesterday and the dealer had a new, unregistered Grey TCR (without the side graphics) with 19” alloys in the showroom. First one I’ve seen in the flesh and I thought it looked great. Really liked the combination of Grey paint and black wheels too - and I don’t normally like black alloys.

I really liked the interior but resisted the temptation to sit in it, and made do with sitting in the white Polo GTI+ they also had in the showroom :smiley:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1262 on: 05 February 2020, 18:47 »
Exonian, I don't quite undwerstand your post above, if you have DCC with 19's, why not change modes.

On a choppy UK B road there is no doubt that comfort mode is beneficial.

There is that often quoted line about the CS-S ring lap car was driven in Comfort mode.

I get why the CSS was run in comfort allowing it to bounce up kerbs without breaking Benny L’s spine but I’ve never been to the ‘Ring and have no intention of going. I’m not a closet racing driver I’m afraid. I’ve no intention of exploring the car’s limits on public roads either, it’s way more competent than I am. I sometimes drive quite spiritedly but most of the time I’m stuck behind Mavis in her i10 doing 35 in an NSL with nowhere to overtake (and would only then get stuck behind Gloria in her Micra half a mile up the road if I did risk life and limb passing like a certain tw@t I see from time to time on my commute driving a white 7.5 GTI with a James Bond plate  :rolleyes: )

I’m not a complete bore (I hope). I did used to do occasional track days in my younger life and spent my whole first 30 years of driving modifying cars too, with countless remaps and Suspension kits, brakes, wheels, more wheels and even more wheels again.

Unfortunately nowadays I have no enthusiasm for it.
What makes a good track car makes for a less good commuter car in my experience.
I want sharp responses, relative comfort and engine flexibility for cut and thrust, not outright speed or on the limit finesse. I’ll leave the latter for those that worship Evo Magazine and have have far more money and time than me.

Normal is good.
I want something I can get in and just drive, have a bit of fun in and arrive at work unflustered. Which is what Golf GTI’s are all about.
Modes are fine, but so long as Normal allows me to do the daily grind and still marvel at how good the basic underpinnings of the car are when Mavis is watching Songs of Praise then I feel no need to find badly placed buttons or scroll through screens on the fly.
Hats off to Benny Leuchter and all the team who developed this great chassis. I found it superb without DCC and marginally better with it. I wouldn’t spec it myself.
I probably won’t be one of those lamenting high revving petrol engines once electric cars are properly developed to handle well and accelerate like Teslas. An ID.3 R would be lovely, thank you.

Now edited around 12 hours later:

Update.
Ok Mr clubsport, I took your challenge!

I did my 4:30am commute in Comfort (everything else in sport bar Soundaktor and gearbox)

The ‘ring CSS might ride the kerbs well but I elected to avoid the things on my way home!
I guess the Dynamic part of DCC firms up the dampers when they’re put under cornering load on track but when cruising public roads in Comfort I found the car body to be constantly moving around jelly like. Cornering felt a bit woolly and believe it or not, despite almost identical temperature and traffic conditions (no traffic!) the journey did 2mpg less than normal and average speed was slightly less. I think I drove a bit slower without realising as the car didn’t feel comfortable!

The trip included a few roundabouts, the city ring road and about ten miles of single track very winding country A road. Just over 13 miles all in.

The non DCC Ed40 felt taut and lively on that route.
The TCR in normal feels taut but slightly inert at times (similar to an M135i I had on test) when just cruising but much sharper when driven more dynamically, but in Comfort it’s too bouncy, the front outer damper wallows around roundabouts unless put under higher load and surprisingly in Comfort potholes actually feel worse and transmit more noise.

I’ll try it in Sport mode later in the week. I’ve got a dentist appointment next week anyway!

« Last Edit: 06 February 2020, 06:10 by Exonian »
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1263 on: 05 February 2020, 20:16 »

:laugh: Keep you eye out then :wink:

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #1264 on: 05 February 2020, 20:19 »

I really liked the interior but resisted the temptation to sit in it, and made do with sitting in the white Polo GTI+ they also had in the showroom :smiley:.

You say you resisted but the seed has been sown  :grin:
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #1265 on: 05 February 2020, 20:39 »

I’ve got very strong willpower :grin:.

Having said that, I usually change my car when it’s between 4 and 5 years old, and it’ll be 4 years old at the end of this month.......... :whistle:
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1266 on: 05 February 2020, 20:48 »

Having said that, I usually change my car when it’s between 4 and 5 years old, and it’ll be 4 years old at the end of this month.......... :whistle:

The interior is one of the highlights for me. Go on, you can change your name to SRTCR :whistle:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #1267 on: 05 February 2020, 21:04 »

The interior is one of the highlights for me. Go on, you can change your name to SRTCR :whistle:

Ha ha. I don’t think the incentive of changing my forum name is enough of a temptation.
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline jf111

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1268 on: 05 February 2020, 23:39 »
Why did you order a £30k+ car with alloys 'you don't like at all'? If they are going to bug you every time you look at them, then sounds like your mind is made up already.

I've been trying to find the 'perfect' hatchback and, after much research, guess what, it doesn't exist. The Golf is probably the closest though. Whatever you buy involves some sort of compromise.

I've been looking for a new car for a while. It's been a while since I've had a VW but I definitely have soft spot for them. I've had plenty of MK1/MK2 Golfs in the past and a MK4 R32. Then various other cars up to my current Fiesta ST.

Having driven the MK7/7.5 GTI and R on 2 different test drives (each), I didn't like the R as much as the GTI. Just didn't seem as fun to me, at least at road speeds. The GTI though was right up my street and I really enjoyed it. Anyway, I settled on a Golf GTI Performance but couldn't find the right car at the right price because stock is very limited at the moment. TCRs weren't even an option on the budget I'd worked out, or so I thought. I decided to go brand new because while there are plenty of decent cars between £20-30k, buying used is actually more expensive than buying a new car, especially with the 0% PCP finance VWFS are offering at the moment.

While looking around, a dealer offered me an extremely good price on a TCR and despite the spec not being 100%, I couldn't argue with the price. A friend put me in touch with someone he knew and I think I got some form of "mates rates". I'm paying less per month than someone I know is paying for a 1.4 Renault Clio (my deposit was £3k less as well).

Something like a set of wheels is so easy to change that it's insignificant. I was just looking for opinions on whether the performance pack is a "must have" or not, with the lowered suspension, etc. My car has DCC so it's probably fine, especially as I'm unlikely to be visiting a track any time soon (not ruling it out though).

Can’t make an exact comparison for you but I come from an m1335i on 18s to the TCR with 19s and DCC and the TCR is much better.

I think unless you are super sensitive their isn’t a reason to worry about going with 19s and DCC. It’s rrally does strike a great balance of comfort and firmness.

Reason I ask is that I've placed an order for a TCR but it has the 18s with DCC. I don't like those alloys at all, at least in the pictures so am wondering if it's worth changing them. Another option is cancelling the order and finding one with 19s (and the 'performance pack' to lower the suspension, etc). Can't decide. The car I've found seems like a good price and there's not many new TCRs left, so i'm in two minds about what to do.

Also, how did someone manage to get leather seats in a TCR? https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/new/201909252608770

Tried to PM you but you can’t receive them yet.

Hi

Just for info if you want to sell the alloy wheels then I’ll buy them off you. I’m after a set of the 18” Belvedere alloys for my Clubsport S. Give me a text on 07... Many thanks.

As you know, already sent a few texts back and forth. So if you wanted to go and edit your number out, feel free. I'll see what these 18" wheels look like in real life first but you have first refusal if I decide to sell them :)

Anyone driving a TCR with the 'Quaranta' 18" wheels & DCC, who has also driven one on 19s with the 20mm lower suspension etc? How much of a difference is it?

Daft question maybe, but why did you order with 18’s and DCC if you hate the wheel style?
Or do you hate the 19” designs too so opted to save £1400 or whatever?
Or was it a locked in order already?

As above, there’s a good market for Belvedere/Quantara alloys as they’re made by the hallowed Fuchs brand and are very light.
I kept the set my Clubsport came on but have had a few offers to tempt me to sell them, not least from the dealership staff when I part exchanged the car!

In your shoes I’d probably sell the Belvederes sans tyres or keep the wheels for when I sell the car again and either run the supplied tyres on a set of aftermarket wheels (18” Borbet FF1 are reasonably priced, light weight and suit the mk7 Golfs perfectly) or pick up a set of 19” Pretoria wheels as there are a few low mileage OEM sets of Pretoria Black on sale second hand right now.
Or get a set of replicas from CM Wheels.

I’ve run both 18” and 19” wheels on a GTI PP, R and Edition 40 without DCC and can say there is very little difference in ride quality aside from the inevitable slight extra jarring if you unexpectedly hit a sharp ridge (pothole you’d not been able to drive around or bad expansion joint) which is going to be the case with any ultra low profile tyre.
I now run a TCR with DCC and find it very comfortable in Normal mode.
To be honest I’ve never tried Sport suspension mode or Comfort as it drives fine in Normal and I can’t be bothered to mess about with menus non stop. Too many menus just add complication that isn’t necessary in my eyes.
At the end of the day it’s a sports hatch and either 40 or 35 profile tyres are going to transmit some shocks or noise on our dreadful roads. An SUV with loads of spring travel and balloon tyres is the only cure for that.
For its class the mk7(7.5) does a very good job of ride versus handling in any of the performance models even wearing 235/35 tyres.

See above for my explanation of my choice of car!

I think those Borbet wheels are quite nice. I'm going to have to find all the threads with MK7 Golfs on various wheels and choose something. I'm not interested in Pretorias, as while they look good, every other Golf seems to have them. I'd like to be a little unique - it doesn't have to be OEM+.

Thanks for the insight on the car in general - useful to know. It'll definitely be a step up in comfort from my current Fiesta ST (which is horrendous on anything except brand new tarmac) and I'll have to play about with the DCC settings myself and see what works.

I'm pretty excited to get my new car.. only a few weeks to go now!

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #1269 on: 06 February 2020, 08:42 »
Why did you order a £30k+ car with alloys 'you don't like at all'? If they are going to bug you every time you look at them, then sounds like your mind is made up already.

I've been trying to find the 'perfect' hatchback and, after much research, guess what, it doesn't exist. The Golf is probably the closest though. Whatever you buy involves some sort of compromise.

I've been looking for a new car for a while. It's been a while since I've had a VW but I definitely have soft spot for them. I've had plenty of MK1/MK2 Golfs in the past and a MK4 R32. Then various other cars up to my current Fiesta ST.

Having driven the MK7/7.5 GTI and R on 2 different test drives (each), I didn't like the R as much as the GTI. Just didn't seem as fun to me, at least at road speeds. The GTI though was right up my street and I really enjoyed it. Anyway, I settled on a Golf GTI Performance but couldn't find the right car at the right price because stock is very limited at the moment. TCRs weren't even an option on the budget I'd worked out, or so I thought. I decided to go brand new because while there are plenty of decent cars between £20-30k, buying used is actually more expensive than buying a new car, especially with the 0% PCP finance VWFS are offering at the moment.

While looking around, a dealer offered me an extremely good price on a TCR and despite the spec not being 100%, I couldn't argue with the price. A friend put me in touch with someone he knew and I think I got some form of "mates rates". I'm paying less per month than someone I know is paying for a 1.4 Renault Clio (my deposit was £3k less as well).

Something like a set of wheels is so easy to change that it's insignificant. I was just looking for opinions on whether the performance pack is a "must have" or not, with the lowered suspension, etc. My car has DCC so it's probably fine, especially as I'm unlikely to be visiting a track any time soon (not ruling it out though).

Can’t make an exact comparison for you but I come from an m1335i on 18s to the TCR with 19s and DCC and the TCR is much better.

I think unless you are super sensitive their isn’t a reason to worry about going with 19s and DCC. It’s rrally does strike a great balance of comfort and firmness.

Reason I ask is that I've placed an order for a TCR but it has the 18s with DCC. I don't like those alloys at all, at least in the pictures so am wondering if it's worth changing them. Another option is cancelling the order and finding one with 19s (and the 'performance pack' to lower the suspension, etc). Can't decide. The car I've found seems like a good price and there's not many new TCRs left, so i'm in two minds about what to do.

Also, how did someone manage to get leather seats in a TCR? https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/new/201909252608770

Tried to PM you but you can’t receive them yet.

Hi

Just for info if you want to sell the alloy wheels then I’ll buy them off you. I’m after a set of the 18” Belvedere alloys for my Clubsport S. Give me a text on 07... Many thanks.

As you know, already sent a few texts back and forth. So if you wanted to go and edit your number out, feel free. I'll see what these 18" wheels look like in real life first but you have first refusal if I decide to sell them :)

Anyone driving a TCR with the 'Quaranta' 18" wheels & DCC, who has also driven one on 19s with the 20mm lower suspension etc? How much of a difference is it?

Daft question maybe, but why did you order with 18’s and DCC if you hate the wheel style?
Or do you hate the 19” designs too so opted to save £1400 or whatever?
Or was it a locked in order already?

As above, there’s a good market for Belvedere/Quantara alloys as they’re made by the hallowed Fuchs brand and are very light.
I kept the set my Clubsport came on but have had a few offers to tempt me to sell them, not least from the dealership staff when I part exchanged the car!

In your shoes I’d probably sell the Belvederes sans tyres or keep the wheels for when I sell the car again and either run the supplied tyres on a set of aftermarket wheels (18” Borbet FF1 are reasonably priced, light weight and suit the mk7 Golfs perfectly) or pick up a set of 19” Pretoria wheels as there are a few low mileage OEM sets of Pretoria Black on sale second hand right now.
Or get a set of replicas from CM Wheels.

I’ve run both 18” and 19” wheels on a GTI PP, R and Edition 40 without DCC and can say there is very little difference in ride quality aside from the inevitable slight extra jarring if you unexpectedly hit a sharp ridge (pothole you’d not been able to drive around or bad expansion joint) which is going to be the case with any ultra low profile tyre.
I now run a TCR with DCC and find it very comfortable in Normal mode.
To be honest I’ve never tried Sport suspension mode or Comfort as it drives fine in Normal and I can’t be bothered to mess about with menus non stop. Too many menus just add complication that isn’t necessary in my eyes.
At the end of the day it’s a sports hatch and either 40 or 35 profile tyres are going to transmit some shocks or noise on our dreadful roads. An SUV with loads of spring travel and balloon tyres is the only cure for that.
For its class the mk7(7.5) does a very good job of ride versus handling in any of the performance models even wearing 235/35 tyres.

See above for my explanation of my choice of car!

I think those Borbet wheels are quite nice. I'm going to have to find all the threads with MK7 Golfs on various wheels and choose something. I'm not interested in Pretorias, as while they look good, every other Golf seems to have them. I'd like to be a little unique - it doesn't have to be OEM+.

Thanks for the insight on the car in general - useful to know. It'll definitely be a step up in comfort from my current Fiesta ST (which is horrendous on anything except brand new tarmac) and I'll have to play about with the DCC settings myself and see what works.

I'm pretty excited to get my new car.. only a few weeks to go now!

Colleague has a 67 plate ST and its quite a decent car, seems fun to drive, but ride is quite intrusive (these views from passenger seat down some lanes on trip to pub lunch) Interior was better than thought.

This same colleague has had the very same trip in my TCR and he literally drools over it, he has been in it at least 3 times and you think he was seeing it for first time each time such is his enthusiasm.

Sounds like you have got yourself a decent deal and imagine like most GTI the older it gets the more stable its depreciation becomes and maybe more so with the TCR, which all adds the justification.

I actually like the standard wheels, they look pretty good on the ClubSport when that was released and many kept them as standard (clubsport owners correct me if wrong) I just liked the size and the style of the Reifnitz more.

Personally think the DCC is the must and you have that, so happy days, and does give you lots of scope to play with wheel options and the standard ones will offset cost nicely as they are desired and relatively rare (as most went down performance pack path)

Graham from the forum has done a really nice job with his wheel options https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=285375.0

My previous car was the 300 BHP AWD Golf R and after 3000 miles + am enjoying the TCR just a little bit more, the 290 BHP keeps the pace of that R and some of the MK 7 > MK 7.5 general lifts have been pleasant surprises.

Many here choice is coming from their present GTI PP or Golf R when looking at the TCR so there are differences but the margins are either smaller or subjective.

However, coming from a Fiesta ST you are taking a leap and be interested to see how you take to the TCR.

Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC