Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245746 times)

Offline AGB

• I live here
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #710 on: 06 June 2019, 06:47 »
Agreed, it was a good read and all information is great whilst passing the time waiting for delivery!

I am new to VW and was wondering what the actual differences are between the TCR and Clubsport S.  I know its got the back seats removed and has more bhp (maybe down to emissions than anything else).  But beyond this what are the technical differences?  Not expecting to have purchases a CS, but be interested to know :)

I’d suggest looking out the EVO review that Dan Prosser did on the CSS, it’s online and free. It sums up my view of the car word for word. Comparison to the TCR too early for me to comment on as I am still running in but it’s DSG versus manual and not a stripped out special edition.

Might be of interest to know how and why I came to own a CSS because I think a lot of people buy the GTI as a practical driver’s car and the CSS does and doesn’t tick that box.

I bought a Porsche Macan GTS last year as a daily driver. Spec’d it from factory and added all the driver focused options. It sounded fabulous but felt big and cumbersome but for an SUV, handled in a physics defying way. It also had a thirst and carrying around all that mass was returning 20MPG. After 3,500 miles and about 4 months, I got rid of it and it cemented my view that it was a Porsche in badge alone. I will never go near a SUV again.

My wife told me to get something sensible like a Golf. So I bought a Clubsport S. It’s a Golf right?

I joke but the CSS is not impractical and the TCR even more so with back seats and a working boot. We don’t have children and the dog rides in a basket in the boot if I want to take him out in the CSS. The space in the boot being entirely stripped out makes for an excellent dog bed holder and I bought one which fits where the space saver goes on a regular car. I am in two minds about asking someone in our village who does sewing and upholstery to strip the dog bed and cover it in Clark Plaid (GTI tartan pattern) for a bit of fun.

The thing that stands out about the CSS is the chassis and handling. It’s every bit as brilliant as every noted car journalist has ever said and I would pick it over just about any other car for a B road blast. The chassis engineer drafted in on the CSS project did the Porsche 911 997 GT3 RS and the 4.0 is seen as one of the best driver’s cars Porsche or any manufacturer have ever built.

The CSS is hugely composed over rough road aka most of Britain’s road network but it turns in so well and feels much much quicker than acceleration figures on paper suggest. Modern cars are bloated and feel big but the CSS is neutral and feels like a go kart crossed with a Jack Russell. Eager, quick and darts about. The exhaust is also very entertaining and a welcome antidote to sound actuators that so many modern cars have to make them sound sportier.

I have friends who are also petrol heads and they have some very special cars by any measure and a couple have a CSS in their collections. They agree with my view in that they’re keepers and are utterly brilliant drives.

« Last Edit: 06 June 2019, 06:54 by AGB »
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #711 on: 06 June 2019, 07:48 »
Loving your reflections, AGB.  Giving me a window into stuff I can't afford and making me even more satisfied with what I can - ie. my GTI.  :smiley:
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #712 on: 06 June 2019, 08:46 »
Given the recommendation this was my breakfast read https://www.evo.co.uk/volkswagen/golf-gti-clubsport/17816/volkswagen-golf-gti-clubsport-s-review-updated-with-uk-driving

Couple of questions AGB that cannot find answers for anywhere on your TCR

1. Is there a Sound Aktuator? Not a fan myself and have it deselected in my R but did read in one article there is no sound aktuator in the TCR and the tuned stainless exhaust is the only noise provider?
2. From experience of my R and as is mentioned in varying articles there is a little travel on the pedal before accelerate, and many fit pedal boxes, others like me, just adjust to it - So is there the same behaviour on TCR? or was it something that was not an issue on the CSS? 

Do understand there is some running in miles to be completed before can really give a full experience review but we all look forward to.

Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #713 on: 06 June 2019, 10:16 »
Loving your reflections, AGB.  Giving me a window into stuff I can't afford and making me even more satisfied with what I can - ie. my GTI.  :smiley:

Nothing wrong with a GTI!  :cool: Thanks for the kind comment.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #714 on: 06 June 2019, 10:32 »
Given the recommendation this was my breakfast read https://www.evo.co.uk/volkswagen/golf-gti-clubsport/17816/volkswagen-golf-gti-clubsport-s-review-updated-with-uk-driving

1. Is there a Sound Aktuator? Not a fan myself and have it deselected in my R but did read in one article there is no sound aktuator in the TCR and the tuned stainless exhaust is the only noise provider?
2. From experience of my R and as is mentioned in varying articles there is a little travel on the pedal before accelerate, and many fit pedal boxes, others like me, just adjust to it - So is there the same behaviour on TCR? or was it something that was not an issue on the CSS? 

Do understand there is some running in miles to be completed before can really give a full experience review but we all look forward to.

Sorry Hertsman, I missed your message due to the way the thread paginated. I replied as you posted and I saw it after and started replying and then managed to lose my response on send. The joy of replying on a  iPhone!

I don’t believe there is an actuator, certainly not where I can see it but not looked properly. The exhaust feels connected to my inputs. It’s not as raucous as the CSS if I could call the CSS that but it does have a good sound but is a little muted and thin at the moment. Was disappointed that they didn’t keep the concept exhaust shown in Worthersee. I will get more of a feel for the exhaust sound once it has bedded in and when I lose revs coming down from higher in the rev range. The CSS coming down from 5-6k into 3-4k sounds like a rally car. I rather like the fact that it’s a sleeper in that regard. Nobody would think s Golf would make those sounds!

I need to drive the TCR again, nothing immediately obvious with pedal travel - what stood out was the brakes and how the SA is quite exaggerated. But that’s an initial impression after a short drive in a new car so might settle. Will feedback this weekend when I am home.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #715 on: 06 June 2019, 10:52 »

Sorry Hertsman, I missed your message due to the way the thread paginated. I replied as you posted and I saw it after and started replying and then managed to lose my response on send. The joy of replying on a  iPhone!

I don’t believe there is an actuator, certainly not where I can see it but not looked properly. The exhaust feels connected to my inputs. It’s not as raucous as the CSS if I could call the CSS that but it does have a good sound but is a little muted and thin at the moment. Was disappointed that they didn’t keep the concept exhaust shown in Worthersee. I will get more of a feel for the exhaust sound once it has bedded in and when I lose revs coming down from higher in the rev range. The CSS coming down from 5-6k into 3-4k sounds like a rally car. I rather like the fact that it’s a sleeper in that regard. Nobody would think s Golf would make those sounds!

I need to drive the TCR again, nothing immediately obvious with pedal travel - what stood out was the brakes and how the SA is quite exaggerated. But that’s an initial impression after a short drive in a new car so might settle. Will feedback this weekend when I am home.

Thanks for response,

I have often missed message, and messed up a reply here, but think we all been here long enough to understand its easily done

The actuator in the R is quite noticeable as fakery as it resonates in the cabin below the window, and think you would notice it so its maybe that the CSS and now the TCR were not seen as needing that help.

Have my actuator set to ECO in the individual so its either off or ultra low to point I cannot hear it (might be another way of you checking if the TCR has it)

The exhaust note on the R completely changed as the miles were run up, and though not raucous it has a nice deep tone and noticeable overrun, so likely its too early to tell your TCR true note.

Have no idea to the engineering that underpins how an exhaust would sound but my thinking has always been that the CSS would be the most optimised of the range and that if TCR comes even marginally closer I would be happy.

Not seen the slight pedal travel needed on the R to get moving ever mentioned for the CSS or the TCR so maybe its been mapped out and power delivery is instant? The article you referenced has this comment "sharp throttle response, immense torque curve and vibrant top end." so maybe that supports it as not an issue.

Its one of my annoyances on the R that have learn to offset, but be nice to have removed and that power comes moment move the pedal.
« Last Edit: 06 June 2019, 10:55 by Hertsman »
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #716 on: 07 June 2019, 02:09 »
......Its one of my annoyances on the R that have learn to offset, but be nice to have removed and that power comes moment move the pedal.

Cough (peddle box) cough.   :wink:
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #717 on: 07 June 2019, 06:47 »
Not sure if anyone saw the latest EVO? Comparison of a TCR to a Megane Trophy. After praising the TCR throughout and drawing parallels to the CSS, the journo then goes on to say they’d have the Trophy every time! Everything he wrote about the Trophy confirms why I would never look at a Renault so slightly odd outcome I thought.

Also notice a 5 door TCR with 1k miles for sale at £32,995 on PH.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #718 on: 07 June 2019, 09:43 »
Not sure if anyone saw the latest EVO? Comparison of a TCR to a Megane Trophy. After praising the TCR throughout and drawing parallels to the CSS, the journo then goes on to say they’d have the Trophy every time! Everything he wrote about the Trophy confirms why I would never look at a Renault so slightly odd outcome I thought.

Evo take their “ thrill of driving” theme to the extreme- they only ever consider the dynamic qualities of a car ( and usually on a smooth track) in judging how good a car is.
A car designed primarily for everyday road use is never going to be their winner in these head to heads.
I read evo for entertainment rather than information.
That said, I think i’ll go out and get a copy!! Thanks for the heads up.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #719 on: 07 June 2019, 10:39 »

I read that and they said on points the TCR is better but they'd take the Megane. Of which the only people who would do that are the people who aren't paying for it themselves!

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey