Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245749 times)

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #220 on: 21 February 2019, 10:39 »
My dealers have said zero discount. Bargain then. I’ll take two.
I'm sure discounts will start appearing once the order books look empty, it was the same with the CS40, the hardcore came in first, but by the time the 7.5 appeared there were still CS40's sat in showrooms unsold and being discounted.

For curiosity I've just built a TCR to my equivalent spec (I've had to manually add the leccy driver's seat as it appears you can't spec it on the TCR, probably for weight reasons). Based on zero discount for a TCR it comes in at £9500 more expensive(!) than my build was after the discount I received! :laugh:
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #221 on: 21 February 2019, 10:58 »
But no one would spec leather electric seats in a TCR!!  :grin:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #222 on: 21 February 2019, 11:15 »
The Leon Cupra 290 looks the same spec if not better so why would you buy a TCR for nearly 9k more?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #223 on: 21 February 2019, 11:22 »
The Leon Cupra 290 looks the same spec if not better so why would you buy a TCR for nearly 9k more?

Probably the same reason you aren't driving a Leon! It's not a Golf  :smiley:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #224 on: 21 February 2019, 11:22 »
Personally, although I could cancel my R, I'm not sure why I would considering how it'll work out slightly more than my spec. It's not limited edition so value might not hold as much as we'd like. Even with discounts, I don't think it makes a lot of sense. Residuals might well be key.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #225 on: 21 February 2019, 11:26 »

I'm going to look at a Leon Cupra 290 Lux which as you say isn't a golf but I'm not a badge snob and the Leon has better standard spec than a GTi pp and more power and the last time I looked at parts they had the vag group logos on not just VW. Granted I haven't sat in a Leon since I had a 2005 FR diesel but if the money adds up then it could be bye bye Golf.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #226 on: 21 February 2019, 11:29 »

I'm going to look at a Leon Cupra 290 Lux which as you say isn't a golf but I'm not a badge snob and the Leon has better standard spec than a GTi pp and more power and the last time I looked at parts they had the vag group logos on not just VW. Granted I haven't sat in a Leon since I had a 2005 FR diesel but if the money adds up then it could be bye bye Golf.

I'd consider a Leon, they do look and tend to be slightly better spec'd than the equivalent Golf. Imagine they will look dated inside unless they facelift as no digital dash.
NOW - 330e M Sport

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #227 on: 21 February 2019, 11:34 »
Smaller, cheaper, dated and I believe SEAT have dropped options entirely now except colour - its model specs only.

Is it VAG engineering? Yes of course. Is it fast? Arguably faster without the weight of all of those Golf luxury items.

Would I want one? No.

What you need to watch out for with them is the total cost of ownership though. The depreciation of a Leon is massively more than a Golf. The start price might seem less but over 3 years from new you probably are talking the same cost...

I looked at both the Leon and the Octavia before buying this GTD... and it didn't work out cheaper.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #228 on: 21 February 2019, 11:45 »
The Leon has virtually everything. It's got active info display as standard unless my eyes are deceiving me on the Seat website. Also comes with DCC as standard too and with discounts can be had for around 26k.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #229 on: 21 February 2019, 11:55 »
The Leon has virtually everything. It's got active info display as standard unless my eyes are deceiving me on the Seat website. Also comes with DCC as standard too and with discounts can be had for around 26k.

Didn't know it had the active dash now..  :smiley:

Think Fred is right though, factor in depreciation and might be a different story...
NOW - 330e M Sport