Author Topic: Dom Mk3 - 16v power this time  (Read 7493 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Dom Mk3 - 16v power this time
« on: 29 January 2006, 20:06 »
here you go  :cool:
« Last Edit: 15 August 2008, 12:20 by jv »
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Dom Mk3

• I live here
  • Insert wit here
Re: Dom mk3 - 16v power this time
« Reply #1 on: 29 January 2006, 20:27 »
Cheers jv :wink:

Yup, traded the borbets plus cash for a mk3 2.0 16v.

First things first, the gearbox! Either the linkages (think it's cable) needs adjusting, or the box replacing. Ho hum...

Offline Dom Mk3

• I live here
  • Insert wit here
Re: Dom Mk3 - 16v power this time
« Reply #2 on: 01 February 2006, 14:01 »
update: Car is still in the garage. Just waiting for parts. Luckily was nice and simple, needed a new selector. £100 at VW later and all should be good  :smiley:

Offline Dom Mk3

• I live here
  • Insert wit here
« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2006, 17:35 »
well that was wishful thinking.

Anyway, wasn't the selector (although that needed replacing). Adjusting the linkages has given me 2nd gear back but it's still quite loose. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a replacement box...

In the meantime, have to buy it a few presents  :grin:

Offline Dom Mk3

• I live here
  • Insert wit here
« Reply #4 on: 10 February 2006, 19:04 »
presents arrived and on the car - time for some update piccies.

Additions were "smoked" (term used loosely) side repeaters and golfgti.co.uk stickers. The sharp eyed amongst you might just be able to spot the old driver and it's replacement wheels still floating about...

Next tasks: Remove locked valve caps and swap some bits over from the driver... watch this space (well, the one below it)

Offline Dom Mk3

• I live here
  • Insert wit here
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2006, 15:16 »
Today's update.

Locking valve caps removed (well, replaced the valves instead!). Decided against putting the angel eyes on this one instead opting for a different look. Ordered some smoked quad lights and smoked front indicators/fogs instead.

Here are the quads as they arrived:

You can either get clear lenses and black plastic, or smoked lenses and carbon effect plastic. I didn't want carbon effect, but I did want smoked lenses so ordered those and decided to paint them. Just as well, the carbon effect is nothing more than dimpled translucent plastic!

So here they are, masked up and being sprayed! I'm taking my time over this because it's cold so the paint doesn't try quick, and I don't really want to muff it up!

I've also fitted the FK smoked front indicators today. To be honest, the fitting is crap, they supply the wrong style bolts so I had to pop to homebase and get some real ones. The clips are a tad dubious as well.

Hopefully the look should work well once the quads are painted and fitted.

And finishing off my smoked theme, I swapped over the m3 lenses I had on the driver.

Unfortunately the gearbox is throwing a bit of a tantrum so the car's laid up until I can find a new one. Hopefully will be back on the road until late next week. For now, I've got to put up with 90bhp of dying clutch driver boredom!

Offline Dom Mk3

• I live here
  • Insert wit here
« Reply #6 on: 01 April 2006, 15:07 »
wow! that was a long time!

Finally picked up the golf last weekend with a new gearbox and clutch master/slave cylinder. Have to take it back Monday to sort a few niggling issues but nothing major...

Anyway, a few updates:

Have swapped the radio from the old car to this one:

Nothing major but does the trick!

And I've finally fitted the quad lights!

Getting closer to the finished idea in the sig ;)

Offline Dom Mk3

• I live here
  • Insert wit here
« Reply #7 on: 14 April 2006, 19:59 »

Offline Dom Mk3

• I live here
  • Insert wit here
« Reply #8 on: 26 June 2006, 20:45 »
and finally, after months of neglect, I've bought it a present...

A BMC CDA. Has to have been the most complicated induction kit install I've ever done! But, sounds the tits and seems to pull that little bit harder. Probably the noise making me think that though...

Gotta find a couple more jubilee clips, and who can guess where the intake pipe is going ;)