Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245751 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #1090 on: 04 January 2020, 17:40 »
What happened with the Cupra flirtations Chris?

After just over 2 months and just under 2000 miles I’d still be just as happy without DCC.
I’d ok but it’s not the be all and end all. It’s one of those things that are ideal for people that like pushing buttons and changing settings all the time.
I like simple. I like to get in a car and not need to set up dozens of things.

The only thing with DCC on the TCR is that it comes with a wheel package and the car looks better with the upgraded wheels IMO.
Still, at least you get lovely Bridgestones on the 18’s  :wink:

The climate screen isn’t as good as I’d hoped but not had chance to test it much this winter (thankfully)

The Dynaudio is much better than I’d expected after a disappointing experience with it in my mk6 many moons ago.

The TCR looks best in grey but I love my white one.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #1091 on: 04 January 2020, 18:01 »
If you've always had DCC, then you'll probably miss it; so the test drive is going to be absolutely key. Mine's (not TCR) in Comfort 80% of the time and I wouldn't be without it. I appreciate its very divisive though and plenty are perfectly happy to be without.

I think Nav Pro is a waste - the standard screen is nearly as big and OK, you can't have the map on both, but in day to day, it doesn't matter.

I think climate screen, grey and Dynaudio are good, solid choices  -I wish mine had Dynaudio but I wouldn't wait.

Good luck with the test drive, you'll know by the end of it about the ride and then can have a think.
cheers for the reply, much appreciated.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #1092 on: 04 January 2020, 18:11 »
What happened with the Cupra flirtations Chris?

After just over 2 months and just under 2000 miles I’d still be just as happy without DCC.
I’d ok but it’s not the be all and end all. It’s one of those things that are ideal for people that like pushing buttons and changing settings all the time.
I like simple. I like to get in a car and not need to set up dozens of things.

The only thing with DCC on the TCR is that it comes with a wheel package and the car looks better with the upgraded wheels IMO.
Still, at least you get lovely Bridgestones on the 18’s  :wink:

The climate screen isn’t as good as I’d hoped but not had chance to test it much this winter (thankfully)

The Dynaudio is much better than I’d expected after a disappointing experience with it in my mk6 many moons ago.

The TCR looks best in grey but I love my white one.

The local Seat dealer was offering crap trade in and wouldn't even entertain any discounts and that was before the finance rates of 6.1%! Golfs are currently on 0% so it would be remiss of me to at least explore 😉. You can spec DCC without the 19s which is what I'd probably do. Can anyone confirm that the list price includes the OTR figures too? If I go grey, screen, Dynaudio and DCC it takes me to 40154 but I'm sure someone said the 40k luxury car price didn't include the OTR costs.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1093 on: 04 January 2020, 18:52 »
^ Chris,

I'd forget the Demo, if it's been pre registered then it's not new. If it's not new, you won't get 0% finance or 4.9% with deposit contribution, more like around 9% APR.

Unlike Audi, I'm pretty sure that VW still quote OTR costs within the sticker price/RRP.

Performance Golf prices are verging on the ridiculous now - peoples car? Not at those prices.

How does a TCR cost a grand more than an R? I'm presuming that at 290ps, the TCR is also recommended to run on ultimate fuel? Are current Rs and TCRs running same gear ratios for economy? My old manual R (and presumably the old 6 speed DSG) had a ridiculously low 6 speed ratio, hammering the motorway cruising fuel economy. If the ratios are the same, I'd assume fuelling cost differences between an R and TCR are negligible.

I would feel obliged to get Prets on an R because Cadiz are hideous, but I could easily live with the design of the TCR's standard wheels.

Comfort-wise, there seemed to be something a bit magic about the R's suspension settings in that my old one on 19" Prets was far more comfortable/composed than my old GTD on 18" wheels - it seemed to defy logic.

It's a shame that the manual option has completely been taken out of contention.
« Last Edit: 04 January 2020, 18:54 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #1094 on: 04 January 2020, 18:56 »
Just going for the test drive more than likely Matt and to see if I can live without DCC 😉. The R is heavier than both the gtd and GTi so ride wise if felt more planted to the road. That's the feeling I got when I drove the R back to back with the GTi before buying mine.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1095 on: 04 January 2020, 19:11 »
Just going for the test drive more than likely Matt and to see if I can live without DCC 😉. The R is heavier than both the gtd and GTi so ride wise if felt more planted to the road. That's the feeling I got when I drove the R back to back with the GTi before buying mine.

Without having driven a TCR, I couldn't say for sure, but on paper I just couldn't choose a TCR over an R, pay a grand more and not feel a bit short-changed.

That TCR better drive magically to be worth the difference.

Is there any major equipment difference that the TCR gains such as extra special brakes/exhaust that I'm missing to justify not only the £1000 difference, but the cost of the Haldex system you're not getting on the TCR?
« Last Edit: 04 January 2020, 19:14 by monkeyhanger »

Offline Andy198

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1096 on: 04 January 2020, 19:13 »
I think the higher TCR cost is that someone at VW thought it would be a great idea to fit the Akrapovic Titanium exhaust as standard. I'd much rather have £3k to spend on something else..
GTI PP Mk7.5 with DCC, Sunroof, Brescias / BBS SR & 90% Tints

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1097 on: 04 January 2020, 19:17 »
I think the higher TCR cost is that someone at VW thought it would be a great idea to fit the Akrapovic Titanium exhaust as standard. I'd much rather have £3k to spend on something else..

That'll explain it. Like you I'd rather have the £3k. £3k will buy you a lot aftermarket. That exhaust sounds extremely poor value for money.
« Last Edit: 04 January 2020, 19:18 by monkeyhanger »

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #1098 on: 04 January 2020, 20:59 »
The R in comparison to even a GTi is rather plain and boring so all the online reviewers say. The GTi performance and TCR are more engaging and fun. Most of the reviewers say the GTi with less weight makes it a better drive but I know these things are quite subjective. I could just change my GTi pp for a 7.5pp with the same extras for near as damn it the same price as what I'm paying now.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1099 on: 05 January 2020, 00:08 »
on paper I just couldn't choose a TCR over an R, pay a grand more and not feel a bit short-changed.

That TCR better drive magically to be worth the difference.

The TCR is one of those cars that are nigh on impossible to justify on paper without really going into fine details.
There has been no official mention of it but to me it feels like a lot of the Clubsport and CSS suspension development has gone into the TCR.
I wouldn’t mind betting the springs are almost identical to the Ed40 CS having gone from one straight into the other (fractionally harder than regular GTI but still fine sans DCC)
In all ‘sensible’ comparisons the R would win over the TCR, no question of that. The R has the traction, ride quality and maturity along with better drag race launch control times. And I’m sure that point to point flat out the R would arrive home quickest.
Unlike the Ed40 I’m sure the R will hold value better than a TCR too.
But...
The TCR has some aces up its sleeve. It feels like a hot hatch, it sounds like a hot hatch, it looks like a hot hatch and it drives like an incredibly accomplished hot hatch. It’s a bit of an odd car to be blunt but it’s huge fun on the right roads driving solo.
Very unlikely anyone would be able to plumb its depths on a test drive, and on mine I was a little disappointed coming straight from the Ed40. But there was something nagging at me and certain reviewers who were clued up heaped praise on it. Once I had the keys in my grasp for a few days I gradually realised why.
It’s a GTI for people that want a bit more than a standard GTI PP but don’t really want an R. Damned if I would ever recommend someone to buy one over an R but I don’t think many would regret it if they did.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner