Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245754 times)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #900 on: 16 August 2019, 14:18 »
Finally saw my first tcr today. The wait will be worth it for everyone I’m sure. Pure grey looked really nice, just not sure I’d like to clean it! That diffuser is huge and I’d be worried about it getting scratched but it looks awesome. Overall the car looked really mean with the 19s filling the arches nicely. It didn’t sound great on start up or as it drove away but the car had very few miles on it.

Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline king monkey

• I live here

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #902 on: 16 August 2019, 15:07 »
Finally saw my first tcr today. The wait will be worth it for everyone I’m sure. Pure grey looked really nice, just not sure I’d like to clean it! That diffuser is huge and I’d be worried about it getting scratched but it looks awesome. Overall the car looked really mean with the 19s filling the arches nicely. It didn’t sound great on start up or as it drove away but the car had very few miles on it.

My R was pretty mute on receiving and not sure technically why it happens but the note definitely improved to become deeper and with some nice overruns - The Akrapovich is not something ever thought to, so never really paid much attention to when they were added as options so I have no preconception of what will think and will just give an honest appraisal to what see/hear.

I am not overly precious about my cars I gave up a long time ago from worrying about every little nick and abrasion that you see when up close and inspecting and as long as the car is in good clean condition and with nothing that a good cut/polish/wax cannot resolve readily live with in between

My R has a few mild scratches on the diffuser and also the tailgate but again, just a decent cut and polish would remove much if not all of them.

Intend to clay, polish and wax (collonite) on receiving and aside from a jet wash when roads really filthy doubt it will get a proper clean, polish and wax again till spring.

Still personally not seen a pure grey TCR, and seen none of any colour on the road at all! I really thought I would have by now

But proof that they still out there and more see the grey more love it :)
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #903 on: 16 August 2019, 15:12 »
Hertsman, you will love it. The colour didn’t look dull even with the weather being rubbish today. I’d leave the mirror caps as they are, the worked well with the wheels in my opinion.

One thing is I walked away wondering whether I could drive it everyday as for a Vw it’s a bit boy racer. Then I thought yes I could! 😂😂

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #904 on: 16 August 2019, 15:20 »
Hertsman, you will love it. The colour didn’t look dull even with the weather being rubbish today. I’d leave the mirror caps as they are, the worked well with the wheels in my opinion.

One thing is I walked away wondering whether I could drive it everyday as for a Vw it’s a bit boy racer. Then I thought yes I could! 😂😂

I definitely do understated, the R fits what I personally look for perfectly, a subtle intent visually with some broader dimensions and wider this and bigger that, but with full capability so the TCR is a bit OTT for me really (you do read some journo say its not enough still) So I am a little glad getting in October as can hide it a little in its winter filth coat as get used to it  :grin:

The R lustre has never worn off for me, just been out and returned and another enjoyable, feeling good, journey testing out my new front tyres in the wet -
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #905 on: 17 August 2019, 05:27 »
VagSport res delete might solve this?

Been thinking about this but I suspect I won't be allowed to by my wife, particularly if it ends up droning. It's definitely bedded in and sounds better than when the car was new.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #906 on: 17 August 2019, 05:53 »
A few thoughts around the TCR experience after 1400 miles of mixed driving, and with a slightly different perspective to the excellent write ups from AGB as it’s my daily.

The seven speed DSG is a revelation in comparison to the six speed in my PP.  S mode engaged on the stick especially so as it no longer holds the revs to silly numbers regardless of throttle position and is now far more useful in day to day driving – sharpens everything up but when you maintain the throttle position it will change up as far as seventh.  Whether that’s the later DSG or the mapping for the TCR I know not but it does make such a difference to the driving experience.  Normal mode is fine for the commute and although it will try to get up the gears as quickly as it can there’s so much pull from low revs it really doesn’t mar the experience.

Suspension is firmer than the PP in normal mode, but pleasantly so and never jarring or uncomfortable even over the cart tracks that pass for roads in our locale.  Daft as it sounds, it seems to handle the craters better than the PP even though that was on 18”’s and also had DCC.  Once on the dual carriageway and cruising normal is excellent and comfort if anything introduces a little too much compliance and bounce.  I’ve only tried settings in sport for 20 miles or so (that Eleveden bypass again, and the next few miles of roundabouts and sweeping dual) and it makes the car properly responsive and nailed down – more suited to track use I imagine but it corners on rails and the VAQ seems even more effective with the TCR set up.

It’s a quick car, very quick indeed when given all the beans, and puts the power down incredibly well.  It is possible to induce some slight tramping if leaving the lights with a lead foot approach but otherwise the traction is superb, the P Zeros not even squeaking under hard acceleration off the line and once on the move the power just keeps on coming and to far higher revs than the PP.  There is a pleasing burble from the exhaust, and a small crack on full throttle changing up although not as obvious as the PP, plus some subdued crackles and pops on overrun from high revs, but as others have said the TCR is far too quiet I’m beginning to wonder if mine has already blown a baffle or three somewhere as it does sound far more sporty than the PP did even after 30k miles.

Overall I’m enjoying it more every day, and it is the consummate all-rounder – everything I need and nothing I don’t.  Those of you waiting on delivery will not be disappointed.

Thanks for the kind comment about my rambling Philip, more importantly, good to hear that you're enjoying the car.

I spent several hours in the TCR yesterday having not driven it in weeks and the weather was awful - I was up and down the A14, M1 and M11. Really awful driving conditions and road surfaces. TCR didn't miss a beat and what struck me was just how effortlessly quick and stable it was. Feels quicker to 60 than it suggests on paper. Struggled for traction on a particularly worn section of tarmac which was glossy and slick but I buried my foot in the interests of science to see how it would deal with the surface and TCS kicked in and modulated my ham fisted stamp on the accelerator very quickly.

The Pirellis seem a good pairing with the TCR on Reifnitz which I assume is what you have? I was initially a bit annoyed that they hadn't supplied on Michelin as my preference but from my other cars which are on CS2s, wear is quicker and more sensitive to poor geometry. In lower temperatures or with lots of surface water, you have to be mindful that you can aquaplane a lot more easily and I had real confidence in the Pirellis yesterday.

Suspension is quite interesting - I think I remarked on this before in that all modes on the TCR are usable. I can only use Comfort on the CSS and maybe it's perceptual as well as the CSS is stripped of a lot of sound deadening so you get more feedback in the cabin. The sounds of loose stone in the wheel arches is still something that makes me deeply uncomfortable! Not sure if you've setup an individual profile but sounds like your roads are like what I have in Suffolk. I've found that if I want a blend of pliancy and performance/feel, turning everything but suspension to race and putting suspension to comfort works a treat. It's the same tactic that the CSS with the 'ring lap time took - they made a big thing about the 'hidden mode' but all they did was just softened the dampers and kept everything else to race. What's interesting is that under those settings and driven sensibly, I can beat Eco mode for economy.
« Last Edit: 17 August 2019, 06:06 by AGB »

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #907 on: 17 August 2019, 06:19 »

Maybe the lamps are tinted anyway and i just did not notice it, so maybe AGB can confirm, but its another nice complement to the pure grey and matches the tinted rear LED.

You just had me walking backwards and forwards between the two cars looking for differences. Probably one of the stranger things I've done with a Saturday morning.  :grin:

Mine don't look smoked. You can see the tint in the tail lights but not sure I would want it on the front. Aesthetically, I think having it clear keeps the brightwork consistent on the front end - it ties in better with the chrome badge. Subjective personal opinion on aesthetics.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #908 on: 17 August 2019, 06:35 »
Work in IT and thankfully GDPR is not the all consuming pain in the .... it was, but does occasionally darken my day still :)

Based on your comment had a closer look at some of the better HD images of the Caps and they do seem to match the Reifnitz quite closely so definitely waiting to see how feel about them after living with car for a while.

Driving a MK 7 its pre-WLTP and pre-7 speed DSG, and though very used to the MK 7 DSG having been 6 years in one nearly, not sure how much an affect the increased gearing makes - As its my daily capable and comfortable are a need, which is why stuck with the Golf, and sometimes have to mix in with the commute traffic I am quite appreciative of the DSG and doubt that changes, though when I am 'driving' I always flick the lever over and make my paddle changes as gears have never been quite right in auto, the RACE setting in the R is too long in gear for me and always make the change up earlier than gearbox would (likely as I am not on the track and there is other things on road dictating affairs)

Hardly call my R raucous in noise even pre-WLTP, but it has developed over the miles a nice deep sound that have come to appreciate - think the TCR has no soundaktor which would be nice, though presently have mine set to ECO and so basically off.

Though there is obvious differences its going to be interesting to compare to the R and even though not really clamored for the Akrapovich am interested just how it will sound - Still think its an option never select but never heard one up close so maybe I will be eating my words.

Just starting to look at receiving the TCR, MOT on present just booked for end of September and then it can be anytime from early to mid October to receive.

I work in tech too although VC side and thank Zuckerberg daily for his ethical approach to data as I do extremists every time I have to go through airport security! :grin:

I posted up some comments about driving it in day to day from yesterday. Really liveable car as a daily and I think as a budget no object exercise, it would be my choice of anything in the market. I like my CSS but can't deny that the TCR beats it for the dull aspects of the commute when you're in crawling traffic or dealing with variable speed limits.

The one thing I hate about the digital display is the fuel gauge. I do not find it sufficiently clear to read and thought they would have made a better job of that given the blank canvas they have to work with on a display. I can't believe that I'm alone but I've never seen a journalist mention this once. You also lose the usability feature with the arrow indicating the side that the fuel cap is on. Times are a changing as they say.

Offline Philip

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #909 on: 17 August 2019, 08:51 »
And I’ll make it three for three working in technology (GEA).  Guess the odds of that are significantly reduced by it being a GTI forum but still feels a low probability of the combination of car choice with profession.

Share your sentiments around FB, airport security and the location and readability of the fuel / temperature gauges.  I’d prefer it if they could sit in the centre of the speedometer / rev counter.
TCR 3 door