Author Topic: kniterider - mk3 vr6 'ratty racer'  (Read 11106 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
kniterider - mk3 vr6 'ratty racer'
« on: 03 November 2006, 12:59 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline kniterider

• I live here
  • had most, sold most and often buy more!
Re: kniterider - mk3 vr6 'ratty racer'
« Reply #1 on: 03 November 2006, 21:07 »
well didnt think id be doin this again  :laugh:

so heres my £510 ebay bargin vr6....

shes not mint by any means, but lowered on spax shocks/springs, k+n 57i, 180,000 miles  :shocked: dosnt smoke or rattle and goes like stink, it aint worth doin up and i havent got loads to spend as its only a keep my dry car for when im not riding the gsxr.....

big thanks to jay at www.hardcoredubz.co.uk for helpin me out with bits from day one to sort the minor niggles ive had (door barrel 'hooks', fuel pump relay and plenty of time to chat to a fellow dubber  :wink: )

ive also sorted the sloppy 3rd gear issue, which was the absence of a circlip on part of the pivot piont under the lever...,

so why 'ratty racer' you ask?? as i said the body aint rotten, but its got some nasty bits in a few places and too be honest i dont want a flashy car as it only attracts attention from the wrong kind of peeps... (like my mk4....).. so this is being stripped on friday 10th nov prior to the 11th for which im signed up and paid for doing my 1st trackday at cadwell park.. so out with the interior and in with a pair of bucket seats and harnesses, tyres are ok so ill leave them for now, suspension ok till i can afford strut braces and coilovers, have new brakes but not puttin em on till after  :laugh: :laugh: , so which colour do i go for? well it either stays a dull white or it goes satin black on friday along with a load of stickers... ive got some www.hardcoredubz.co.uk stickers to go on, hopefully some golfgti.co.uk ones along with some massive martyn race paint ones! (one of my bessy mates who paints motor bikes for racers etc..), so ill be all stcikered up ... ill show some pics on here next week the eve before i go trackin.....

also after a few bits so if any1 has any of these let me know  :wink:

cheap rear silencer (not standard but design un important), decat pipe? , 5 spoke 15" wheels (must take 205/50/15 tyres), upgraded ecu chip for obd1 2.8 vr6, strut braces front and rear, and roll cage, and thats about it for now... coilovers maybe if cheap, if not ill have to plump and buy new... lol

so you seen the pics above, watch this space for new ones, ill also include any online fottage of it in action after next saturday... lol..

and to any that moan about how often im gonna update this... ill do it when i want, as its on a budget, so before you have a go check the last time you updated yours.... :tongue: :tongue:

this is a link to the day im signed up for (see my name in list along with my mate olly in his skyline... 300bhp lyin tw@t...lol)

http://www.javelintrackdays.co.uk/cgi-bin/javelin.pl?cgifunction=Search&Ref=20061111

see you soon...  :wink: :wink:

Gaz
« Last Edit: 03 November 2006, 21:12 by kniterider »

Offline kniterider

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 06 November 2006, 16:34 »
well an hour or 2 on saturday and a hour today and all interior is out apart from headling (keeping it in to stop feckin condensation.... hated that in my bug  :laugh: ) the sound proofing in the front foot wells was soaking and f00kin stunk..... so now i have just a drivers seat and seatbelt, the towbar has been removed now and must have weighed at least as heavy as 2 wheels/tyres!!!! so it feels a hell of alot quicker and louder than it was  :laugh: have got 2 as new corbeau full on bucket seats with 6 point harnesses being put in on friday, now ive just hit my 1st problem..... got to drop the kids off there grans at 5 and no seats :laugh: good job its only a minute away, so the full empty ness is going to be good for somethings and not others!!,  so i might be after a rear seat in black!!!!!

ill post pics up tomorro, it looks a righto mess but goes like stink so i think its stay scruffy till after this saturday then tidy up the interior a little bit......edit: heres the pics..

and theres a great big chunk of lower spoiler missing from the rear bumper from where the towbar was  :cry:

why did vw decided to put the abs ecu on the floor in the passenger footwell in a plastic a4 binder size case??fookin pain in the @rse,

gonna fit a gutted cat tomorrow to free up a few ponies, was going to do it today but ive only just got up  :laugh:

im gonna sell the complete vr6 interior (all in navy blue, front and rear seats mint no rips/burns etc, front door cards and rear panel cards (no speakers or switches) and the blue carpet from inside and the kick panels and carpet/sill trims £50 if you know any1 that wants em... have bunged em in me shed and cant get my motorbike out now so there gonna have to go!!

if the car is in one piece after saturday then  its 3 door black rear seats/carpet/and door cards etc going in to match the new seats which are going in the front which look very similar to this

except there all black corbeau forza's hence the need for the black rear interior... but lets wait and see...

:evil: :grin: :evil: :grin:
« Last Edit: 07 November 2006, 15:56 by kniterider »

Offline kniterider

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 07 November 2006, 15:58 »
 :smiley:

Offline kniterider

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 09 November 2006, 17:13 »
well finished me night shift at 6 am this morning and havent been to sleep yet.... :laugh:

after taking kids to scholl i thought id get the old girl on my ramps and bung this empty cat on to free a few horses.... well, as the golfs lowered, the ramps werent working even with extensions, i tried and managed to make the manky vr6 chin spoiler look rougher than it was... in the end i ripped it off.. car on ramps only to find the 3 bolts that hold the cat to the downpipes are like the titanic... you know.. they look like nuts, but when your sizing up sockets they fall to bits and turn in round brown things.... the sleeve that joins the cat to the middle box looks knacked, and its clamps were the same so ive decided to pass on this at the mo and wait till a second hand exhaust system comes up then ill do it in one hit, so for this trackday its gonna have to be catte'd  :cry:.... anyways, i decided to take it round the block as i havent run it since monday and after topping the oil up with some cheap and cheerfull oil the upper hydraulic cam chain tensioner is making some strange noises at certain rpm.... bummer, stripped and cleaned the tensioner, but as the oil is black not really worth doing....took it for a run and bit better, can see as been told by auduquattro100 mine is deffo an early 1 as theres no spring assistance like on the newer vr6's.. i may bung a spring in mine after ive done a flush and oil change (tomorrow to see if this assists things, after this and the fact the trackday is on saturday and its now thurs dinner time is i rung me mate to see if he'd finnished painting a vw variant so i could get in and fit me new seats.... well he hadnt even masked off so he moved a few things about and as he was masking off i fitted the fonza seats, and for the information of who ever it was who pm'd me to ask yes they are fia approved seats and subframes what ever that means??? any ways did them, making sure not to drill through something like fuel lines and brake pipes  :wink: , there not as clean as they looked in my mates room, but there now covered in paint shop dust and crap so a quick clean and theyll be back to as new look... fitted the harnesses, there actually 4 point harnesses and not 6 point ones like id been told these are 'safety device' brand, and the rear coupling has been bolted to the old rear seatbelt bench mount, the side mount nearest the doors has been mounted to the lower seat belt mounting point for driver / passenger, and the tunnel side mount as had to be mad as all vw seats have seat belt units inc in them rather than an additional mounting point, so have mounted these to the rear mounting bolt of each seat, so there in, the drivers seat in adjustable in forwards and backwards and we set it a happy medium between me and deano who's driving when im not (and is a  short arse.. lol), so there all in and harnesses all fully functional... drove it back from his to mine (10 miles) and it makes a real confidence boost feeling come on, that and you can feel every movement in your @rse and spine.. :laugh: which the standard seats hide and you get no feel... so as shes lowered etc already it now feels a hell of a more alright trackday car than it did with one vr6 seat and a seat belt!!!

oh yeah called at www.hardcoredubz.co.uk and got me self a new rear bumper, as mine had a big gastly hole where the towbar used to be... now it hasnt and even if the bumper a diffo colour tis still better!!, thanks to jay also for the loan of a non spacesaver spare  :wink:

so thats it for today, still looks trashed inside, full of tools, stuff i need on the day and old interior bits, but will be totally empty from any flying objectics on sat morning...
  :smiley:

Offline kniterider

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 09 November 2006, 17:19 »
still havent got a clue what my mate has got planned for the day tomorrow, ive gotta service and clean up the rear brakes, check fluids suspension etc and clean and hoover out the inside, ... whilst after a wash and the new bumper being painted its gonna be stickered up... now ive seen the martyn racepaint stickers and there BIG... like full car side.. business name/tel no etc, and logo, then hes got a load more vinyl hes got cut to go on but wont tell me what hes doing as i said hes got free reign on the car tomorrow   :laugh:  then plans for satin blackin it tomorrow have gone out the window, still tobe done soon but not rushed into a really crap job!!

ill take some pics in the morning after ive taken it to the jet wash and hoovered it before i go back to my mates.....

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline kniterider

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 10 November 2006, 20:22 »
well things dont goto plan.... up late loads to do and couldnt get on... lol, so all thats been done is washed and leathered off, some biuseness vinyl of my mates, a cheesey '01' number like on the general lee on the dorrs and my surname on the back window quarters so every one knows which idiot is driving it lol  :laugh: :laugh:

was dark so couldnt take any good pics ill take some when i get there and its light tomorrow....

few beers and early to bed tongnight, im knacked after spending 3 hrs getting the rear brakes to work..  :laugh: :laugh:

:grin: :grin:

looks dodgey at mo but at least any goin to watch will no its  me  :laugh: :laugh:

satin black paint job pencilled in for 2nd week in jan, along with better stuff on outside... hopefully i might get a roll cage or something buy then, or i may have changed my mind   :laugh:

Offline kniterider

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 11 November 2006, 19:12 »
some pics here

[urlhttp://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=49366.10][/url]

from me trackday today......

gonna fit me new brakes tomrrow as errr... well metal on metal at the front after today :laugh:

not gonna bother with coil overs as it handled a treat as it was, just strut braces, maybe a roll cage, and some better wheels with stickier tyres, satin black respray after xmas with new silver vinyl of me mates paint company along with who ever wishes to donate stickers to be shown at trackdays all over next year!!,

have ordered pics from the proff photographers that were there... there the nads.. £30 for a disc with about 15 decent high res action shots.. should be here by friday so ill bung em up  :wink:

Offline kniterider

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 09 January 2007, 20:54 »
right well that was a short ride....

been after a mk2 really as they handle so much better... and after being messed around by one of me dads mates who wanted to buy the vr6 (all bunged back to standard and de stickered) i bunged back for sale, had a cash buyer for £500 which is basically what i paid, but as i was after a mk2 and a lad with a mk2 gti wanted to do a deal i had to let the cash buyer down....

so heres to the end of this one and once ive got me hands on the new one a new project section of a few bits i gotta do on it... heres a few tasters...

1990, big bumper, 3dr, black , gti, lowered massively!!, 16" borbets, 11 motnhs test and 3 months tax, mint interior... recon engine and loads more.... just has a stuffed rear big bumper and a passenger front wing that could do with being replaced...

so ina few days a new project will start...

luvved the power of the vr though..... but who knows what ill bung under the bonnet of this mk2... after it its going to stand me at less that the vr  :wink:

:laugh: :laugh:

Offline kniterider

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2008, 19:04 »
damn that was a long time ago.... the mate who got the vr6 had it stood up for a while.... all change now, decked, black roof, twin morrettes , bra and 18" wheels it looks the bomb... will get some pics and post it up... his bro's green caddy got on stage at e38 last year and this will this year if he carries on... :wink: