Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245748 times)

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #1020 on: 27 September 2019, 12:04 »
As my GTI TCR is arriving soon been thinking what feel could have added to the R that would have been of benefit over its time and the two items that think would be useful are a decent boot liner and some clear bumper protection (as it does scratch pretty easily).

Before start searching thought best to ask here where folk have found the best solutions either OEM or next best product?

Have allowed myself a small GTI indulgence and ordered 2 x genuine GTI silicone key covers

Now think the caps suit the Reifnitz wheels and abandoned switching them, not anything else that can think of that would really desire and be beneficial other than these 2 items, though open to some must have GTI accessory suggestions as this is my first GTI having danced around it for many years.

Don't buy a VW boot liner, they're not worth the money and they're not that great a product. I bought a Weather Tech liner and it's so much more durable and better made. You also get a heavy duty roll out matt to cover the lip and rear bumper to prevent it scratching the tailgate. It's affixed with press studs and tucks out the way neatly. It's also useful in winter if you need to lean into the car as it means you don't get any of the muck that will be sucked up the back of your car on your trousers. Unclip the studs and wipe down or rinse. I was sceptical but believe it's the best solution to the problem.

I looked at PPF - the cutting pattern is a waste of time, it doesn't provide enough coverage and the standard cutting patterns that you get with Xpel have similar shortcomings.

£96 might seem a lot but you've got a better product on both counts and you can take it into your next car. I'll post up some pictures as I've actually got the TCR this week. Went for grey to complement the Pure Grey of the TCR and I must confess to liking the lift it gives the black on black on black on black of the standard boot.

Thanks AGB, its the reason always ask and do not go immediately rogue, just saves from poor decisions.

Had looked about and what seen myself had just left me wondering on the quality of the product.

The boot liner and the bumper protection have always been an irritant that would like to resolve hence asked and think you found the perfect 2 in 1 answer! The ££ is not an issue always prepared to pay if think the quality genuinely matches the performance and price.

Think its £144 with the bumper protection.

Immediate thought would be the black option but if can post photos of the grey open to similarly being convinced as you.

Thanks for guidance - anything else you done for the GTI that adds?

I am sitting in a VW dealership at the moment as R is having service and MOT and there is a white TCR with Akrapovic in here and surprised me a little as the Akrapovic is more stealth than the chrome pipes, they sit deeper than the chrome pipes, level with the diffuser and being titanium they are not bright and so less noticeable - however they do have a real solid presence and def look the part - if sound the part is something that will find out soon but nice to see them in flesh.

EDIT: having just seen a TCR with standard pipes think its more an illusion as they do not sit any different, its just the type of metal and the much thinner diameter of the Akrapovic that make them look a little stealthier to the bright thicker chrome tips - the akrapovic certainly fit the space nicely must admit - definietly would not have paid for them, rock solid certain on that, but am liking what see, and hopefully hearing is same thoughts.

Also noted the DSG cover has had the alcantara removed for what seems like a fake leather (or maybe just a new hard leather till softens) and confirm the seatbelts do not have the red stripe

« Last Edit: 27 September 2019, 14:48 by Hertsman »
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #1021 on: 27 September 2019, 15:18 »
Here you go Hertsman, I think this will give you a feel for the product.

Just cleaning the car for my wife so took a pre extraction picture so you can see the setup.

The roll folds completely flat and doesn't get in the way. I took a shot of the fixing points - four press studs. It's secure and never comes off. It has to deal with a 13KG Welsh Terrier enthusiastically trying to get out for his walk on a regular basis and despite paws and claws, you can see there are no signs of wear or damage. Even if it did get damaged, it's about £15 to replace. 

The grey doesn't match Pure Grey but it does brighten up the boot a bit. I've got a black one in the CSS and it's just as nice but being dark, shows every spec where the grey is a bit more forgiving. All personal choice of course.

Spoke to my detailer and they have the same cutting pattern as VW so the PPF option can't really be bettered and on reflection, now that I have this, think it offers better protection but also protection I didn't count on needing. My wife being shorter than me, needs to lean further in to get to the back of the boot so it saves her clothes getting filthy. You can position that to your wife before mentioning all the impractical accessories that you added!  :smiley:

I don't think there's much else I'd do. I got key protectors on ebay, just to stop the key getting dinged. I have a GTI keyring in silicone which I rather like too.

Make sure the dealer sponsors this sort of additional stuff although the Weathertech not being official won't be an option of course.

MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #1022 on: 27 September 2019, 15:49 »

Also noted the DSG cover has had the alcantara removed for what seems like a fake leather (or maybe just a new hard leather till softens) and confirm the seatbelts do not have the red stripe

I have a GTI PP, and the leather around the DSG. Is the R alcantara then?

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #1023 on: 27 September 2019, 21:24 »

I have a GTI PP, and the leather around the DSG. Is the R alcantara then?

No, the TCR had an alcantara one but sounds like they’ve changed it to leather. Was odd choice as steering wheel is leather.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #1024 on: 27 September 2019, 21:35 »
They have probably now used up all of the alcantara DSG gaiters left over from the CS production run? :)

Offline Philip

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1025 on: 28 September 2019, 09:03 »
Late to this having been on vacation and a digital “emergency only” regime courtesy of the chief household officer, which I have to say has been very refreshing :wink:

2.2k miles on and the exhaust sounds really good, possibly slightly more throaty than the one in AC’s video clip. I’d rather have the Akra tips for appearance sake but otherwise wouldn’t bother and will live in hope that BMS produce billet ends for the 95mm tailpipes.

Great to hear there are several TCR’s just about to be handed over to their first careful owners. I haven’t seen another on the road so far.
TCR 3 door

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1026 on: 28 September 2019, 16:47 »
A red TCR passed me in Dawlish earlier, anyone here?
The exhaust (non Akra) sounded very fruity!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #1027 on: 30 September 2019, 09:58 »
The TCR goes head to head with the new Focus

No surprise in the final analysis as PH have always leaned to the others, but only one car I would personally take and have.

Having said that think the Hyundai N would definitely get a look if budget was compromised and my car did not have to do the daily drive superbly also and happy to change gears myself.

Nice to see the Type R omitted also so not have to read that bore factor of it being the real drivers car etc, and so on.

If I was looking for something rawer I would likely look at and be open to other options but daily drive is big requirement box to tick and these reviews never really consider that, its completely focused on the type of driving I might only be able to do on infrequent occasions and though others edge it for the writers in these stakes think the MK 7 will be the car want to be driving around in when doing the normal miles for the drive and the cabin (Focus interior  :sick:) and be more than entertaining enough when can push through a few of the nice open driving roads that know.

https://www.pistonheads.com/features/ph-features/focus-st-vs-golf-tcr-vs-megane-trophy-vs-i30-n/41029
« Last Edit: 30 September 2019, 10:04 by Hertsman »
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #1028 on: 30 September 2019, 10:47 »
Picked up my TCR over the weekend.  MY20 - Akra exhaust.

Gear gator is Alcantara not leather so not sure why the white one above is with leather!
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #1029 on: 30 September 2019, 11:15 »
Picked up my TCR over the weekend.  MY20 - Akra exhaust.

Gear gator is Alcantara not leather so not sure why the white one above is with leather!

Random parts bin dipping on the line imagine :) not fussed either way if honest, so lets see what I get in the lucky dip when time comes.

Look forward to initial impressions and a couple of photos, as yes we all seen a TCR now, but its always nice to see thats someones own TCR :)