Author Topic: trying to change mk4 steering wheel any help would be very greatful  (Read 13330 times)

Offline GJSEB79

• I live here
as above if some body could give a a run down on how easy this is and wether i need any special tools and how to i turn the airbag light off once in stalled or do i need a diffent boss cheers gordon got a mountney steering wheel an boss for a mk4 golf

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
disconnect battery

make a cup of tea

start with wheel straight then turn to 90 degrees

on the back you'll feel a small hole - insert a small but strong screwdriver and lever the clip off - its a little tricky but its doable

turn wheel back through 180 degrees and repeat and remove airbag

no idea on the rest from there as i refitted an R32 wheel.  Would imagine you'd need some kind of resistor to fool the car into thinking the airbag is still connected

Offline GJSEB79

• I live here
cheers for that i just hope somebody has put an after market one on here as you can buy one for airbag models which mine is

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
You will need a resistor on a aftermarket wheel, as it fools the car into thinking the airbag is still there.

Offline Grand Master Patch

• I live here
Quick note that you don't need to disconnect the battery,just don't turn the ignition on when the airbag off,you won't get any airbag warning lights :wink:

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Quick note that you don't need to disconnect the battery,just don't turn the ignition on when the airbag off,you won't get any airbag warning lights :wink:

doesn't always work that way - i've removed a steering wheel without disconnecting the battery and no ignition on and the light came on  :undecided:

Offline GJSEB79

• I live here
hi there cheers for that mate how will that work. let me get this right if i dont disconnect the battery and just dont turn ignition on this will make air bag lights stay off an never come on is this right or will i need some sort of resitor the steering boss i have bought said it was for an air bag model am i reading this right cheers gordon

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
hi there cheers for that mate how will that work. let me get this right if i dont disconnect the battery and just dont turn ignition on this will make air bag lights stay off an never come on is this right or will i need some sort of resitor the steering boss i have bought said it was for an air bag model am i reading this right cheers gordon

you'll still need the resistor to stop the airbag light coming on

i was on about when removing the steering wheel to swap it for another VW wheel i.e the R32 wheel

you got a link to the wheel you've bought?

Offline Grand Master Patch

• I live here

No mate,as Rhyso said if your fitting an aftermarket steering wheel you will need a resistor to prevent the airbag warning light being lit.I was referring to fitting a vw steering wheel.

Offline tg1

• I live here
please don't try and remove the airbag with the battery connected  :huh: