Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245742 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #350 on: 09 March 2019, 12:19 »
Different springs or different dampers because as far as I can tell all golf variants use the same damper for DCC which is made by Monroe.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #351 on: 09 March 2019, 16:08 »
Im waiting for one to get to the dealers to take a look at and hopefully drive before I decide what to change my BMW m135i for but this , the GTI and the R are still options for me.

No doubt there's a mark up on the price for the TCR, but probably not as bad as it seems in some cases.  Is it just over £2k for the DSG models?

I really like the wheels and the interior on the TCR and dislike the standard kit on the GTI PP, so would easily eat in to that 2k.  Plus a decent increase in power, brakes and a few spoilers etc, for some it won't be too bad a jump and easy to justify.

Horses for courses I think, if you really like the standard wheels and interior on the GTI I guess this looks more overpriced. 

From what I can see the GTI, TCR and R are all getting the same discount (on CarWow at least), so no added benefit to them here.

VW have had to create some head room above the GTI PP with the TCR as the flagship GTI so I wouldn't call it mark up, they have tried to create some differentiation with the extent of the package they've created. The question is of course, does that package appeal for the price difference.

Much like you, I wasn't enamoured with the Jacara interior so would have specified Art Velours and with some other options at MSRP, it's around £2.5k but I'm not getting exactly what I want. The only compromise I had with the TCR was the interior where I would have preferred Art Velours but don't mind the treatment they've applied, just would have preferred something a little more restrained but I'm sure I'll like it when I see it.

Not sure I get the comparison between a GTI PP / TCR and R outside of purchase price. The extra traction and acceleration that AWD brings with it gives you a better 0-60 but there is a weight penalty and I have driven a 7.5 R back to back with my Clubsport S and I would take the Clubsport S every single time. Straight line speed versus handling doesn't translate - the CSS feels quicker than it is and while I don't doubt the performance of the R, it feels heavier when thrown around.

Yep,comparison was just on base purchase price, nothing more. I quite like the idea of moving to one of them next but need to test drive for the reasons you go on to mention.

I just got the impression it was not seen as good value by most people on here compared to the PP, but I didn’t think it was bad when you brake it down. I think it just depends on if the PP fits in base spec v the TCR in base.  For me it doesn’t, mainly down to wheels and interior trim, but that’s just me and no doubt others feel differently.
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #352 on: 10 March 2019, 08:03 »
Im waiting for one to get to the dealers to take a look at and hopefully drive before I decide what to change my BMW m135i for but this , the GTI and the R are still options for me.

No doubt there's a mark up on the price for the TCR, but probably not as bad as it seems in some cases.  Is it just over £2k for the DSG models?

I really like the wheels and the interior on the TCR and dislike the standard kit on the GTI PP, so would easily eat in to that 2k.  Plus a decent increase in power, brakes and a few spoilers etc, for some it won't be too bad a jump and easy to justify.

Horses for courses I think, if you really like the standard wheels and interior on the GTI I guess this looks more overpriced. 

From what I can see the GTI, TCR and R are all getting the same discount (on CarWow at least), so no added benefit to them here.

VW have had to create some head room above the GTI PP with the TCR as the flagship GTI so I wouldn't call it mark up, they have tried to create some differentiation with the extent of the package they've created. The question is of course, does that package appeal for the price difference.

Much like you, I wasn't enamoured with the Jacara interior so would have specified Art Velours and with some other options at MSRP, it's around £2.5k but I'm not getting exactly what I want. The only compromise I had with the TCR was the interior where I would have preferred Art Velours but don't mind the treatment they've applied, just would have preferred something a little more restrained but I'm sure I'll like it when I see it.

Not sure I get the comparison between a GTI PP / TCR and R outside of purchase price. The extra traction and acceleration that AWD brings with it gives you a better 0-60 but there is a weight penalty and I have driven a 7.5 R back to back with my Clubsport S and I would take the Clubsport S every single time. Straight line speed versus handling doesn't translate - the CSS feels quicker than it is and while I don't doubt the performance of the R, it feels heavier when thrown around.

I know that the track positioning of the TCR puts some people off for fear that the ride won't be compliant but this isn't an uncompromising RS special from Porsche, it's a mass produced car with a tune and some parts bin add ons. VW is a brand that gets chassis dynamics. I never have the Clubsport S out of 'Comfort' because it's just so good on the UK's awful roads. The moment I put it into race on anything but a mirror like surface, it's crashy and unbearable on most surfaces. I have driven it on excellent quality roads and it's excellent but 95% of the time, it would be too harsh and I couldn't live with it. I expect they will bring the same mindset to the TCR with a comfort mode to increase the appeal.

Some good points here. Interesting thoughts on the CSS ride. Believe it was in comfort setting when it set the ring record. From the videos I saw this morning the interior looks a bit more garish than I though it would but would I have one if I could get one quickly? Yes. Going to be a great car. I still think about changing my order as my R has been delayed again.

The ring record was set in 'Individual' which is basically everything set to race with the exception of the dampers which are in 'Comfort'. VW were not messing about when they went for the record and I recall that they put a cage into the car and having been on the 'ring and seen how Benny Leuchter took that CSS round, it was an utterly fearless lap. I saw him interviewed and got the impression that he had to really fight the car to get that time.

Funnily enough, I didn't really gel with the CSS in the first week I had it, the pedal weights and throw of the clutch took a little adjustment being such a contrast to my other car but pliancy or handling was never in question. I don't see myself ever parting with it and I don't think we'll see another car like it from VW.

I'm really looking forward to comparing the TCR to the CSS. Particularly interesting to see how they feel from a dynamic point of view and the power to weight ratio difference on the road.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #353 on: 10 March 2019, 12:57 »
I don't think we'll see another car like it from VW.

I'm really looking forward to comparing the TCR to the CSS. Particularly interesting to see how they feel from a dynamic point of view and the power to weight ratio difference on the road.

I definitely think you’re right about there never being another car like the CSS from VW.

I’m really looking forward to hearing your thoughts once you’ve driven both back to back after familiarising yourself with the TCR.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #354 on: 10 March 2019, 13:02 »

I definitely think you’re right about there never being another car like the CSS from VW.

I’m really looking forward to hearing your thoughts once you’ve driven both back to back after familiarising yourself with the TCR.

I’ll second that. Having experience of both cars will give a really interesting perspective.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Clubsport S

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #355 on: 10 March 2019, 13:24 »

The ring record was set in 'Individual' which is basically everything set to race with the exception of the dampers which are in 'Comfort'. VW were not messing about when they went for the record and I recall that they put a cage into the car and having been on the 'ring and seen how Benny Leuchter took that CSS round, it was an utterly fearless lap. I saw him interviewed and got the impression that he had to really fight the car to get that time.

Funnily enough, I didn't really gel with the CSS in the first week I had it, the pedal weights and throw of the clutch took a little adjustment being such a contrast to my other car but pliancy or handling was never in question. I don't see myself ever parting with it and I don't think we'll see another car like it from VW.

Interesting comparison with the CSS, will the TCR be a daily ?

I’ve currently got an S3 as a daily, but do like the idea of the TCR.

Offline TCR

• Not said much yet
« Reply #356 on: 10 March 2019, 15:22 »
Has anyone else on here ordered one yet? I ordered mine last Monday :) what options did anyone go for? Also what deals did you get ?

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #357 on: 10 March 2019, 16:33 »

I’ll second that. Having experience of both cars will give a really interesting perspective.

Well, I can provide a full back to back review on a 7 CSS, 7.5 TCR and 7.5 GTI PP (manual) if anyone is interested. Thinking about it, they'll look quite good in a group shot - the CSS is White, TCR is Pure Grey and GTI PP is Black. GTI PP is my father in law's car but I'm sure if I give him a go in the CSS, he'll reciprocate.  :grin:

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #358 on: 10 March 2019, 16:54 »
Interesting comparison with the CSS, will the TCR be a daily ?

I’ve currently got an S3 as a daily, but do like the idea of the TCR.

The CSS and TCR are both dailies as it happens. His and hers - my wife will have the TCR as she isn't a fan of a manual.

Frustration with the CSS as a daily is the lack of cruise control - basic or adaptive plus parking sensors. I go in and out of Cambridge regularly and there are perma road works with average speed controls for miles and miles - it's wearing watching your speedo like a hawk. Parking sensors are useful at night - I live in the countryside and you don't really realise how dark it gets without urban light pollution (used to be in London where you never saw a black sky). There have been a couple of occasions where I miss having the sensors, the tiny reverse light is next to useless without a decent degree of ambient light. So in short, looking forward to some of the conveniences that come with the car beyond the actual quality of the drive itself.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #359 on: 10 March 2019, 17:10 »
Has anyone else on here ordered one yet? I ordered mine last Monday :) what options did anyone go for? Also what deals did you get ?

I was starting to think I was a club of one!  :laugh: Ordered a few days after they were officially announced, lots of horse trading with the dealers on price which is earlier in this thread.

Went for Pure Grey with DCC Reifnitz wheel package, 90% rear tints, climate windscreen, lane assist plus with dynamic light assist.

What did you go for and have you got a build week yet?