Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245754 times)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #1170 on: 17 January 2020, 18:50 »
Saw my first one yesterday in Pure Grey.   :wink:

how to host images
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1171 on: 17 January 2020, 23:22 »
Hopefully taking the OH tomorrow to see a couple of TCRs... :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1172 on: 18 January 2020, 06:31 »
Saw my first one yesterday in Pure Grey.   :wink:

:grin:

Good luck Watts! About time she chopped the Lupo in for something a bit bigger and it would save you selling yours!  :laugh:

Are you thinking new or ex-demo?
Being as you’re not going the finance route it’s harder to recommend new versus slightly soiled.
Getting the £2k inventive then paying off the balance could bring new ones down significantly but pre-reg’d ones are getting better and better value and will undercut the new ones still by quite a few thousand.
Some have a bit of mileage on them but at the end of the day if your using it as a daily driver then it’ll have a few 000 on the clock in no time anyway and someone has saved you the hassle of running it in! Just a decent polish required to remove the inevitable swirls.

Depends on whether you can still turn up the hallowed three door in your desired spec too. They seem very thin on the ground but at least will be earlier registered cars so well away from that heinous £40k road tax which is something I really couldn’t stomach in a mere Golf (maybe if I had a company car allowance or similar I might make an exception but I really don’t think I could love a Golf enough to pay it!)

If you’re going to compromise on a five door would you not hang fire until the mk8 GTI breaks cover (no doubt undisguised leaks will start appearing soonish to see how different it is to the GTE) to see whether it would make a better very long term car.
I do think the mk7 models will become iconic like the mk5 GTI models and stay in good demand amongst enthusiasts though. I can’t see the mk8 becoming particularly desirable until the first mid-life refresh. Plain ugly or ahead of its time is a matter of opinion!
I remember back in 1992 seeing a big bumper mk2 GTI parked nose to nose with a just launched mk3 GTI and thinking that the outgoing car looked classy, timeless, integrated, hewn from solid and plain handsome versus a more futuristic but cheaply designed newcomer. I’m hoping the mk8 doesn’t leave me feeling the same way.

Unlike my Clubsport which I hardly used, I’ve been piling the miles on the TCR and can say now with confidence the 7 speed DSG has grown on me loads now that I’m familiar with the programming. I rarely move it out of D (unless I need to go backwards  :grin: ) and even in the non sporty setting it copes with 99% of situations pretty well once one gets used to throttle positioning to encourage it to react how you want it. That takes a while to get used to but once you fathom out what the TCU programmers brief was it all falls in place.
There are some things I still don’t like but there were some things I didn’t like about the manual too (but they were probably more my own human limitations).

I could write an essay on how I think the TCR compares to my 2013 GTI PP but I’ll spare everyone. There are so many areas the TCR turns the GTI up a notch yet it still feels very much like a GTI not an R.

We’ll all be keen to hear how you get on with your TCR viewings :afro: 
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Philip

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1173 on: 18 January 2020, 06:59 »
Could require some careful route planning.  House of Fraser (2 hrs) > Ikea (2 hrs) > Nice lunch somewhere (1hr) > Debenhams (1 hr) > VW dealer (15 mins)  :wink: 
TCR 3 door

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1174 on: 18 January 2020, 11:02 »
Good luck Watts! About time she chopped the Lupo in for something a bit bigger and it would save you selling yours!  :laugh:

Are you thinking new or ex-demo?
Being as you’re not going the finance route it’s harder to recommend new versus slightly soiled.
Getting the £2k inventive then paying off the balance could bring new ones down significantly but pre-reg’d ones are getting better and better value and will undercut the new ones still by quite a few thousand.
Some have a bit of mileage on them but at the end of the day if your using it as a daily driver then it’ll have a few 000 on the clock in no time anyway and someone has saved you the hassle of running it in! Just a decent polish required to remove the inevitable swirls.

Depends on whether you can still turn up the hallowed three door in your desired spec too. They seem very thin on the ground but at least will be earlier registered cars so well away from that heinous £40k road tax which is something I really couldn’t stomach in a mere Golf (maybe if I had a company car allowance or similar I might make an exception but I really don’t think I could love a Golf enough to pay it!)

If you’re going to compromise on a five door would you not hang fire until the mk8 GTI breaks cover (no doubt undisguised leaks will start appearing soonish to see how different it is to the GTE) to see whether it would make a better very long term car.
I do think the mk7 models will become iconic like the mk5 GTI models and stay in good demand amongst enthusiasts though. I can’t see the mk8 becoming particularly desirable until the first mid-life refresh. Plain ugly or ahead of its time is a matter of opinion!
I remember back in 1992 seeing a big bumper mk2 GTI parked nose to nose with a just launched mk3 GTI and thinking that the outgoing car looked classy, timeless, integrated, hewn from solid and plain handsome versus a more futuristic but cheaply designed newcomer. I’m hoping the mk8 doesn’t leave me feeling the same way.

Unlike my Clubsport which I hardly used, I’ve been piling the miles on the TCR and can say now with confidence the 7 speed DSG has grown on me loads now that I’m familiar with the programming. I rarely move it out of D (unless I need to go backwards  :grin: ) and even in the non sporty setting it copes with 99% of situations pretty well once one gets used to throttle positioning to encourage it to react how you want it. That takes a while to get used to but once you fathom out what the TCU programmers brief was it all falls in place.
There are some things I still don’t like but there were some things I didn’t like about the manual too (but they were probably more my own human limitations).

I could write an essay on how I think the TCR compares to my 2013 GTI PP but I’ll spare everyone. There are so many areas the TCR turns the GTI up a notch yet it still feels very much like a GTI not an R.

We’ll all be keen to hear how you get on with your TCR viewings :afro:

Cheers! We had a very, very brief chat about the Lupo's future yesterday and it's not going anywhere! It'll have it's 17th birthday soon and has not long crossed the 50k mile threshold! The original exhaust needs replacing soon and the gear shift linkage needs tightening up, other than that it's in fine, if rather slow, fettle.

I'm definitely going down the ex-demo route, there's some bargains to be had so it makes far more sense. The one I'm hoping to see today is at 2k miles which is perfect and as you say, being a daily driver, it'll be ready for action! Waiting to see a MK8 in the flesh is on my mind and might perhaps be the sensible thing to do, the looks may not be encouraging so far but you really have to be in front of one before you can truly be sure. The buttonless interior is not ideal, I think my current car is spot on, not 100% liking the 7.5 but you have to move on, times change.

Today's visit will primarily be to see some different colours (I may have on the odd occasion given the impression that I think TR is THE best colour ever (which it is of course :laugh:)), to actively consider a 5 door and for my OH to have a sit in a TCR. She's actually quite keen (although that might be just to shut me up...) and even likes the TCR side decals (the spots)!

Could require some careful route planning.  House of Fraser (2 hrs) > Ikea (2 hrs) > Nice lunch somewhere (1hr) > Debenhams (1 hr) > VW dealer (15 mins)  :wink: 

Actually neither of us particularly like shopping so fine on that score! We'll drive straight there, have a good look, then we are going to an art gallery (if anyone is interested, it's the Watts Gallery in Compton near Guildford where the current exhibition is about the early 20th century portraitist William Orpen). Tomorrow I'm taking her to Brooklands for the January Vintage Sports Car Club meet :whistle:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #1175 on: 18 January 2020, 12:58 »
Went to my local VW today. Was tripping over TCRs. Great looking car in the flesh.

upload image to url

Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1176 on: 18 January 2020, 19:24 »
We had a good look over the 5 door Oryx TCR today. It was sunny which showed off the colour to good effect, quite impressed and my OH liked it too. The black trim parts and wheels looked great against the white. I prefer the Oryx to Pure Grey, so TR or Oryx seem to be the favourites. The seats and cabin materials were as nice as I remembered but not 100% liking the gloss black dash panels and the digital dash but if I get one I'm sure I'll soon get used to it.

Being a 5 door was okay actually, I suppose the only thing I noticed from the inside was just how close the B pillar was and therefore a little in my field of vision but as a positive I can see it being much easier getting in and out of the car in a tight space plus with my elderly mum being less than nimble on her feet these days, she'll get in and out easier too.

So, very positive, I shall have another look through the ads and a ponder and consider booking a test drive :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #1177 on: 18 January 2020, 20:22 »
On that basis, you could end up with a white. 5 door, Dsg, GTi for considerable additional cost.

Where did it all go wrong? :)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #1178 on: 18 January 2020, 20:40 »
We had a good look over the 5 door Oryx TCR today. It was sunny which showed off the colour to good effect, quite impressed and my OH liked it too. The black trim parts and wheels looked great against the white. I prefer the Oryx to Pure Grey, so TR or Oryx seem to be the favourites. The seats and cabin materials were as nice as I remembered but not 100% liking the gloss black dash panels and the digital dash but if I get one I'm sure I'll soon get used to it.

Being a 5 door was okay actually, I suppose the only thing I noticed from the inside was just how close the B pillar was and therefore a little in my field of vision but as a positive I can see it being much easier getting in and out of the car in a tight space plus with my elderly mum being less than nimble on her feet these days, she'll get in and out easier too.

So, very positive, I shall have another look through the ads and a ponder and consider booking a test drive :smiley:

I know it’s a massive purchase. But I think you’re overthinking it. My thoughts is that the TCR is a car you buy with your heart. It probably won’t make any financial sense against your existing car or even a new GTI Performance.

But if you want to own one, you just do it! Really feel like I’ll get one next in June. There will certainly be plenty to choose from that’s for sure!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1179 on: 18 January 2020, 21:23 »
On that basis, you could end up with a white. 5 door, Dsg, GTi for considerable additional cost.

Where did it all go wrong? :)

When you put it like that, I do feel a bit stupid, but...

I know it’s a massive purchase. But I think you’re overthinking it. My thoughts is that the TCR is a car you buy with your heart. It probably won’t make any financial sense against your existing car or even a new GTI Performance.

But if you want to own one, you just do it! Really feel like I’ll get one next in June. There will certainly be plenty to choose from that’s for sure!

But this ^^^. Thanks Jim, you're 100% right and well voiced, perhaps that's what I've been struggling with as there is no logical reason for changing. My man maths justification was doubtful at best :laugh: Still, my OH was sold on it, she was spot on in saying it had real presence, and I was impressed so I think I'm getting there :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.