Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245723 times)

Offline atlasgrey

• Not said much yet
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #820 on: 07 July 2019, 10:28 »
https://www.flickr.com/photos/182462456@N07/48204439507/in/dateposted-public/

Here my tcr had it a few weeks now. Love it so far.

Looks good in white with those wheels!
Corrado VR6, Mk2 Gti 8v, Up Gti (sold), Mk7.5 Gti TCR

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #821 on: 08 July 2019, 12:36 »

Saw a white TCR at Milton Keynes and really did not like it as it had black roof, sunroof and 90% tints plus the black wheels and the balance of contrast was more 50-50 opposed to maybe 70-30, 80-20 %

Think you have got the TCR in white looking at its best, think the wheels are better than the standard options, give a real presence, but with a better blend and the car remains predominately white with just the trim contrasts enhancing. So good job!!

How you finding the drive? what came from as comparison?
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #822 on: 09 July 2019, 00:15 »

Agree with that, like it in white. First owner car I think I've seen in white.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline graham9883

• Not said much yet
« Reply #823 on: 09 July 2019, 10:59 »
Yeah im really happy with it. I come from a 1.4 r-line.
So far ive changed wheels. Lowered. Dog bone insert.  Res delete. Pikey r600 airbox mod. 
I was thinking  of doing the roof black but not sure yet.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #824 on: 10 July 2019, 14:50 »

I was thinking  of doing the roof black but not sure yet.

I was always a bit anti black roof until I got my Clubsport.
If ultra conservative VW spec black roofs then I guess they must be socially acceptable now!
I still feel a bit of a t!t getting out of a Golf with side decals and a black roof at times being the wrong side of 50 never mind 40 so I can see why older buyers like the ultra restrained look of the R, but to hell with it, black roofs look quite good on certain Golfs in certain colours.
The little spoiler lip on the TCR serves as a natural end point for a black roof decal.
Go for it, you can always take it off again if you hate it and it’ll stop bird crap etching roof paint.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #825 on: 30 July 2019, 09:14 »
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-clarkson-review-vw-golf-gti-tcr-versus-mercedes-amg-a-35-hcmpm2f75

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/jeremy-clarkson-hot-hatch-better-mercedes-amg-a35-volkswagen-golf-gti-tcr/

Clarkson makes it a draw with TCR vs the A35 AMG which I would take given the A35 has more horses and AWD - He is very much a GTI fan as it was his daily for a long time and good to read he not disappointed in the run out model and appreciates it as a genuine lift
« Last Edit: 30 July 2019, 09:19 by Hertsman »
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #826 on: 30 July 2019, 11:48 »
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-clarkson-review-vw-golf-gti-tcr-versus-mercedes-amg-a-35-hcmpm2f75

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/jeremy-clarkson-hot-hatch-better-mercedes-amg-a35-volkswagen-golf-gti-tcr/

Clarkson makes it a draw with TCR vs the A35 AMG which I would take given the A35 has more horses and AWD - He is very much a GTI fan as it was his daily for a long time and good to read he not disappointed in the run out model and appreciates it as a genuine lift

I know you considered an A35 but for me, these just aren't 2 cars you'd compare or consider against each other. A35 against the R, yes. But the TCR is aimed at the hot hatch enthusiast so more Megane RS, Civic Type R or Cupra R. (of which realistically most existing VW drivers wouldn't probably even consider 2 of those options).
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #827 on: 30 July 2019, 12:56 »

I know you considered an A35 but for me, these just aren't 2 cars you'd compare or consider against each other. A35 against the R, yes. But the TCR is aimed at the hot hatch enthusiast so more Megane RS, Civic Type R or Cupra R. (of which realistically most existing VW drivers wouldn't probably even consider 2 of those options).

When I looked at the A35 AMG it was as a direct R replacement and the reason looked was to see if the cabin tech would sway me as expected the cars to be very similar head to head in driving abilities - Initially the tech did wow me, went back a few times to check the car over in the flesh but eventually the overall cost to get car wanted and some calming down on the tech swayed me to stay with the R - Reason went for the GTI - TCR was because it retained the R pace but would give me a different driving experience and that leads to why this is a strange comparison to make as any AWD vs FWD/RWD is as the AWD adds the weight and obviously makes any getaway seamless.

Still, there is positive comment to overall livability and Clarkson still comes over as a GTI convert with his sublime narrative.

Still a little wait till mine, from what understand the build starts in about 2 weeks for a mid -sept delivery to UK, though I will then have to wait till October till lease runs down - Loving my R though, put over a 1000 miles on it on last 2 weeks, really pleasurable motoring through the best the country gives us in beauty (Jurassic coast and on into Cotswolds)

Not many UK reviews about and none at all mentioning the much talked about MY20 and the Akrapovich addition and VW UK site still at old pricing.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #828 on: 30 July 2019, 13:59 »
Clarkson being a feature/columnist writer would get offered whatever models are being promoted and doing the press promo rounds. It must be a quiet time of year.

I guess the point of the comparison is the fact as standard the A35 looks like a base model Diesel and the Golf R doesn’t exactly grab ones attention visually unless you’re a Golf enthusiast.

So a comparison of a winged A35 loaded with extras and a TCR also with optional packages isn’t an unlikely one from a prospective buyers perspective and they’re head to head in BHP & ££££. Maybe it’s assumed that as the R and GTI have been around a good while owners are looking for something newer and very slightly different, but not too different.
4WD isn’t everything and can still bog down on launch if not in full traffic light race mode. The VAQ diff claws a lot of traction back.
This is quite a good head to head from the point of view of a buyer that doesn’t want Uber stealth looks but still wants a classy German hatch that packs a punch. A slightly less Q car than an R or standard A35.

Goes to show once again that after six or seven years the MQB Golfs still cut the mustard against much newer opposition and that now it’s seemingly likely the next gen GTI/R *won’t* have that extra 48v electric thrust now that unless you’re a touchscreen junkie the game hasn’t really moved on.
« Last Edit: 30 July 2019, 14:03 by Exonian »
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #829 on: 30 July 2019, 14:26 »
Clarkson being a feature/columnist writer would get offered whatever models are being promoted and doing the press promo rounds. It must be a quiet time of year.

I guess the point of the comparison is the fact as standard the A35 looks like a base model Diesel and the Golf R doesn’t exactly grab ones attention visually unless you’re a Golf enthusiast.

So a comparison of a winged A35 loaded with extras and a TCR also with optional packages isn’t an unlikely one from a prospective buyers perspective and they’re head to head in BHP & ££££. Maybe it’s assumed that as the R and GTI have been around a good while owners are looking for something newer and very slightly different, but not too different.
4WD isn’t everything and can still bog down on launch if not in full traffic light race mode. The VAQ diff claws a lot of traction back.
This is quite a good head to head from the point of view of a buyer that doesn’t want Uber stealth looks but still wants a classy German hatch that packs a punch. A slightly less Q car than an R or standard A35.

Goes to show once again that after six or seven years the MQB Golfs still cut the mustard against much newer opposition and that now it’s seemingly likely the next gen GTI/R *won’t* have that extra 48v electric thrust now that unless you’re a touchscreen junkie the game hasn’t really moved on.

Yep, get all you say, and as packages with their own little variances he could not split them which is more a win for the GTI than the new on the road AMG - I liked the A35 AMG could see myself in one, it was down to the fine differences in the end where on other cars you dismiss readily and early.

Feel VW have missed a trick on not going straight into 48 v with the MK 8 as that is revolution and sure they could have told a good story to the performance benefits in terms of the GTI and R.

Be really interesting to see if putting all eggs into the basket of sweeping interior tech and more semi and autonomous driving excites folk as they are hoping? though maybe my malaise is because I am in the IT industry that its just another set of screens, operating systems and graphics to look at.

Maybe they think the underlying car is so good they can get away with dumping the 48 v for now and saving it for a later wow moment, or maybe it just did not work as well as hoped? (though doubt that is case)

The 48 v addition interests me, but the MK 8 is seemingly more and more a MK 7.75 and if purchasing soon I would have my money on hold for the MK 8 release and waiting to secure a MK 7.5 at a forecourt clearing discount.