Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245729 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #1120 on: 05 January 2020, 15:44 »
Deal done, let the wait commence. 👍

Great! Clearly the test drive didn't put you off but anything to note?
one or two things of note like how much quicker it is and how easy it does it. In conjunction with the dsg box it's a fantastic car. The other thing I noticed was the seats, they seem/feel much nicer than my current GTi pp ones.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1121 on: 05 January 2020, 15:58 »

How are you getting on with the DSG?

Some days I think it’s fantastic and other days it pisses me off - a bit like the manual box did  :grin:

To get the best out of it in D it requires quite positive inputs.
I don’t use the paddles much after initially using them a fair bit. It can’t block change using paddles which is irritating and with a bit of experience D can be just as effective by signalling your intention with judicious use of the brake pedal or throttle, such as a firm prod of the brake will drop it down a couple gears ready to take a bend without having to keep your foot on the brake to gradually slow down through sequential gears. The same manoeuvre in a manual could be done almost without touching the brakes depending on initial speed or a prod of the brake followed by a block change but all it requires is a bit of relearning which you’ll soon find natural after years in an auto Audi.

There also seems to be two completely different engine maps in one without touching settings, one which is quite economical but lacks character by using a trailing (gentle) throttle all the way through the arc and one that drinks fuel but goes like a bat out of hell even in D without completely depressing the pedal to the kick down switch, merely on ankle angle as opposed to how hard the pedal is pressed (plus engine and exhaust noise are different between the two apparent maps). Or maybe it’s my imagination. It could be a WLTP thing. Or my imagination  :grin:

I really warmed to the DSG with a bit of familiarity but it always lacks something to me. A manual gearbox is far far from perfect but can be used with a bit of finesse in normal driving where the DSG always feels a bit digital and makes the engine feel more like an electric motor at times.

So roll on fast, good handling electric cars with no bloody annoying gearbox at all!  :laugh:

« Last Edit: 05 January 2020, 16:07 by Exonian »
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1122 on: 05 January 2020, 16:00 »

one or two things of note like how much quicker it is and how easy it does it. In conjunction with the dsg box it's a fantastic car. The other thing I noticed was the seats, they seem/feel much nicer than my current GTi pp ones.

The seats definitely have a much nicer cloth than either the regular tartan GTI or Ed40 seats.
The fluffy bolsters are very grippy too.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Andy198

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1123 on: 05 January 2020, 16:02 »
@mcmaddy - really pleased for you; that’s a cracking spec. Hope the wait goes TCR quick for you.  :grin: :grin:
GTI PP Mk7.5 with DCC, Sunroof, Brescias / BBS SR & 90% Tints

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #1124 on: 05 January 2020, 16:25 »
@mcmaddy - really pleased for you; that’s a cracking spec. Hope the wait goes TCR quick for you.  :grin: :grin:
cheers and hopefully it's nearer 12 than 24 weeks  :whistle: :whistle:

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #1125 on: 05 January 2020, 16:28 »

The seats definitely have a much nicer cloth than either the regular tartan GTI or Ed40 seats.
the alcantara or micro fibre whatever they are sides are like the R seats. The tartan in the GTi is hard in texture by comparison.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1126 on: 05 January 2020, 16:37 »

I noticed the seats too, the materials are much plusher and feel more upmarket, one of the standout features of the TCR to me :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1127 on: 05 January 2020, 16:40 »

the alcantara or micro fibre whatever they are sides are like the R seats. The tartan in the GTi is hard in texture by comparison.

I’d had the furry bolsters in the R and Ed40 but the latter has a similar cloth on the base and backrest in a different pattern to the regular GTI tartan, a more canvas feeling cloth.
The TCR has more of a wool blend feel similar to the R. Though it’s probably all nylon.

I’m not an expert on types of cloth btw  :laugh:
« Last Edit: 05 January 2020, 16:43 by Exonian »
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1128 on: 05 January 2020, 16:45 »

How are you getting on with the DSG?

Some days I think it’s fantastic and other days it pisses me off - a bit like the manual box did  :grin:

To get the best out of it in D it requires quite positive inputs.
I don’t use the paddles much after initially using them a fair bit. It can’t block change using paddles which is irritating and with a bit of experience D can be just as effective by signalling your intention with judicious use of the brake pedal or throttle, such as a firm prod of the brake will drop it down a couple gears ready to take a bend without having to keep your foot on the brake to gradually slow down through sequential gears. The same manoeuvre in a manual could be done almost without touching the brakes depending on initial speed or a prod of the brake followed by a block change but all it requires is a bit of relearning which you’ll soon find natural after years in an auto Audi.

There also seems to be two completely different engine maps in one without touching settings, one which is quite economical but lacks character by using a trailing (gentle) throttle all the way through the arc and one that drinks fuel but goes like a bat out of hell even in D without completely depressing the pedal to the kick down switch, merely on ankle angle as opposed to how hard the pedal is pressed (plus engine and exhaust noise are different between the two apparent maps). Or maybe it’s my imagination. It could be a WLTP thing. Or my imagination  :grin:

I really warmed to the DSG with a bit of familiarity but it always lacks something to me. A manual gearbox is far far from perfect but can be used with a bit of finesse in normal driving where the DSG always feels a bit digital and makes the engine feel more like an electric motor at times.

So roll on fast, good handling electric cars with no bloody annoying gearbox at all!  :laugh:

Thanks for that, I'm still a bit on the fence with the TCR, very tempted, but I'm really enjoying the manual still and I don't need to change.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #1129 on: 05 January 2020, 17:21 »
@mcmaddy. Congratulations!! Looking forward to the photos! It’s gone too quiet on here for my nosey tastes.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.