Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245742 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #700 on: 01 June 2019, 13:45 »
Great write up and photos AGB, it’s rrally good to read your initial thoughts.
 Save “scientific endeavour” for pub talk nerds and car journos, what’s really important are seat of the pants opinions from real owners who aren’t wearing rose tinted specs. You’ve summed it up really nicely there and just what everyone was hoping to see.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline atlasgrey

• Not said much yet
« Reply #701 on: 01 June 2019, 14:00 »

We got there relatively early at 10.30 and as can see got the R parked out front, though main reason for trip was to have a day in Stratford and this was a convenient breakfast stop - We had breakfast as sat up on one of the benches and watched all the varying cars roll in - By time we left about 11.45 it was getting quite busy and the overflow (or 1st car park away from main area) was about 50% filled

Imagine it does get pretty busy through rest of the day and maybe more so Sunday, but its all like minded and so the vibe is good and if you get a good variety of drive ups, there is lots of pride and joys to look at and chat on - Despite the supercars there my favourite was a mint condition Nissan 350z that had stage one mods under the hood.

Nice variation from the new, modded and the classic, with lovely Tiger Ford and immaculate 1960's Alfa Romeo leading the way in the classic

The do not be dicks was something that was just said in general but was picked up as saying and so they branded it to themselves and basically means do not drink and drive or basically be an idiot

We like a good pub garden or a coffee, and to them that around cars and bikes (plenty of them on show also) creates a nice vibe and though we might pick our day and timing, we will be back and maybe when a few of us have our TCR not a bad place to gather with some clubsports (of course you can bring both :))

Mine was the only MK 7 on show, so the R was flying the flag and though understated compared to some held its own

The GT4 would sit well in the company and get some attention expect

My only comment to the guys and girls at Caffeine and Machine is to keep the formula simple and not be tempted to get carried away with selves as popularity spikes as thats usually the time you alienate the core clients.

I gather they had a bit of a problem with burn outs, neighbour noise complaints and so on hence the visible effort with 'don't be a dick'. I was surprised by how busy they were at 2pm on a Wednesday afternoon. I really enjoyed my burger and coffee, I was expecting the food to be mediocre pub grub but it was considerably better than that.

It's not worth a 260 mile round trip for me though...

I’ve got the opposite problem, I’m only 5 miles away from it so have to find a longer ‘drive’ to warm the car up. I haven’t been since March, looks way busier now the good weather is here. I do like the burgers too, will probably take the Mk2 over one evening during the week before I get the TCR.
Corrado VR6, Mk2 Gti 8v, Up Gti (sold), Mk7.5 Gti TCR

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #702 on: 01 June 2019, 14:09 »
 Save “scientific endeavour” for pub talk nerds and car journos, what’s really important are seat of the pants opinions from real owners who aren’t wearing rose tinted specs. You’ve summed it up really nicely there and just what everyone was hoping to see.

+1 to that :smiley: In fact it was so good it almost had me get my cheque book out and trust me, that is rare :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #703 on: 03 June 2019, 09:33 »

Got the car back from my detailer today and it looks superb. I've taken a few photographs on the iPhone but will take some proper photographs when I take the cars out on a longer drive. Someone messaged me for a photograph of the back seats hence the slightly random inclusion.  :shocked:

The CSS has been in and out of London this week and with the good weather, the front end is splattered with 180 miles of suicidal insects and is rather dirty so it's not quite fair to photograph it next to the freshly detailed TCR so don't judge me for that!

Having driven the two cars back to back and on a 15 mile stretch of my own 'EVO triangle', I'm really pleased with handling and performance. It has a lot in common with the CSS and I drove it as I would the CSS. It's every bit as confidence inspiring. I didn't undertake a comparison with any amount of scientific endeavour, simply ran it in race mode with the DSG set to manual on a route I use as a benchmark. I figured that if I didn't get on with the most aggressive configuration, I would dial it back or make adjustments to individual settings. The route has a combination of fast, open sections, lots of technical corners, adverse camber, some hairpins, a switch back and some rough, pitted surfacing. It's an excellent test of a car's dynamics.

I was reminded of my complaint with (most) road cars equipped with paddles and that's the fact that they're not fixed to the steering column and on a couple of stretches where I know the exact gears I wanted, I found myself scrabbling around the wheel (exiting corners) for the shifter and the car was slightly unsettled as a result. It was actually easier to use the gearstick. Don't start me on +/- direction of shift! The DSG is much the same as on the 7.5PP/R and not having driven them recently, am going on memory. Perhaps there are nuances in the mapping which more seat time will reveal. The DSG box was keen to push me into a higher gear. In fairness, I was watching my revs given the car has done less than 30 miles but there were a couple of stretches where I drove 'normally'. I think I need to get used to driving a semi-automatic box again. It's not as good as Porsche's PDK-S where I actually trust the car to select the right gears.

I think the damping on the car is superb and I only ran in race mode which is intolerable in the CSS. I'm used to firm cars and I am probably not the last word in judging pliancy but there is a notable difference between the two cars. I leave the CSS in individual with everything set to race except the dampers which are on comfort and it's perfect. I think I'd probably spend more time changing modes in the TCR based on what I was doing than with the CSS. For fun, I suspect I'd be in Sport with no adjustments. I think the adjustability, particularly given my wife and I want entirely different things from the TCR make it a perfect shared car. I was expecting to need to swap the car to 18" wheels but I don't think it needs it. I've not tried comfort mode yet!

The car feels quick, much like the CSS, quicker than the 0-60 time on paper. The brakes are superb and similar to the CSS but they feel slightly over servoed - the pads are not bedded in and everything is new so it's probably too early to pass judgement. Braking has more linearity on the CSS I feel.

Anyway, better get on with the run in process! Those of you waiting for cars, you're not going to be disappointed.

Morning

Good read with my Monday breakfast before do the work thing

To back another comment think we all prefer the personal view and feeling to anything scientific and given you have a CSS also your immediate comparisons obviously carry a lot of weight.

It was not a quick and easy decision to not stay with the R, the 300 BHP coupled to AWD is a compelling argument.

I would not have looked that the GTI PP as have got used to the pace of the R and so when the TCR turned up with a close enough BHP to the R the thinking was that I would in the real world of UK roads not feel any loss in pace.

Understood there would be a trade off to the AWD and that argument was balanced by the drop in weight, the increased agility and the VAQ differential.

Also, though the TCR is not a CSS, its quite aligned, and I did look at many a review on the CSS and there was not anything in them to dissuade me

The commonality with all that is the decision was made on supposition, and so its nice to have even more assurance from your drive and CSS comparison, like said a great morning read and even though driving around in an R, October seems a long way away this morning :)

Also looks great sitting there :) but that be no consolation if drive was compromised in some way but thats now fully ticked.

My R definitely improved as went past the 1000 miles and then more mile were added, in fact I would say its running the best its ever been at the moment, and no reason not to expect the TCR to follow that path as the mechanicals bed in and you yourself get used to the DSG again

Never used DSG before the MK7 but now into my 6th year of use, so its quite natural for me, I use D when commuting around and use Race/Paddles any other time (as find the gearbox holds onto gears too long) and as its so innate to me, you do not get into wrong gear and with the immediate changes keep the pace seamlessly - Once you have got used to the TCR own DSG personality, sure you be the same.

One question, the R has a little bit of pedal travel to get moving (hence some use pedal boxes) which I have got so used to I naturally compensate to offset, so what is the TCR behaviour? you never mentioned it so maybe its mapped out? (maybe something to answer after the 1000 miles)
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #704 on: 04 June 2019, 06:57 »

Thanks Exonian. No, I didn’t mean some technical road test format, just a slightly more structured run through the various settings and options. But I guess the fact that I never got to ‘comfort’ mode says a lot about the cars damping for example. My car ownership background is over ten years of uncompromising cars so I probably have greater tolerance of firmer rides than most. I only mention this because I don’t want someone to take my subjective opinion as fact and make a decision based on what I have said not having the context of my experience/ownership background/preferences.

I bought a Cayman R when they came out and all the journalists were complaining that it was too firm for the road (it ran on fixed dampers) and the car was not really available to test drive so bought untested. When I got to drive it, I was like ‘what are they on about?’
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #705 on: 04 June 2019, 07:04 »

We got there relatively early at 10.30 and as can see got the R parked out front, though main reason for trip was to have a day in Stratford and this was a convenient breakfast stop - We had breakfast as sat up on one of the benches and watched all the varying cars roll in - By time we left about 11.45 it was getting quite busy and the overflow (or 1st car park away from main area) was about 50% filled

Imagine it does get pretty busy through rest of the day and maybe more so Sunday, but its all like minded and so the vibe is good and if you get a good variety of drive ups, there is lots of pride and joys to look at and chat on - Despite the supercars there my favourite was a mint condition Nissan 350z that had stage one mods under the hood.

Nice variation from the new, modded and the classic, with lovely Tiger Ford and immaculate 1960's Alfa Romeo leading the way in the classic

The do not be dicks was something that was just said in general but was picked up as saying and so they branded it to themselves and basically means do not drink and drive or basically be an idiot

We like a good pub garden or a coffee, and to them that around cars and bikes (plenty of them on show also) creates a nice vibe and though we might pick our day and timing, we will be back and maybe when a few of us have our TCR not a bad place to gather with some clubsports (of course you can bring both :))

Mine was the only MK 7 on show, so the R was flying the flag and though understated compared to some held its own

The GT4 would sit well in the company and get some attention expect

My only comment to the guys and girls at Caffeine and Machine is to keep the formula simple and not be tempted to get carried away with selves as popularity spikes as thats usually the time you alienate the core clients.

I gather they had a bit of a problem with burn outs, neighbour noise complaints and so on hence the visible effort with 'don't be a dick'. I was surprised by how busy they were at 2pm on a Wednesday afternoon. I really enjoyed my burger and coffee, I was expecting the food to be mediocre pub grub but it was considerably better than that.

It's not worth a 260 mile round trip for me though...

I’ve got the opposite problem, I’m only 5 miles away from it so have to find a longer ‘drive’ to warm the car up. I haven’t been since March, looks way busier now the good weather is here. I do like the burgers too, will probably take the Mk2 over one evening during the week before I get the TCR.

Great to have a place like that on your doorstep. I would actually like to have a place to do a meet up or go for a drive with like minded folks but there isn’t really much of the sort of scene I like where I am. It’s either hardcore nerd or poseur where I live. While I can be a bit nerdy at times, it’s not to the exclusion of all else.

Mentioning burgers this early in the day is now making me hungry.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #706 on: 04 June 2019, 07:11 »

+1 to that :smiley: In fact it was so good it almost had me get my cheque book out and trust me, that is rare :laugh:

Thanks, appreciate the kind words. It was an off the cuff review as I know what it’s like waiting a long time for a car and also how much I appreciated these type of little ‘fixes’ until my own car arrived.

If people like reading them, I’m happy to keep doing them but don’t want to be a forum wind bag!  :shocked:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #707 on: 05 June 2019, 13:30 »

Thanks, appreciate the kind words. It was an off the cuff review as I know what it’s like waiting a long time for a car and also how much I appreciated these type of little ‘fixes’ until my own car arrived.

If people like reading them, I’m happy to keep doing them but don’t want to be a forum wind bag!  :shocked:

Definitely keep it coming. The more the better. Really interesting reading for those of us with similar but different models to relate to and inspiring for those with TCR’s coming. Great reference points, no matter how unstructured, for those who will never get to drive a CSS (self included) and are interested in the TCR.
Not just that, but your wealth of other experience with sports cars gives it all a reference point of how the sporty Golfs hold their own place against these as daily drivers.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #708 on: 05 June 2019, 16:13 »
Agreed, it was a good read and all information is great whilst passing the time waiting for delivery!

I am new to VW and was wondering what the actual differences are between the TCR and Clubsport S.  I know its got the back seats removed and has more bhp (maybe down to emissions than anything else).  But beyond this what are the technical differences?  Not expecting to have purchases a CS, but be interested to know :)
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #709 on: 06 June 2019, 05:57 »

Definitely keep it coming. The more the better. Really interesting reading for those of us with similar but different models to relate to and inspiring for those with TCR’s coming. Great reference points, no matter how unstructured, for those who will never get to drive a CSS (self included) and are interested in the TCR.
Not just that, but your wealth of other experience with sports cars gives it all a reference point of how the sporty Golfs hold their own place against these as daily drivers.

To be honest, I have never strayed from a diet of VW and Porsche (in terms of purchasing) so I think many would accuse me of being a fan boy. I don’t think I am in the blinkered way that many people use the term and am honest about shortcomings or irritations where they exist.

I have tried to wander off the reservation a couple of times and add something else to the garage (Mercedes SLS, Audi RS4, Suzuki Jimny, GWagen Professional) but in every single case, the dealer experience was so poor or where they were able to organise themselves to get me a car to test drive, I was left unimpressed with the vehicle itself. The Suzuki Jimny that everyone has been raving about has the roughest engine outside of a Soviet era Lada (actually, the Lada is smoother) and the ‘its only £18k argument’ doesn’t wash as there are cars with better engines and which have higher NCAP scores at and below this price point. The RS4 had zero steering feel. It was ballistic and beautiful inside but the steering was so disconnected from the car, I might as well have been holding on to one of those child toy steering wheels that you connect to the back of a seat. Its unfathomable that a car at that price with an RS badge could have such a fundamental flaw relating to the driving experience.

My dealer lent me the 992 911 (latest generation if you don’t speak Porsche nerd) the other week and I had it for a few days. The car I had was £118k and looking at the 3 year residual on their finance offer to get an idea of depreciation, expected to lose 50% of that value in that term. I don’t buy on finance (other than using it to get discount contribution initially) and if I am spending that sort of money, I am not taking a 50% hit notwithstanding running costs but to spend that and hand it back after 3 years makes no sense to me as an ownership experience. The 992 was an incredible piece of engineering and considered I had one up from the base model in two wheel drive, being able to do 0-60 in just over 3 secs is quite something in a two wheel drive car. No doubt the GT and Turbo S will be significantly under 3 secs. Without going into specifics of which I could write a very long post, the 911 is not a sports car anymore, it has turned into a luxurious tech rich and highly civilised grand tourer which feels heavy when you throw it around. Phenomenal engineering but is it worth 3.5 TCRs? No.

My point via the examples above is that the GTI is a superb car on so many levels and against cars at much much higher price points. Which is why I will always have a GTI in the garage.