Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245754 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #1100 on: 05 January 2020, 08:43 »
According to Andrew (volkswizard) the TCR has more bhp per tonne than the R. He did a video of 10 reasons why the TCR is better than an R. The other thing is insurance costs on the R due to a load being stolen. I don't fancy being one of the statistics.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Philip

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1101 on: 05 January 2020, 09:04 »
It’s a GTI for people that want a bit more than a standard GTI PP but don’t really want an R. Damned if I would ever recommend someone to buy one over an R but I don’t think many would regret it if they did.

Nail on the head.  It's a GTI, and an R, no matter how much more accomplished or quicker off the line, isn't a GTI.  The price differential between the GTI and R over the lifetime of the Mk7/7.5 has never been that significant as to mean that someone shopping for one couldn't possibly afford the other, and back in the days of cheap PCP deals the R was often less on a monthly than the GTI, and I would think that the majority of GTI owners went out to purchase a GTI, as I did despite paying more than the R would have run to.

Having now put 4k+ on my TCR I can say it really is a very accomplished car and I've yet to find any area of the experience leaving me wanting more or different.
TCR 3 door

Offline Zermatt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1102 on: 05 January 2020, 09:06 »
Perhaps already said on here but I see the GTI/ R split for VW being similar to the Carrera/GT/Turbo split for Porsche.

GTI = Carrera
GTI Performance= Carrera S
GTI Clubsport 40/ TCR  =Carrera GTS
GTI Clubsport S=GT3
R =Turbo
R- Performance =Turbo S

I doubt we will see a Mk 8 TCR ... as the VW TCR Race program has ended
2018 |Isaac Blue GTI| 3 Door |Manual |Art Velour| Bresicas
2018 | Alpine A110 Premiere Edition
2005 | Graphite Blue Mk V GTi- long gone but not forgotten

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1103 on: 05 January 2020, 09:22 »
According to Andrew (volkswizard) the TCR has more bhp per tonne than the R. He did a video of 10 reasons why the TCR is better than an R. The other thing is insurance costs on the R due to a load being stolen. I don't fancy being one of the statistics.

Sounds like you've already made your mind up Chris - better get that TCR ordered before the books close on it.

Not sure if insurance will be an issue with the R - I don't recall scores of Rs being stolen in Tyne and Wear. My R cost me £10 a year less than my GTD and the premiums didn't go up significantly in the subsequent years I had it.

I'm sure Volkswizard could come up with 10 reasons to get an R over a TCR (most based on practical real world use rather than ideal track conditions). Both will be good cars, they're 2 sides of the same coin.

I think your biggest issue with either will be whether you'll come to like DSG or just have to live with it - like me, I'd so much rather be in a manual, if VW hadn't taken that choice away.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #1104 on: 05 January 2020, 09:26 »
Perhaps already said on here but I see the GTI/ R split for VW being similar to the Carrera/GT/Turbo split for Porsche.

GTI = Carrera
GTI Clubsport S=GT3
R =Turbo
R- Performance =Turbo S

Someone made exactly the same comparison on Twitter this week.

Personally I agree that there won’t be a TCR in name but they’ll be two trim levelS of gti. Also, the Edition 45 will appear fairly early in the Mk8 lifecycle which will be interesting. Due 2021?
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #1105 on: 05 January 2020, 09:28 »

Tbf Andrew isn’t a fan of the R at all. Most of his recent videos have been The (insert name) is better than an R. He claims a T-Roc is!

I for one am looking toward to driving a TCR but the pricing of them, from the start, was completely wrong imo. Really interesting to hear the views of those who’ve driven both cars. I found it really difficult to chose between the R and GTI, both remarkably different cars.

Insurance wise my R was cheaper than the various gtis ive had and certainty cheaper than my S3.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #1106 on: 05 January 2020, 09:41 »
I can't remember who mentioned this (could have been Fred), does anyone definitely know if the otr costs are included on this ridiculous 40k luxury tax nonsense. All I can find from HMRC is list price. The list price of the TCR is less in the brochure but when you add on the OTR costs along with the options I want it takes me over the limit.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #1107 on: 05 January 2020, 09:45 »
Just seen this on whatcar "The list price should include on-the-road costs such as delivery and numberplates but excludes the first year’s road tax and initial registration fee." 👍

Offline Zermatt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1108 on: 05 January 2020, 09:53 »

GTI = Carrera
GTI Clubsport S=GT3
R =Turbo
R- Performance =Turbo S

Personally I agree that there won’t be a TCR in name but they’ll be two trim levelS of gti. Also, the Edition 45 will appear fairly early in the Mk8 lifecycle which will be interesting. Due 2021?

Yep that was my Twitter post ....I think we will see the Clubsport name back.
2018 |Isaac Blue GTI| 3 Door |Manual |Art Velour| Bresicas
2018 | Alpine A110 Premiere Edition
2005 | Graphite Blue Mk V GTi- long gone but not forgotten

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #1109 on: 05 January 2020, 10:00 »

GTI = Carrera
GTI Clubsport S=GT3
R =Turbo
R- Performance =Turbo S

Yep that was my Twitter post ....I think we will see the Clubsport name back.

Small world!