Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245755 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #230 on: 21 February 2019, 12:19 »
I agree totally but i think the lower starting price along with level of discount might counteract depreciation etc. 👍
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #232 on: 21 February 2019, 13:33 »
Yeah you get DCC, 19's, "leather" and some other bits on the Cupra 290.

As for finance.... the non-lux Cupra vs the GTI performance.... not much in it.

Its made worse by SEAT offering  6.4% on PCP vs 3.6% from VW and SEAT don't offer a deposit contribution.

Of course PCP residuals are different to real world ones and actually selling a Golf GTI is never an issue, whereas a SEAT?

I've also known two different friends who in the last couple of years have had engines blow on their Cupra's...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #233 on: 21 February 2019, 13:46 »

I was in my dealer this morning for something else and had a conversation with the salesman that I deal with. The answer to everything was 'I don't know'.

DTD are estimating 16-18 weeks lead time which is based on an order for an R that was placed this week. Someone mentioned 9 months on the forum recently so seems everything is now aligned in terms of model lead times.

Put my configuration together and came to £37k. VW dealer said they're not discounting and he looked mildly horrified when I showed him DTD's page and suggested that he should try if he wants my business.

- It's a bit of a p1sstake to charge for Pure Grey. Maybe for the grey/black combination but it's the launch colour.  :angry:

- I can't tell but are the Quantara wheels diamond cut? They look like it but the images are postage stamp sized and a Google search produces multiple similar name options of a different design. I was hoping for a little more pliancy but won't go near diamond cut wheels based on white worm problems previously.

Just waiting on a query regarding the price of Pretoria alloys but going ahead with the order as the differential on a GTI Performance is about £1,500 and the difference is worth it for me.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #234 on: 21 February 2019, 14:13 »
Wait for your dealer to tell you that DTD is not an official VW dealer supplied vehicle...

Before anyone asks.... oh yes it is!

In fact if you get the real quote, you'll get it on their dealer letterhead.... complete with VW logo...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
« Reply #235 on: 21 February 2019, 14:19 »

- I can't tell but are the Quantara wheels diamond cut? They look like it but the images are postage stamp sized and a Google search produces multiple similar name options of a different design. I was hoping for a little more pliancy but won't go near diamond cut wheels based on white worm problems previously.

Hi AGB, the Quaranta (or Belvedere as they are also known) alloys are great but yes they are diamond cut.
GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #236 on: 21 February 2019, 14:23 »
@AGB; pretty certain the Belvedere alloys that were the standard wheels on the Clubsport are also known as Quaranta in some markets, so Quaranta and Belvedere are one and the same thing.

The Belvedere alloys on the Clubsport were diamond cut, and look exactly the same as the TCR standard Quaranta alloys in the configurator - i.e. diamond cut. I think the big clue they’re diamond cut is the recessed areas are black and the face is shiny metal; during the manufacturing process, they’ll have been completely painted / powder coated black, and then the face will have been ‘cut’ to remove the paint / powder coat finish from the face to reveal the metal prior to lacquering.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #237 on: 21 February 2019, 14:25 »
But no one would spec leather electric seats in a TCR!!  :grin:
I would. :smiley:

but I'm not a badge snob
The thing is though your point is your subjective view on "value" as an argument, it's not really about being a badge snob. When I sat inside a SEAT, my subjective view was the quality of the materials, fixtures & finish, equipment levels etc was inferior in so many places that matter to me. It didn't, for me, feel as nice a place to be as the Golf, it didn't feel special enough. The GTI brand is also strong, it's a brand I like and can relate too, that is reflected in the residual values of both cars.

Sure the SEAT is cheaper, but it's cheaper for a reason, because it's built to cheaper margins. That's not to say VW don't build the Golf to margins, but those margins are different to SEAT margins.

I'm also not saying I'm right, that's just my view. SEAT exists for a specific target audience, I am not in that target, but that's not to say I'm wrong for choosing the Golf over the SEAT. I just don't personally see the SEAT as good "value", I see it as a cheaper alternative. Ironically, from personal experience having sat in a new Superb recently, I rank the Skoda product higher than SEAT.

:smiley:
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #238 on: 21 February 2019, 14:32 »
Wait for your dealer to tell you that DTD is not an official VW dealer supplied vehicle...

Before anyone asks.... oh yes it is!

In fact if you get the real quote, you'll get it on their dealer letterhead.... complete with VW logo...

They tried that on me once before and I just stood up to leave and said 'I don't mind where I spend the money as long as I get the car'. The salesman did a great back peddle.  :grin:

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #239 on: 21 February 2019, 14:34 »
@AGB; pretty certain the Belvedere alloys that were the standard wheels on the Clubsport are also known as Quaranta in some markets, so Quaranta and Belvedere are one and the same thing.

The Belvedere alloys on the Clubsport were diamond cut, and look exactly the same as the TCR standard Quaranta alloys in the configurator - i.e. diamond cut. I think the big clue they’re diamond cut is the recessed areas are black and the face is shiny metal; during the manufacturing process, they’ll have been completely painted / powder coated black, and then the face will have been ‘cut’ to remove the paint / powder coat finish from the face to reveal the metal prior to lacquering.

This is why this forum is so great. Yeah, I thought they were Diamond Cut but always worth double checking. I've had problems with white worm on diamond cut wheels - frustrating from a break in the lacquer caused by a stone chip. Thanks for the reply.