Author Topic: Coil packs  (Read 16906 times)

Offline Stu-1.8T

• Here all the time
  • Quit your Jibba Jabba
Coil packs
« on: 30 October 2007, 09:29 »
I was on my way to work this morning, got the engine up to temperature and gave it a blast up to about 5,500rpm (80mph) in third...noticed the engine skipped a beat or two, but was still pulling okay.  However, when i was sat in traffic, the engine was idleing quite roughly at around 800rpm.  Then pulling away, it's definately running on three cylinders with the engine management light blinking on and off.  The car now sounds like a Subaru Imprezza but goes like a Micra!

I limped home and the car is cooling down now. I'm really hoping it might be something cheap like a dodgy spark plug, but thinking it's more likely the Coil packs.

Anybody on here offer a guess at how much this is going to set me back? I know AlanD on here had his go, but are the coil packs different for the 1.8T?

« Last Edit: 29 July 2008, 23:16 by richw911 »

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
Re: Coil packs
« Reply #1 on: 30 October 2007, 10:51 »
VAGPARTs.com have the coil pack for the AGU on their site @ £28.67 + vat

do you know what your engine code is?

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 30 October 2007, 12:03 »
Hey, I bought mine from a dealer for about £25 inc VAT.  Cant remember the part no but the latest revision ends with R!  (thats for the AUM, ie the ones that aren't clamped down)
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #3 on: 30 October 2007, 12:24 »
which engine code is yours Stu?

Offline Lewy

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 30 October 2007, 12:38 »
Coil Packs are replaced FOC from VW, as they recognise it as being a weak spot on the ignition.

Speak to your nearest dealer and get them done for nowt!

Offline Stu-1.8T

• Here all the time
  • Quit your Jibba Jabba
« Reply #5 on: 30 October 2007, 13:15 »
It's a 2001 AUM 150bhp.  I did a quick search after I did my post and noticed that somebody else mentioned that VW were replacing Coil Packs free of charge on cars built from 2001.  I very much doubt I will be that lucky :rolleyes:

Offline Lewy

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 30 October 2007, 13:40 »
It's a 2001 AUM 150bhp.  I did a quick search after I did my post and noticed that somebody else mentioned that VW were replacing Coil Packs free of charge on cars built from 2001.  I very much doubt I will be that lucky :rolleyes:

Wanna bet!

Give them a ring and see for your self.

Offline Stu-1.8T

• Here all the time
  • Quit your Jibba Jabba
« Reply #7 on: 30 October 2007, 14:00 »
Just rang Caffyns at Worthing. I'm sure I heard the Parts guy laugh when I said it was a 2001 car. He just said "VW will not pay for the coil packs as the car is way out of warranty". :undecided:

Lewy, what dealer did you go to to get them done free? Have you got their contact details and did you have them replaced recently?

Thanks for all your replies on this guys by the way.

Offline Lewy

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 30 October 2007, 14:04 »
Mine was about 2 years aout of warranty and the dealer was Motorworld of Oxford.

PM 'caddy vantastic' as he's a VW Parts Manager for Reading, he'll tell you for definate.

Offline Lewy

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 30 October 2007, 14:56 »
James - caddy vantastic has just said that the Parts dude at Caffyns is a bell-end!

He knows about this thread and will post asap!