Author Topic: trying to change mk4 steering wheel any help would be very greatful  (Read 13329 times)

Offline Wurzel

• Here all the time
please don't try and remove the airbag with the battery connected  :huh:

I'm sure I've read it's perfectly safe.
1999 mk4 1.8 n/a AGN Silver Grey
***Looking for one 16 inch wheel, Montreal 2*** and a rear parcel shelf (without speaker holes!)

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.

:shocked:

MKIV Mod Squadâ„¢ a part of the headlight police.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot

why take the chance for less than 30 seconds to disconnect the battery  :huh:

Offline Wurzel

• Here all the time

True but I read on another forum, it was someone who worked at a garage and they said they've never heard of an airbag going off because the battery was still connected.
***Looking for one 16 inch wheel, Montreal 2*** and a rear parcel shelf (without speaker holes!)

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot

True but I read on another forum, it was someone who worked at a garage and they said they've never heard of an airbag going off because the battery was still connected.

Well they are nuts, all it takes is one short circuit or crossed wire and you have a face full of air bag, you should always disconnect the battery and leave it for a short time.

Offline tg1

• I live here
its a fapping bomb mate, go back to that forum and the the dude he's a eeejet.

Saw one blow up when we were at college for autoelectrics. my tutor put a teddy on it then blew it up. 7 or us looked for it for a good half hour. never even found a tiny bit.

and i thought i was a pikey when it come to safety 

Offline Grand Master Patch

• I live here
It's one of those classic urban myths handed down from father to son.You can quite safely disconnect the airbag(s) with the battery still connected and nothing will happen unless you turn the ignition on,when it will record a fault condition of "airbag not detected" or similar that is only a warning light and nothing more,and can be switched off by plugging in a diagnostic tool.

Offline Wurzel

• Here all the time
It's one of those classic urban myths handed down from father to son.You can quite safely disconnect the airbag(s) with the battery still connected and nothing will happen unless you turn the ignition on,when it will record a fault condition of "airbag not detected" or similar that is only a warning light and nothing more,and can be switched off by plugging in a diagnostic tool.

Exactly.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot

That is mad, I worked in the motor trade for 10 years and was always told to disconnect the battery, your nuts if you dont.

What worries me is people will read this and think it is ok to do it.

Offline GJSEB79

• I live here
hi i have taken the to old steering wheel of an replace it with a after market one an i was afraid i was chancing it not disconnecting battery i am going on holiday in two weeks dont want to go abroad with air bag lodged in the side of my face