Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245721 times)

Offline dean5125

• GTI forum regular
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #1250 on: 31 January 2020, 08:56 »

Definitely not blown away, it was a really good car and if I do change I'm sure I'll be very happy with it. Exonian talks about  all the little differences adding up and he's probably right, I'm not sure my driving environment will allow me to appreciate the differences though. My commute is 5.5 miles, nice and steady but no opportunities to explore a car's dynamics (I drive around the Heathrow perimeter road which is now 30mph with lots of cameras), my local roads are all slow and congested, when I go on holiday or visit family it is lots of motorway miles which are hardly exhilarating. I still enjoy driving, I just don't think I'll get much use of the extras a TCR offers.

I sympathise with you on this, my car does nothing but a 1 mile commute to the office, usually heavy traffic and a bit of pottering at the weekends but usually with a toddler onboard.... begs the question of why have a GTI? However Thursday night I go up to see my folks and the drive back on quite country roads and it all make sense.... These are the do everything car but I still think you buy with your heart!

The sad part is, I am a DSG convert and I don't think I'd ever go back to manual (lucky for me as they are on the way out!) but I'm taking the missus car for 2 new tyres tomorrow and I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to driving a manual again.... definitely only for a short time though! :grin:

2019 (68) GTI PERFORMANCE DSG - new baby
2016 (66) GOLF R DSG - gone but definitely not forgotten

Offline jf111

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1251 on: 02 February 2020, 00:35 »
Anyone driving a TCR with the 'Quaranta' 18" wheels & DCC, who has also driven one on 19s with the 20mm lower suspension etc? How much of a difference is it?

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #1252 on: 02 February 2020, 10:07 »
Can’t make an exact comparison for you but I come from an m1335i on 18s to the TCR with 19s and DCC and the TCR is much better.

I think unless you are super sensitive their isn’t a reason to worry about going with 19s and DCC. It’s rrally does strike a great balance of comfort and firmness.
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline jf111

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1253 on: 02 February 2020, 23:42 »
Can’t make an exact comparison for you but I come from an m1335i on 18s to the TCR with 19s and DCC and the TCR is much better.

I think unless you are super sensitive their isn’t a reason to worry about going with 19s and DCC. It’s rrally does strike a great balance of comfort and firmness.

Reason I ask is that I've placed an order for a TCR but it has the 18s with DCC. I don't like those alloys at all, at least in the pictures so am wondering if it's worth changing them. Another option is cancelling the order and finding one with 19s (and the 'performance pack' to lower the suspension, etc). Can't decide. The car I've found seems like a good price and there's not many new TCRs left, so i'm in two minds about what to do.

Also, how did someone manage to get leather seats in a TCR? https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/new/201909252608770
« Last Edit: 03 February 2020, 00:33 by jf111 »

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #1254 on: 03 February 2020, 06:14 »
Why did you order a £30k+ car with alloys 'you don't like at all'? If they are going to bug you every time you look at them, then sounds like your mind is made up already.

I've been trying to find the 'perfect' hatchback and, after much research, guess what, it doesn't exist. The Golf is probably the closest though. Whatever you buy involves some sort of compromise.

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #1255 on: 03 February 2020, 07:21 »
The 18s (to me) look great in person and much better than the pictures. Again, in my view not as good as the 19’s but each to their own.

If you are happy with the deal then I would just move on it. Wheels are the easiest thing to change and not for too much cost with plenty of options available.

You could always sell your old set to part fund or even keep them as a winter set (that’s what I would probably do).

I don’t think there are that many to be that picky over the spec available to choose from tbh. I would be perhaps reconsidering the deal on other items but not wheels, but as said, each to their own.
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #1256 on: 03 February 2020, 08:12 »
You will have no problem selling a new pair of the 18s, which I am sure will be cheaper than cancelling an existing order and trying to renegotiate a stock order simply due to supply and demand. My dealer (others may have a different view) was frank with me, stating they will have no new GTIs for over 12 months so they are not in any hurry to do a great deal on existing new stock cars. Perhaps their position will change if the cars are still in stock in 6 months time.

Putting to one side the looks the standard wheels, they are super light at 7.5 kg and strong too being forged. The weight reduction does positively affect the handling of the Clubsport.
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline st33ly

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1257 on: 03 February 2020, 10:27 »

Reason I ask is that I've placed an order for a TCR but it has the 18s with DCC. I don't like those alloys at all, at least in the pictures so am wondering if it's worth changing them. Another option is cancelling the order and finding one with 19s (and the 'performance pack' to lower the suspension, etc). Can't decide. The car I've found seems like a good price and there's not many new TCRs left, so i'm in two minds about what to do.

Also, how did someone manage to get leather seats in a TCR? https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/new/201909252608770

Tried to PM you but you can’t receive them yet.

Hi

Just for info if you want to sell the alloy wheels then I’ll buy them off you. I’m after a set of the 18” Belvedere alloys for my Clubsport S. Give me a text on 07834154523 Many thanks.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1258 on: 05 February 2020, 15:00 »
Anyone driving a TCR with the 'Quaranta' 18" wheels & DCC, who has also driven one on 19s with the 20mm lower suspension etc? How much of a difference is it?

Daft question maybe, but why did you order with 18’s and DCC if you hate the wheel style?
Or do you hate the 19” designs too so opted to save £1400 or whatever?
Or was it a locked in order already?

As above, there’s a good market for Belvedere/Quantara alloys as they’re made by the hallowed Fuchs brand and are very light.
I kept the set my Clubsport came on but have had a few offers to tempt me to sell them, not least from the dealership staff when I part exchanged the car!

In your shoes I’d probably sell the Belvederes sans tyres or keep the wheels for when I sell the car again and either run the supplied tyres on a set of aftermarket wheels (18” Borbet FF1 are reasonably priced, light weight and suit the mk7 Golfs perfectly) or pick up a set of 19” Pretoria wheels as there are a few low mileage OEM sets of Pretoria Black on sale second hand right now.
Or get a set of replicas from CM Wheels.

I’ve run both 18” and 19” wheels on a GTI PP, R and Edition 40 without DCC and can say there is very little difference in ride quality aside from the inevitable slight extra jarring if you unexpectedly hit a sharp ridge (pothole you’d not been able to drive around or bad expansion joint) which is going to be the case with any ultra low profile tyre.
I now run a TCR with DCC and find it very comfortable in Normal mode.
To be honest I’ve never tried Sport suspension mode or Comfort as it drives fine in Normal and I can’t be bothered to mess about with menus non stop. Too many menus just add complication that isn’t necessary in my eyes.
At the end of the day it’s a sports hatch and either 40 or 35 profile tyres are going to transmit some shocks or noise on our dreadful roads. An SUV with loads of spring travel and balloon tyres is the only cure for that.
For its class the mk7(7.5) does a very good job of ride versus handling in any of the performance models even wearing 235/35 tyres.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #1259 on: 05 February 2020, 16:08 »
Exonian, I don't quite undwerstand your post above, if you have DCC with 19's, why not change modes.

On a choppy UK B road there is no doubt that comfort mode is beneficial.

There is that often quoted line about the CS-S ring lap car was driven in Comfort mode.

I don't know if you have ever lapped the Nordschleife, but it has the characteristice of many tracks in one, with some of it fairly simiar to the previously mentioned UK B road.

Yes, you could say Normal mode with 19's is ok, it is, but it's certainly not optimal!

Everytime I see this thread back near the top of recent postings, I log on with eager anticipation of Watts amazing new TCR purchase!? :)