Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245715 times)

Offline AGB

• I live here
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #890 on: 14 August 2019, 16:08 »

Surely yours must be getting increased look overs? especially from those who know their cars?

The TCR that did actually see close up were in Black and White but neither really gave me a feel for the caps being right on the Pure Grey.

The white was on Pretoria and I would 100% change them on that to the Gloss to match the wheel though think the gentleman with the Oryx White TCR got it right by colour matching the caps

The DBP was on Reifnitz so any chance of getting a feeling for the caps was quite lost. Black is not a great colour for the TCR.

You stated quite clearly prior that the fitted caps would go for the gloss caps, so if thats your thinking now from actual ownership then I would be wise to listen and just hold fire, receive and live with for a while and see if thinking aligns to yours or if its still a niggle to address - But thanks for thoughts as likely would have had replacements sitting here in a box ready to go.

Done nearly 1500 miles in the R in last month as toured some beauty areas which have paid much more attention to the drive knowing the TCR is close and should be able to give a pretty good R vs TCR comparison once put the obligatory 1000 miles on the TCR

The TCR has had a fair amount of attention but never with me driving it. I either don't notice or look unapproachable!

Take my advice and get it and then decide, I was as resolute as you were and then got it and didn't mind it as much as I thought. I think you need to see it against the Pure Grey paintwork, looking at it in isolation on any other coloured car will not give the same effect.

Now that the car has settled in, I think that it's far too quiet for my taste. It's the same problem with the new GT4, it sounds muted by comparison and it's due to WLTP. I nearly typed GDPR! Too many 4 letter acronyms controlling our lives. I am interested to see how the performance exhaust works to address this.

I have not driven the car that much in the last six weeks but it remains very capable and comfortable. If I had my way, I would have put a manual gearbox in it, I'm not overly enthused about the DSG when I have driven it in anger but it's the usual complaint we all have for it hunting for higher gears and how manual mode works. I think power is well judged to the chassis, the 7.5 Performance feels slow compared to TCR and CSS. I had a loaner the other day for a couple of hours as a firmware update was done to the CSS.

When is yours due?
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #891 on: 14 August 2019, 19:02 »

Surely yours must be getting increased look overs? especially from those who know their cars?

The TCR that did actually see close up were in Black and White but neither really gave me a feel for the caps being right on the Pure Grey.

The white was on Pretoria and I would 100% change them on that to the Gloss to match the wheel though think the gentleman with the Oryx White TCR got it right by colour matching the caps

The DBP was on Reifnitz so any chance of getting a feeling for the caps was quite lost. Black is not a great colour for the TCR.

You stated quite clearly prior that the fitted caps would go for the gloss caps, so if thats your thinking now from actual ownership then I would be wise to listen and just hold fire, receive and live with for a while and see if thinking aligns to yours or if its still a niggle to address - But thanks for thoughts as likely would have had replacements sitting here in a box ready to go.

Done nearly 1500 miles in the R in last month as toured some beauty areas which have paid much more attention to the drive knowing the TCR is close and should be able to give a pretty good R vs TCR comparison once put the obligatory 1000 miles on the TCR

The TCR has had a fair amount of attention but never with me driving it. I either don't notice or look unapproachable!

Take my advice and get it and then decide, I was as resolute as you were and then got it and didn't mind it as much as I thought. I think you need to see it against the Pure Grey paintwork, looking at it in isolation on any other coloured car will not give the same effect.

Now that the car has settled in, I think that it's far too quiet for my taste. It's the same problem with the new GT4, it sounds muted by comparison and it's due to WLTP. I nearly typed GDPR! Too many 4 letter acronyms controlling our lives. I am interested to see how the performance exhaust works to address this.

I have not driven the car that much in the last six weeks but it remains very capable and comfortable. If I had my way, I would have put a manual gearbox in it, I'm not overly enthused about the DSG when I have driven it in anger but it's the usual complaint we all have for it hunting for higher gears and how manual mode works. I think power is well judged to the chassis, the 7.5 Performance feels slow compared to TCR and CSS. I had a loaner the other day for a couple of hours as a firmware update was done to the CSS.

When is yours due?

Work in IT and thankfully GDPR is not the all consuming pain in the .... it was, but does occasionally darken my day still :)

Based on your comment had a closer look at some of the better HD images of the Caps and they do seem to match the Reifnitz quite closely so definitely waiting to see how feel about them after living with car for a while.

Driving a MK 7 its pre-WLTP and pre-7 speed DSG, and though very used to the MK 7 DSG having been 6 years in one nearly, not sure how much an affect the increased gearing makes - As its my daily capable and comfortable are a need, which is why stuck with the Golf, and sometimes have to mix in with the commute traffic I am quite appreciative of the DSG and doubt that changes, though when I am 'driving' I always flick the lever over and make my paddle changes as gears have never been quite right in auto, the RACE setting in the R is too long in gear for me and always make the change up earlier than gearbox would (likely as I am not on the track and there is other things on road dictating affairs)

Hardly call my R raucous in noise even pre-WLTP, but it has developed over the miles a nice deep sound that have come to appreciate - think the TCR has no soundaktor which would be nice, though presently have mine set to ECO and so basically off.

Though there is obvious differences its going to be interesting to compare to the R and even though not really clamored for the Akrapovich am interested just how it will sound - Still think its an option never select but never heard one up close so maybe I will be eating my words.

Just starting to look at receiving the TCR, MOT on present just booked for end of September and then it can be anytime from early to mid October to receive.

Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #892 on: 15 August 2019, 10:16 »
VW UK Website have finally caught up with their changes and the price list updated and the TCR is now the most expensive Golf (£2350 increase) and no more will be sold  :grin: due to AWD of the R and £1500 saved making the R the better choice over an exhaust (for me anyway)

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/app/configurator/vw-gb/en/golf/30316?page=trim

No mention if the KESSY fobs have the new motion technology (imagine that saved for the MK 8 as another selling point, which is of course wrong but sales always wins)

The only other difference spotted is that the LED headlights now incorporate smoked lenses to match the rear LED lights (this maybe how the TCR came anyway, just its first I noticed)

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/app/configurator/vw-gb/en/golf/30316/39627/gti-tcr/BQ19MZ-MKSUKA1-GPF3PF3-GPNDPND-GPRDPRD-GPXCPXC-GP23P23-GWD1WD1-GWW1WW1-GW8PW8P-GYOZYOZ-MTKV4F2-MCDR7RE-MAUD9WX/2020/0/F14%20J2J2/F56%20%20%20%20%2053/GPIDPID-MSSHVW0-MWSS4GW?page=summary

« Last Edit: 15 August 2019, 11:54 by Hertsman »
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #893 on: 15 August 2019, 11:11 »

VagSport res delete might solve this?
« Last Edit: 15 August 2019, 11:13 by Jim_mk7.5 »
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #894 on: 15 August 2019, 14:59 »

Yup, only way your gonna get more noise without whole new exhaust is with a res delete. The Golf R has the GPF aswell, but no res from factory. After a few miles bedding in they are 'DSG farting' and nice and loud. Its cheap and wont invalid warranty on anything major, just the exhaust system.
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #895 on: 15 August 2019, 16:08 »

Yup, only way your gonna get more noise without whole new exhaust is with a res delete. The Golf R has the GPF aswell, but no res from factory. After a few miles bedding in they are 'DSG farting' and nice and loud. Its cheap and wont invalid warranty on anything major, just the exhaust system.

Yeah, YT videos showing the TCR doing acceleration runs indicate there is some upshift noise which the 245 P definitely doesn't have at all. Res delete has added some nice extra noise though  :smiley:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline graham9883

• Not said much yet
« Reply #896 on: 15 August 2019, 16:39 »
I have tried a few things to get better sound on the tcr, 1st of I had a res delete but there was only a little bit extra noise and not too much different from standard
I then added a back box delete aswell but that was too loud
I tried to add a silencer into the centre to make it a little bit quieter but it seemed to make it go back to pretty much standard noise.
so I have now put it all back to standard and kept the back box delete , I will keep this until remus or scorpion make something,  I have also emailed vw asking if can get the new r titanium system added but not sure it will be worth the money.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #897 on: 15 August 2019, 16:53 »
VW UK Website have finally caught up with their changes and the price list updated and the TCR is now the most expensive Golf (£2350 increase) and no more will be sold  :grin: due to AWD of the R and £1500 saved making the R the better choice over an exhaust (for me anyway)

No mention if the KESSY fobs have the new motion technology (imagine that saved for the MK 8 as another selling point, which is of course wrong but sales always wins)

The only other difference spotted is that the LED headlights now incorporate smoked lenses to match the rear LED lights (this maybe how the TCR came anyway, just its first I noticed)

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/app/configurator/vw-gb/en/golf/30316/39627/gti-tcr/BQ19MZ-MKSUKA1-GPF3PF3-GPNDPND-GPRDPRD-GPXCPXC-GP23P23-GWD1WD1-GWW1WW1-GW8PW8P-GYOZYOZ-MTKV4F2-MCDR7RE-MAUD9WX/2020/0/F14%20J2J2/F56%20%20%20%20%2053/GPIDPID-MSSHVW0-MWSS4GW?page=summary

I meant to add in this thread a few days ago but didn’t get chance, I spoke recently to our own evo1986 and he told me that ordering for MY20 cars was going live on 15th August. So VW UK are actually dead on track with the online prices there.

Lee (a site sponsor) is well worth a shout for those looking at a TCR deal or any other VW, he has great knowledge and excellent contacts and he’s helped me find deals on cars in the past avoiding waiting lists and price rises. He’s a solid no nonsense guy and has the full backing of a huge dealer network.
With potentially three months plus wait time on a factory order giving evo1986 a shout can ‘make things happen’ unlike many brokers, or even if you end up with a wait his prices will be competitive.

First mention I’ve seen of tinted headlamps, reminds me of the mk6 R!
Having seen a few Polo GTIs in the flesh some of those have appeared to have tinted headlamp lenses, maybe they actually do then(?)
« Last Edit: 15 August 2019, 16:56 by Exonian »
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #898 on: 15 August 2019, 17:16 »

I meant to add in this thread a few days ago but didn’t get chance, I spoke recently to our own evo1986 and he told me that ordering for MY20 cars was going live on 15th August. So VW UK are actually dead on track with the online prices there.

Lee (a site sponsor) is well worth a shout for those looking at a TCR deal or any other VW, he has great knowledge and excellent contacts and he’s helped me find deals on cars in the past avoiding waiting lists and price rises. He’s a solid no nonsense guy and has the full backing of a huge dealer network.
With potentially three months plus wait time on a factory order giving evo1986 a shout can ‘make things happen’ unlike many brokers, or even if you end up with a wait his prices will be competitive.

First mention I’ve seen of tinted headlamps, reminds me of the mk6 R!
Having seen a few Polo GTIs in the flesh some of those have appeared to have tinted headlamp lenses, maybe they actually do then(?)

The dates also correlate with the build date I was given of week 33 (Aug. 12,> Aug. 18, 2019) and I take back what said about VW UK being slow out of the blocks, and think it was because we all knew so early it skewed the expectation

Maybe the lamps are tinted anyway and i just did not notice it, so maybe AGB can confirm, but its another nice complement to the pure grey and matches the tinted rear LED.

Saw a stunningly kept 6 R at weekend, it definitely stole the shine off mine was parked close to it as it stood out in showroom condition.

Offline Philip

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #899 on: 16 August 2019, 12:51 »
A few thoughts around the TCR experience after 1400 miles of mixed driving, and with a slightly different perspective to the excellent write ups from AGB as it’s my daily.

The seven speed DSG is a revelation in comparison to the six speed in my PP.  S mode engaged on the stick especially so as it no longer holds the revs to silly numbers regardless of throttle position and is now far more useful in day to day driving – sharpens everything up but when you maintain the throttle position it will change up as far as seventh.  Whether that’s the later DSG or the mapping for the TCR I know not but it does make such a difference to the driving experience.  Normal mode is fine for the commute and although it will try to get up the gears as quickly as it can there’s so much pull from low revs it really doesn’t mar the experience.

Suspension is firmer than the PP in normal mode, but pleasantly so and never jarring or uncomfortable even over the cart tracks that pass for roads in our locale.  Daft as it sounds, it seems to handle the craters better than the PP even though that was on 18”’s and also had DCC.  Once on the dual carriageway and cruising normal is excellent and comfort if anything introduces a little too much compliance and bounce.  I’ve only tried settings in sport for 20 miles or so (that Eleveden bypass again, and the next few miles of roundabouts and sweeping dual) and it makes the car properly responsive and nailed down – more suited to track use I imagine but it corners on rails and the VAQ seems even more effective with the TCR set up.

It’s a quick car, very quick indeed when given all the beans, and puts the power down incredibly well.  It is possible to induce some slight tramping if leaving the lights with a lead foot approach but otherwise the traction is superb, the P Zeros not even squeaking under hard acceleration off the line and once on the move the power just keeps on coming and to far higher revs than the PP.  There is a pleasing burble from the exhaust, and a small crack on full throttle changing up although not as obvious as the PP, plus some subdued crackles and pops on overrun from high revs, but as others have said the TCR is far too quiet I’m beginning to wonder if mine has already blown a baffle or three somewhere as it does sound far more sporty than the PP did even after 30k miles.

Overall I’m enjoying it more every day, and it is the consummate all-rounder – everything I need and nothing I don’t.  Those of you waiting on delivery will not be disappointed.
TCR 3 door